Raiders Draft Review

Chwf3rd25

Ideal scenario is (1) completely removing Gruden from the draft room and (2) stop spending high draft capital on offensive skill players.

Gruden's great with vets so just load up the defense with high pedigree talent and let Gruden continue to find the Wallers, Algholors, Renfrows, Charlie Garners, Jerry Rices, etc.

4 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Ideal scenario is (1) completely removing Gruden from the draft room and (2) stop spending high draft capital on offensive skill players.

Gruden's great with vets so just load up the defense with high pedigree talent and let Gruden continue to find the Wallers, Algholors, Renfrows, Charlie Garners, Jerry Rices, etc.

Gruden should be hands off in the draft. He has a proven track record of failure now dating back to Tampa with roster construction. Let Mayock handle it top to bottom.

Gruden should make the shopping list, Mayock should pick the groceries. 

Arnette doesn't look like a 1st round pick.  I cringed when I heard we drafted him and my gut was right.  Reach/panic pick at it's finest once AJ Terrell went off the board.

That being said if there is a std CB on the board at 12-15 (hopefully we lose next week) do we pull the trigger?  I would not be opposed because Arnette has shown me nothing this year and is already 24 years old.

3 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Arnette doesn't look like a 1st round pick.  I cringed when I heard we drafted him and my gut was right.  Reach/panic pick at it's finest once AJ Terrell went off the board.

That being said if there is a std CB on the board at 12-15 (hopefully we lose next week) do we pull the trigger?  I would not be opposed because Arnette has shown me nothing this year and is already 24 years old.

Ya, Arnette looks like the Day 2 projection. I don’t think he has a great ceiling, but hopefully he can be a solid starter with an improve defense and pass rush. I was pissed at the pick, and Arnette doing so much to prove his haters wrong 

2 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Ya, Arnette looks like the Day 2 projection. I don’t think he has a great ceiling, but hopefully he can be a solid starter with an improve defense and pass rush. I was pissed at the pick, and Arnette doing so much to prove his haters wrong 

If a stud CB is on the board when we pick would you be mad if we pulled the trigger? A stud CB is a need IMO.... 

Just now, Humble_Beast said:

He doesn't and it's why I continue to pan the pick when he looks awful. Being "pro ready" isn't a draft strategy, it's an excuse for reaching. 

He was a maxed out decent floor player, not a 1st round stud with potential. Old, piss poor tackler, ok enough in coverage. 

I don't ever want to draft an Ohio St CB in the first ever again. 

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

He doesn't and it's why I continue to pan the pick when he looks awful. Being "pro ready" isn't a draft strategy, it's an excuse for reaching. 

He was a maxed out decent floor player, not a 1st round stud with potential. Old, piss poor tackler, ok enough in coverage. 

He’ll be ok if he can ever play with both hands seriously it’s almost impossible for a physical cb to play with one hand. It’s almost impossible to tackle with one hand. Arnette has been playing with one hand for 2 years in a row now.

fwiw

i wanted aj Terrell and Jefferson in last years first round

3 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

If a stud CB is on the board when we pick would you be mad if we pulled the trigger? A stud CB is a need IMO.... 

I don't see one in this draft tbh. 

Pat Surtain Jr maybe. Asante Samuel Jr maybe. Granted, Gruden might be fooled into thinking they're actually their fathers and take the bait lol. 

I'd rather target a CB in round 3 or so if needed. I think FA is a stronger class for CBs though.

22 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

No. Keep drafting DBs in the first, and wonder why we suck. The game is still won in the trenches. I would go DT, edge, LB even FS or OL before corner. We just drafted Mullen and Arnette, need to develop them to be Atleast decent starters. 

idk if I was calling shots, I would rarely go DBs, or RBs in the first. Game is won in the trenches, QB play, and getting talented playmakers. I prolly wouldn’t have drafted Jacobs either, which people will criticize. I know Jacobs is a stud, but was there a big difference last night between him and Myles Gaskin? There’s just a few positions I wouldn’t draft high unless there is a future hall of fame talent. CBS and RBs are a few of those positions. Who drafts all these DBs with no pass rush...the Raiders shoot themselves in the foot, of course all these young DBs are getting burned...

Edited by Humble_Beast

26 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Feels like all Mayock first were pro ready except maybe Ruggs. Crazy how Kolton Miller was considered the Gruden reach, but he is probably better than all MM first. MM seems to go with the low risk, pro ready guys. Regardless if he is getting the most value. 

7 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

No. Keep drafting DBs in the first, and wonder why we suck. The game is still won in the trenches. I would go DT, edge, LB even FS or OL before corner. We just drafted Mullen and Arnette, need to develop them to be Atleast decent starters. 

idk if I was calling shots, I would rarely go DBs, or RBs in the first. Game is won in the trenches, QB play, and getting talented playmakers. I prolly wouldn’t have drafted Jacobs either, which people will criticize. I know Jacobs is a stud, but was there a big difference last night between him and Myles Gaskin? There’s just a few positions I wouldn’t draft high unless there is a future hall of fame talent. CBS and RBs are a few of those positions. Who drafts all these DBs with no pass rush...the Raiders shoot themselves in the foot, of course all these young DBs are getting burned...

I agree that a 3T is a much more of a major need than Cb but is there a 3T in the 15 range that is worth drafting? 

I'm sick of reaching for players at positions of need AKA Arnette as we need to go BPA.