Raiders sign Beasley to PS, claim Takk McKinley

NYRaider

I don't have a ton of faith in Beasley offering anything. I think it's pretty clear his NFL sack leading year is the outlier. 

Takk, I think has some solid potential still and could fill a role here. Hopefully he gets healthy.

After last night, and really what we have seen all season though, it's totally a smart pair of signings. We need anyone that has any potential to make an impact rushing the passer, and anyone that can make the rotation of guys capable of getting ANY push deeper so it can be maintained for an entire game. Really like the signings for that reason alone. 

50 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

I don't have a ton of faith in Beasley offering anything. I think it's pretty clear his NFL sack leading year is the outlier. 

Takk, I think has some solid potential still and could fill a role here. Hopefully he gets healthy.

After last night, and really what we have seen all season though, it's totally a smart pair of signings. We need anyone that has any potential to make an impact rushing the passer, and anyone that can make the rotation of guys capable of getting ANY push deeper so it can be maintained for an entire game. Really like the signings for that reason alone. 

Yep, very little downside to see if they can offer anything in a rotational role. They are both kind of speed rushers I believe so that is a bit different from what we have in base DE Ferrell and the persistent and high effort Crosby. Key is the only real lighter, bendy edge rusher we have right now so one of them might be able to give us a few pass rush reps.

24 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, very little downside to see if they can offer anything in a rotational role. They are both kind of speed rushers I believe so that is a bit different from what we have in base DE Ferrell and the persistent and high effort Crosby. Key is the only real lighter, bendy edge rusher we have right now so one of them might be able to give us a few pass rush reps.

For sure. And while who knows if the players will work out, I think that's a desperately needed aspect we don't currently have. Especially if we insist on trying to play Ferrell inside like we have at times. I think the lack of speed and bend around the edge makes putting Ferrell inside utterly useless because without someone to bend the edge at least a little next to him and no real stud interior rusher next to him, the OL can just pass these less twithcy athletes down the line. 

Now a lot will also depend on Gunther, who I frankly think is the biggest thing that could keep us from the playoffs. We don't have a lot of elite talent, but the defense is so vanilla man. If he insists on only rushing 4 as much as he does we have to find some juice among the DL. Like I said I don't have much faith in Beasley at all, but I do think there's some hope Takk can get healthy and be a decent contributor on the DL in some big games. We'll see. I don't see any way it's going to hurt us though. Hopefully all these guys hit to a degree and come playoff time we can have 4 good but not great ends that all offer different things with Ferrell being the consistent edge setter, Crosby being the high effort good athlete that is more of an exclusive pass rusher, Beasley being the super athletic 3rd down only rusher, and Takk being the great athlete, decent edge setter, high upside guy. If that happens you can mix and match those guys in a lot of different ways in a lot of different situations (a creative DC could anyway). Hopefully Irving can get in better shape and less rust and be the interior presence we are sorely lacking inside at DT. If we can get even half of what those 3 guys are capable of it could be a huge boost to the defense. 

I still believe in Rod as a DL coach so while Beasley is a little older and doesn't have as much untapped potential because of less experience and youth, Takk still does. And I think Rod could definitely be a guy that could help him reach some of that potential. 

Basically I'm keeping my expectations super low, but last night was another instance that showed painfully clear that we need some juice all across the DL and after 10 games a still relatively young guy with a season of leading the NFL in sacks on his resume and a former first round pick that has shown capable of getting you 4-7 sacks off the edge and is still super young are about as good as you could hope for. 

• Like 1

Awesome.. low risk high reward.

Think. VB come here and can rejuvenate his career. They say change of scenery right.

TM also. He was drafted quite high..he has talent. Why not kick the tires. 

So if they can play great. .if they are who they have shown recently then bye bye