Raiders Draft Review

Chwf3rd25

On 12/28/2020 at 9:28 PM, Humble_Beast said:

You think Arnette could be a coverage FS. A lot of solid CB in our draft range 

Dude no lol. Leave Arnette and let him develop. A coach that plays him and Mullen to their strength will do wonders. 

Fix the line and the secondary will look better. If you want a FS then grab the one from TCU. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The thought of taking another corner in round 1 is annoying to me. Sign a vet and let guys develop. Invest elsewhere on defense in the draft.

This, last thing the secondary needs is a young player learning to play in the NFL, we need some leadership in the back end. 

Also, as it relates to the CB question, you dont fall for the sunk cost fallacy. Who cares if we spent picks on corners? If the corners we have aren't getting it done, you can still try drafting to replace. I still think edge rush is the biggest need, but that has to be balanced with BPA. 

I don't really look into the draft pool until post-combine usually, so I cant comment on guys in the middle of the first round.

28 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

Also, as it relates to the CB question, you dont fall for the sunk cost fallacy. Who cares if we spent picks on corners? If the corners we have aren't getting it done, you can still try drafting to replace. I still think edge rush is the biggest need, but that has to be balanced with BPA. 

I don't really look into the draft pool until post-combine usually, so I cant comment on guys in the middle of the first round.

If there is a top flight corner on the board and he's the obvious best player, then sure. I just want to see them draft players with some star potential vs. trying to hit singles in round 1. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

He's rarely had opportunities. Couple end arounds. Most his routes are deep. They are not scheming to get him the ball in space. 

Taking into account

1) The negative impact COVID had on the offseason/training camp/preseason, and

2) The fact that rookie WRs don't usually grasp Gruden's offense until Year 2 at the earliest

I can understand if the strategy was to use Ruggs primarily as a decoy and/or deep threat this season and expect more from him next season once he's had a full season/OTAs/Training Camp/Preseason under his belt to get acclimated to Carr and the offense. If that wasn't the primary strategy for this season, then they failed to use him adequately.

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The thought of taking another corner in round 1 is annoying to me. Sign a vet and let guys develop. Invest elsewhere on defense in the draft.

Totally agree. My personal opinion on our draft strategy should be going for Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah in the 1st and Best Available D-Line prospect in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Side note: Don't see this happening at all, but what about taking Owusu-Koramoah in the 1st and trading our 2nd and 3rd to Minnesota for Harrison Smith?

3 hours ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Totally agree. My personal opinion on our draft strategy should be going for Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah in the 1st and Best Available D-Line prospect in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Side note: Don't see this happening at all, but what about taking Owusu-Koramoah in the 1st and trading our 2nd and 3rd to Minnesota for Harrison Smith?

Tad too rich. 2021 is a contract year for Smith. I wouldn't want to give up 2 day 2 picks for someone who might walk at the end of the year. At that point, we're genuinely better throwing top S money at Maye or Simmons. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Taking into account

1) The negative impact COVID had on the offseason/training camp/preseason, and

2) The fact that rookie WRs don't usually grasp Gruden's offense until Year 2 at the earliest

I can understand if the strategy was to use Ruggs primarily as a decoy and/or deep threat this season and expect more from him next season once he's had a full season/OTAs/Training Camp/Preseason under his belt to get acclimated to Carr and the offense. If that wasn't the primary strategy for this season, then they failed to use him adequately.

They failed. He was a good decoy, but you need to give your young players a chance to do what they do well. Where were the catch and run plays at the very least for this guy?