Raiders Draft Review

Chwf3rd25

34 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

A lot of very good DL were never elite athletes. Michael Bennett, Justin Tuck, etc. All those guys helped their teams win superbowls. Ferrell needs to continue to become stronger and put moves and counters together. If he can do that, he can become a very good player.

None of those guys were drafted top 5... we been wasting draft assets on a yearly basis. Is it all gloom? Of course not, but could be better. We are making moves at a rate that will get us as wild card contenders, I want to be super bowl contenders...

• 2 weeks later...

I like our 2019 draft class a lot better then our 2020. I’ll have to give this year a C- . I do like our rookies, just would think 2 1st rounders, and All those 3rds would have a high impact. I liked our 4ths too, but they haven’t seen a lick of playing time. Is Nevin Lawson really that much better than Amik

Edited by Humble_Beast

On 12/6/2020 at 2:23 AM, Bitty 2.0 said:

Everyone is down on Ferrell but I see a DE that gets pressure on the QB just to see the QB step up or take off running. Not everything is so clear cut.

Is Ferrell a HOF DE? No but he's a solid ten plus year player.

My issue is how do you pays these type of players when contract comes up? They likely will want to test the market for a bigger deal. You can't keep them and overpay its not worth it. So we spend a 4th overall pick for a meh player that leaves after 5 years.

On 12/6/2020 at 10:23 AM, Bitty 2.0 said:

Everyone is down on Ferrell but I see a DE that gets pressure on the QB just to see the QB step up or take off running. Not everything is so clear cut.

Problem is most people saw that pre draft and why few thought he would be worth the #4 pick. 

Its gonna be a bad look when miami got bowden out there torching us. Has Raekwon Mcmillian played 10 snaps yet for us?? This was a bad offseason for mayock and gruden. People actually tried to give them credit for moving on from a player so fast, that they drafted high and try to get to change positions in a messed up offseason..lolol..

7 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Its gonna be a bad look when miami got bowden out there torching us. Has Raekwon Mcmillian played 10 snaps yet for us?? This was a bad offseason for mayock and gruden. People actually tried to give them credit for moving on from a player so fast, that they drafted high and try to get to change positions in a messed up offseason..lolol..

Bowden got 9 targets last week. Has Gruden targeted either of his rookie WRs that much in a game? 

The 2020 was an unmitigated disaster from FA to the draft. They needed to fix an anemic defense and somehow it got worse. But yeah, they invested HUGE in a backup QB. And added a  WR 12 overall in the draft who gets 2-3 targets a game.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 10:23 AM, Bitty 2.0 said:

Good point, I see a guy developing and though he'll never be a Khalil Mack he has the looks (to me) of a very solid end. Draft value is always going to be debatable but a real quality 3T or UT I feel will make Crosby and Ferrell so much more effective. We did try to do that with Collins but obviously it didnt work out.

That to me should be priority #1 in the offseason, closely followed by a rangy FS, those who know me know I advocate for a pass rushing DT almost every off season 😁😁....... Kinlaw was this year!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Bowden got 9 targets last week. Has Gruden targeted either of his rookie WRs that much in a game? 

The 2020 was an unmitigated disaster from FA to the draft. They needed to fix an anemic defense and somehow it got worse. But yeah, they invested HUGE in a backup QB. And added a  WR 12 overall in the draft who gets 2-3 targets a game.

I'm trying not to be pessimistic, but I agree I don't see the plan.

Like I still think Mayock is a smart guy and will adjust from his mistakes, but I don't understand why you draft bowden without giving him the chance to develop. It seems like dysfunction on the coaching end.

I don't know why you draft Ruggs and talk about his potential as a gunner/kick returner and don't throw him slants or shallow/deep crossers for the whole ******* season (where he made his $ at alabama). Hell we haven't even given him a lot of double moves to run.

I don't know why you draft muse without a plan when you have established starters at LB but not at safety where you put your trust in a career journeyman. I don't want to close the door on any rookies (i.e. look at Kolton Miller), but I need to see more of the big picture plan.

13 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Good point, I see a guy developing and though he'll never be a Khalil Mack he has the looks (to me) of a very solid end. Draft value is always going to be debatable but a real quality 3T or UT I feel will make Crosby and Ferrell so much more effective. We did try to do that with Collins but obviously it didnt work out.

That to me should be priority #1 in the offseason, closely followed by a rangy FS, those who know me know I advocate for a pass rushing DT almost every off season 😁😁....... Kinlaw was this year!

Feel like a broken record always talking about a stud DT lol. Since we took Hayden over Star or Sheldon Richardson lol. Can’t believe that’s been around 8 years ago. I remember everyone always wanting to get a stud DT next to Mack. 

-DT, Edge, FS I don’t see how those aren’t our top draft needs without free agent help. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm trying not to be pessimistic, but I agree I don't see the plan.

Like I still think Mayock is a smart guy and will adjust from his mistakes, but I don't understand why you draft bowden without giving him the chance to develop. It seems like dysfunction on the coaching end.

I don't know why you draft Ruggs and talk about his potential as a gunner/kick returner and don't throw him slants or shallow/deep crossers for the whole ******* season (where he made his $ at alabama). Hell we haven't even given him a lot of double moves to run.

I don't know why you draft muse without a plan when you have established starters at LB but not at safety where you put your trust in a career journeyman. I don't want to close the door on any rookies (i.e. look at Kolton Miller), but I need to see more of the big picture plan.

Same. Nothing makes sense with Gruden. The offense has been successful to a point, so he's flown under the radar some. But it makes no sense to draft a home run hitter like Ruggs, then give him little opportunity to make plays. Edwards was a stud at So Carolina and has made a couple big catches that get you excited, but is a lost man in the rotation. 

I also think Mayock is handcuffed in the draft. The early picks (especially 2020) had Gruden's fingerprints all over them. As did the FA signings (Witten.... get that stuff out of here). 

They had 5 picks in the first 100 picks... and have nothing show for it. I'll be blindly optimistic as you don't judge a rookie class in year 1, but it left a lot to be desired. 

And I truly think you put Ruggs and Edwards on any other team and they'd be know quantities. Ruggs in almost any offense getting targets, he'd be talked about among the top rookies. Top draft gurus worried about his impact with Carr and the Raiders and you're seeing why. They failed to maximize his potential properly. 

• Like 3

On 12/16/2020 at 12:29 AM, dante9876 said:

It wasn't his talent level that got him traded it was his attitude. The last straw was when he took a phone call from a car dealership in the middle of the team meeting.