Raiders Draft Review

Chwf3rd25

10 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

I don't think it's about the teams they're playing for. Those WRs were already putting up stats in college.

Aiyuk - 65, 1192, 8 TDs

Jeudy - 77, 1163, 10 TDs

Lamb - 62, 1327, 14 TDS

Jefferson - 111, 1540, 18 TDs

Higgins - 59, 1167, 13 TDs

Claypool - 66, 1037, 13 TDs

Ruggs wasn't anywhere close to that with 40, 746, 7 TDs.

I'd say it's not really surprising he isn't producing as well as those in year 1 when he already didn't in college. We'll see how they're able to develop him now.

If you only look at the box score is seems Ruggs is not doing well but you have to take in consideration he is opening up the offense for everybody else and he had 3 TDs call back for not getting both feet down in the end zone.

• Like 1

12 - Still too soon. Our offense has been great without Ruggs being featured. He has been making an impact just being on the field. Hopefully his targets come, but it might not be until 2021.

19- Arnette has been okay when he has seen the field. I like the way he plays, aggressive like a DB should man the position. Still feel like a trade down would have been wise, as there was maybe options in late 1st and early 2nd. Arnette hasn’t wowed, and Jaylon Johnson is in talks for Defensive rookie of the year. To be fair, our pass rush and playcalling sucks. Makes no sense to draft DBs high, then be scared to play them in press coverage. 

3rd- Muse and Dude from Kentucky were bad misses. Sucks, would have been nice to add more talent on the defense with these picks. 

others- Amik, Simpson, Edwards- have had no impact. Hopefully they pan out the next few years 

- undrafted- this area has been nothing. Idc what MM said, guys like James Robinson are ballin. Feel like MM got cocky with all his 3rds and 4th that they were all studs. Can’t be overlooking UDFA when our defense sucks. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

And Nelly. Nelly has been a surprise hit and he's been what most thought Ruggs would be to this offense. It's a good problem. Nelly has become a go to for Carr

Ruggs needs refinement in his routes and to continue learning the positions.

Also... the Raiders are a heavy run team

I was going to say this myself.

Agholor, aside from a couple of drops (they happen, and we saw enough of them from everyone's favorite wunderkind Amari Cooper to let a few slide) has been a revelation this year at WR. Going forward, we'll have 2 legitimate deep threats for D's to have to cover, opening things up for a great TE and Slot WR in Waller and Renfrow. That could be dangerous.

To say Waller is his only competition is a bit lacking. Agholor and Renfrow draw some targets each game, as does Ingold and the RBs. There's only so may to go around and, as you pointed out, we're built to be a run-heavy team.

Ruggs' lack of statistical production doesn't concern me yet, especially because I'm just not sure how much better we can actually be on offense sometimes, given that we seem to play on a pretty high level already. Point is, if we have to "manufacture" touches for Ruggs, he doesn't need the touches. If it ain't broke...

53 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

3rd- Muse and Dude from Kentucky were bad misses.

How can you call a guy who's on IR and switching positions a bad miss? 

I swear... the same people praising Parker are out here calling rookies a bust. There is LITERAL evidence of players needing time to adapt to the game.

The expectations for rookies any more is just ridiculous.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I swear... the same people praising Parker are out here calling rookies a bust. There is LITERAL evidence of players needing time to adapt to the game.

With no off-season OTAs

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Keep drinking the Mayock kool aid. Myse sucked so bad they faked an injury to redshirt. He’s a classic athlete from a big school. Parker actually played the position. Mayock is a man , and whiffs on some picks. Ferrell and Muse are two, and Muse already in his mid 20s. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

18 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Keep drinking the Mayock kool aid. Myse sucked so bad they faked an injury to redshirt. He’s a classic athlete from a big school. Parker actually played the position. Mayock is a man , and whiffs on some picks. Ferrell and Muse are two, and Muse already in his mid 20s. 

Did they fake the operation as well?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

So you're telling me they did a fake surgery on Muse? 

• Like 1

There were 3 WR's to fit a 'Ruggs' role...

Ruggs  top 3 WR with Lamb and Jeudy. People varied order but few didn't think he was top 3. A few did but Aiyuk was usually 2nd tier except for a few posters. Hamler is the other 'type' to fill that role. Ruggs was rumored to 49ers and I doubt they pass as they took Aiyuk who I thought was 2nd round with Hamler.

Aiyuk 35 rec, 446 yds 3 TD  12.7 avg and he complements Deebo well. However most thought  SF needed WR badly so of course the rookie is featured.

Ruggs 14 rec, 256yds, 1 TD 18.3 avg not the main weapon on a run heavy team. ALL GOOD!!!

Hamler 25 rec, 275 yds, 1 TD 11 avg on a team with Ruggs college teammate Jeudy. 

So Aiyuk looks the best but probably doesn't get 35 with us. Ruggs avg with us is STELLAR!!! opens everyone else when on the field. Hamler would have been cheaper but we would have reached or missed him most likely.

I was all for Ruggs and trading up for Lamb which would have been AWESOME but very happy getting Edwards in the 3rd to fill that role when healthy. Ruggs is a weapon to be feared and gets that respect even without targets. Edwards will be a Jeffery/Robinson type WR. So I'm good with how it went down. 

Arnette I thought was a total reach but he holds his own and is great as a #2.  As a #1 he'd look like a project but Mullen isn't letting that go and Arnette has the fire to compete so were covered at CB. Amik is learning but also has too much dog fight in him. We need a bad arse FS (FA) to allow Abram to be the enforcer like Troy was for Pitt. Let him 'feel' the game and the more he's given the more bang over bust he becomes IMO. 

Glad we got something for the project WR/RB. REALLY HAPPY we saw that quickly and moved Bowden. Muse we will see but most thought 5th rounder. Simpson has seen too much action because of injuries but is solid. So I'm happy overall. I feel the secondary is solid if we get a FA/FS who can cover our 'rover/missle Abram's mistakes. Add a pass rush and I think we are a top 10-15 D.

14 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

The Raiders are 6-4 with 5 different players playing RT if that in itself doesn't prove Mayock has up graded the whole team then nothing will convince you.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

The Raiders are 6-4 with 5 different players playing RT if that in itself doesn't prove Mayock has up graded the whole team then nothing will convince you.

We were 6-4 last year with 2 rookie DE's, bad DT, and bad LB play, Burfict, Abram, and Joseph on IR, and Williams missing 2 games. 

That we're 6-4 with a clearly better offense and a supposedly "upgraded" defense isn't particularly convincing of anything considering the roster moves and investments. 

Of the 14 2019 FA's, only Incognito (out), Brown (barely plays), Joyner (misused), and Tyrell Williams (out), and Nevin Lawson remain. Of the 14, 5 were on D. We then used 5 picks on D in the first 129 picks. Ferrell has been meh, Abram has been up and down with injuries and penalties, Mullen and Crosby have been money, and Johnson has been alright. 

We went 6-4 with that, despite Abram, Burfict, and Joseph not playing. 

Fast forward to 2020, our FA class consisted of 13 players with 8 being on D. Littleton has been hampered by the scheme, Kwit was hurt, Nassib is depth, Heath is finally playing, and Collins is trash. The other 3 didn't make the team. On offense, Mariota has been a waste, Ags has been money, Whitten is motivation and veteran guidance, and neither Kush nor O'Leary are here. 8/13 with only 1 making a truly positive impact for the bulk of the games (Agholor) while Kwit was injured but is a nice piece.

Then in the draft, we essentially got Ruggs and Arnette. The rest are either gone, not playing, or so far down the depth chart that their impact is minimal. 

Then there's the blown picks we traded for guys who aren't playing. 

Yet we're 6-4 again....despite what were supposedly marked improvements from draft picks, rookies, and FA's?

Guys who were supposed to improve haven't really, though that's also on the coaches. But we've made a lot of moves that haven't translated to substantially more success than we had last year for the most part, certainly not in the W/L column, so I wouldn't base my evidence of the team being upgraded on that. If anything, we seem more stuck in neutral. 

Edited by ronjon1990

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

No . Muse is a scrub , Mayock isn’t perfect. Ferrell was another miss, Gms aren’t perfect 

How can you say a guy is a scrub who 1) Hasn't played a down in the NFL 2) Is on IR having surgery 3) Is switching positions 4) wasn't given OTA's and a shortened training camp?

The hilarious thing is, the first time Muse flashes potential, you'll be the first one on here hyping him up like you loved the pick.

• Like 1