Raiders Draft Review

Chwf3rd25

Just now, jimkelly02 said:

Sadly I just don’t see an edge being there at 15-17 that I really like.

I not on the Kwity Paye bandwagon for us. He doesn’t pair well opposite Ferrell.... we can’t possibly have another DE who can’t win with speed to the outside / can bend and run the arc.  

i think We HAVE to trade down.... unless someone falls into Lap.... and acquire additional picks....

....which means Mayock will reach like he always does..... and I’ll absolutely snap.

I doubt we trade down. And knowing Mayock/Gruden, we may see a big reach on a big need like DT that is not even projected to go in the 1st. Get ready...

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I doubt we trade down. And knowing Mayock/Gruden, we may see a big reach on a big need like DT that is not even projected to go in the 1st. Get ready...

There’s no getting ready..... in fact by bloods already boiling at the thought. 
honestly I don’t love the idea of Drafting a DT in round 1 and expecting instant results. Baremore isn’t ready and really is more of a #25-30, Tufele is solid but unspectacular- which is why he’s a 2nd rounder, and Nixon is also a raw 2nd rounder.

we need Leonard Williams- break out the check book!

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

There’s no getting ready..... in fact by bloods already boiling at the thought. 
honestly I don’t love the idea of Drafting a DT in round 1 and expecting instant results. Baremore isn’t ready and really is more of a #25-30, Tufele is solid but unspectacular- which is why he’s a 2nd rounder, and Nixon is also a raw 2nd rounder.

we need Leonard Williams- break out the check book!

I was hoping for a buy low on QW, but he finished the season playing lights out. I don’t even think a 1st would poach him away. 

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

He’d be a Pro Bowl Corner as a Nickel. I just have always had my concerns with him as an outside corner. 

I had Arnette as a mid 2nd round slot CB after the 4.56 40yd run.  I think he’d be a heck of a slot CB in press man.  I’m Just not personally ready to move him inside: rookie Year without a real offseason due to Covid, injuries and playing with 1 hand in a cast, and PG’a horrible scheme that played him in zone way too much.

but I may just be in denial I admit it.  I will say Arnettes tackling as a slot CB would be a real asset.

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I had Arnette as a mid 2nd round slot CB after the 4.56 40yd run.  I think he’d be a heck of a slot CB in press man.  I’m Just not personally ready to move him inside: rookie Year without a real offseason due to Covid, injuries and playing with 1 hand in a cast, and PG’a horrible scheme that played him in zone way too much.

but I may just be in denial I admit it.  I will say Arnettes tackling as a slot CB would be a real asset.

I think Arnette should get one more year on the outside. 

Unless CB like Farley is BPA at our 1st Rounder. Then Arnette goes inside right away. 

36 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

And a lack of a pass rush will make any DBs life tough. Wished we seen more of Amik in the slot to see if he can play. I thought he was going be a steal but has had no impact. No way Joyner returns on that salary. 

Just now, Humble_Beast said:

And a lack of a pass rush will make any DBs life tough. Wished we seen more of Amik in the slot to see if he can play. I thought he was going be a steal but has had no impact. No way Joyner returns on that salary. 

I got into a semi heated thing about Amik With a few people on here.  I said he wasn’t going to be make any impact year 1 while everyone else said he’d replace Joyner before TC ended.

i also said I wouldn’t draft him in round 3 because I thought he could be had in round 4.... and he ends up in round 5.

My point being.... damn I’ve been right a lot this year!  Just kidding.... my point being I think the plan always was to sit him.... so I wouldn’t get too down on amik.

I think we should have started to play amik and and some of the other young guys as soon as we were eliminated from the playoffs.

48 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I think Arnette should get one more year on the outside. 

Unless CB like Farley is BPA at our 1st Rounder. Then Arnette goes inside right away. 

Absolutely!

I think this is going to be another year (3rd in a row... actually 4th in some regards because we just missed out on McGlinchey but traded down for Miller- that ended go very good in the end though) where our needs and the prospects available don’t mesh up at all.

Mayock has to have learned his lesson by now though right?  Seriously do you all think he’ll reach again?  He constantly talks about reflecting on mistakes snd being accountable and doing better- surely he’s got to know he’s gotta be able to trade down and take some degree of risk?

Just now, jimkelly02 said:

Absolutely!

I think this is going to be another year (3rd in a row... actually 4th in some regards because we just missed out on McGlinchey but traded down for Miller- that ended go very good in the end though) where our needs and the prospects available don’t mesh up at all.

Mayock has to have learned his lesson by now though right?  Seriously do you all think he’ll reach again?  He constantly talks about reflecting on mistakes snd being accountable and doing better- surely he’s got to know he’s gotta be able to trade down and take some degree of risk?

Yes part of our drafting and needs not lining up has just been down right unlucky. 

Let’s say this was last year’s class where we needed a corner... 

12) Surtain or Farley 19) Waddle. Boom. 

And I would hope Mayock doesn’t reach again, but if the need doesn’t line up, they have already proven back to back drafts they will massively reach if they have to. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Yes part of our drafting and needs not lining up has just been down right unlucky. 

Let’s say this was last year’s class where we needed a corner... 

12) Surtain or Farley 19) Waddle. Boom. 

And I would hope Mayock doesn’t reach again, but if the need doesn’t line up, they have already proven back to back drafts they will massively reach if they have to. 

Yeah... very unlucky how that has played out.

so you think Mayock will not learn his lesson about reaching and will continue to do so if the opportunity presents itself?

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Absolutely!

I am not convinced Arnette is anything more than a 3rd CB/nickel, he could end up being a 2 but will never be a 1.  

Would you be opposed to drafting a top CB in this upcoming draft if they are BPA?  

I also hope we lose tomorrow, the improvement in draft position far outweighs the meaningless win.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

3 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I am not convinced Arnette is anything more than a 3rd CB/nickel, he could end up being a 2 but will never be a 1.  

Would you be opposed to drafting a top CB in this upcoming draft if they are BPA?  

I also hope we lose tomorrow, the improvement in draft position far outweighs the meaningless win.

I’d like to win and go 8-8 so it’s not a “losing season”.  If we win and Arizona beats LA Rams we stay at 16, if we win and Az loses we move to 17.

If we lose and SF wins we move to 15. The remaining teams 6-9 currently at 11-14 all have SOS advantages over us so we can’t jump them.

Im Usually with you on tanking.... when your out of the playoffs the seasons over IMO..... but given the upside of losing is only 1 spot I’d rather end the year as “not a losing season” and hope we can build off that and recruit some FAs.

4 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’d like to win and go 8-8 so it’s not a “losing season”.  If we win and Arizona beats LA Rams we stay at 16, if we win and Az loses we move to 17.

If we lose and SF wins we move to 15. The remaining teams 6-9 currently at 11-14 all have SOS advantages over us so we can’t jump them.

Im Usually with you on tanking.... when your out of the playoffs the seasons over IMO..... but given the upside of losing is only 1 spot I’d rather end the year as “not a losing season” and hope we can build off that and recruit some FAs.

If all that is true which it sounds like you researched it then the win may be better than the 1 slot advantage.  I just assumed that it would be a few slots say from 17 to potentially 14. Then I would take the L for sure.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

This can not be stated enough!!! 

If you improve the pass rush, the secondary will improve.  It's like magic lol