2021 draft talk

Johnny Nix

9 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Devonta Smith looking extremely impressive tonight. 

He is extremely impressive.  He also got hurt yet again, and is still 170 lbs.  I don't think he is a John Ross, but him holding up over an NFL schedule taking NFL hits is still a concern.  He's 10-15 lbs less than Tyreek Hill while being 3 inches taller.  That is slight.  That's the comparison people like to make, and athletically I can see it, but Hill is a lot more rugged than Smith.

Yeah, I love Smith as a player but sure hope the Bengals don't use their top pick on a WR. 

We need depth more than a WR1 at this point. Higgins is a good WR2, maybe a WR1. Boyd is a great slot guy and quality WR2. Tate is ok as WR4 or 5. We can probably bring back Ericson or Thomas for special teams. So we could use another veteran or a pick in round 3 or later to add some talent. But replacing Green and Ross isn't nearly as high a priority as upgrading the O-line and D-line. 

22 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, I love Smith as a player but sure hope the Bengals don't use their top pick on a WR. 

We need depth more than a WR1 at this point. Higgins is a good WR2, maybe a WR1. Boyd is a great slot guy and quality WR2. Tate is ok as WR4 or 5. We can probably bring back Ericson or Thomas for special teams. So we could use another veteran or a pick in round 3 or later to add some talent. But replacing Green and Ross isn't nearly as high a priority as upgrading the O-line and D-line. 

On principal, I agree.  The problem is that we aren't sure if there is another lineman worth a top 10 pick.  I'm not all that bullish on the top end of the Edge rushers in this class, and if we miss on Penei, I don't want us to reach just because we need oline.  Trade down could be a good option, but conversely, someone has to want to trade up.  I think Chase is absolutely a top 5 talent in this draft class though, and if we are staying at 5, then we should take a top 5 talent.  This becomes more plausible if we do seriously address the oline in FA.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

On principal, I agree.  The problem is that we aren't sure if there is another lineman worth a top 10 pick.  I'm not all that bullish on the top end of the Edge rushers in this class, and if we miss on Penei, I don't want us to reach just because we need oline.  Trade down could be a good option, but conversely, someone has to want to trade up.  I think Chase is absolutely a top 5 talent in this draft class though, and if we are staying at 5, then we should take a top 5 talent.  This becomes more plausible if we do seriously address the oline in FA.

I think that's where most of us are at this point

• Like 1

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

He is extremely impressive.  He also got hurt yet again, and is still 170 lbs.  I don't think he is a John Ross, but him holding up over an NFL schedule taking NFL hits is still a concern.  He's 10-15 lbs less than Tyreek Hill while being 3 inches taller.  That is slight.  That's the comparison people like to make, and athletically I can see it, but Hill is a lot more rugged than Smith.

Can’t say I like the Hill comparison. I think Calvin Ridley is a bit more apt. Similar size (though Ridley is a bit heavier at 189lbs) and skillset. Ridley’s held up well injury-wise so far, but you never know with these things. 

I still like Chase more at 5 right now if we go the receiver route.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 1:34 PM, INbengalfan said:

Or do something totally unheard of................. trade a future first or second for another OT on a team needing cap space.

i was thinking about this the other day and i saw that ryan ramczyk has a $0 cap hit if the saints released him this year which they’re gonna need to release some guys to get below the cap line. so i was thinking we send our 2nd (38overall) to them for him and take on his contract for them. would save them some money while also getting some relatively high draft capital in return. 

16 hours ago, BengalsBite said:

i don’t understand this at all. please elaborate 

Bengals should draft the player who improves the team the most. If the BPA is a QB, we shouldn't take him because it's not a position of need for us. Same thing with WR. We should add a couple of WRs this offseason to replace Green, Ross, plus Ericson or Thomas if they leave. But we're set at WR1 with Higgins and WR2 with Boyd. We can fill our WR needs with moderately priced free agents or midround rookies. It's simply not a first round need therefore adding a first round receiver doesn't improve the team as much as adding a top talent at a position of greater need. 

That's why most of us want Sewell and would be upset if the team passed on him. If he's off the board because we beat the Texans, our fallback options should be other top talents at positions where we are thin. If there were another O-lineman worthy of pick 5, I'd be all for taking him. If there were a top DE prospect he'd be fine too. But those guys aren't in this draft. What we have to choose from are Parsons, Surtain, Chase/Smith, and some QBs. Parsons would be ok as he's a top talent at a position of need. Surtain is also a top talent and we could use better CB play, especially if WJ3 leaves or they want to move on from Waynes. 

I'd be on board for Surtain, but not Parsons.  Off ball LB at #5 with the needs this team has is questionable at best.  He probably ends up a better player than Wilson, Pratt, or ADG, but the improvement we get from that spot isn't going to elevate the defense the way a premier edge rusher or CB would.

My top 3 (assuming 2 QB's go Top 5) is, in order:

Sewell
Surtain
Chase

I think Higgins is more of a very good #2 than a true #1.  I hope i'm wrong, but I think adding Chase makes that an elite unit in the league for the next 3 years.

Sewell or bust for oline, not sure if I take any others top 10, let alone top 5.

I don't think any edge rusher in this class is a top 10 guy, but there should be a solid prospect on day 2, that's where the depth is in this edge class.

Devonta Smith is electric, but at 6'1" 170 lbs, that is slight.  If he bulks up to 190 or so, how does that affect his speed and agility?  I bet he weighs in at the combine close to 185, but that's certainly not what he played at this year.  Because if he does and the testing numbers (if he even runs at the combine, which he might not) will be great, but a little less great than expected, and people will say, "well just look how fast he plays on tape".

Chase looks like a Stefon Diggs clone, but a little bigger and a little faster.

Edited by THE DUKE

54 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals should draft the player who improves the team the most. If the BPA is a QB, we shouldn't take him because it's not a position of need for us. Same thing with WR. We should add a couple of WRs this offseason to replace Green, Ross, plus Ericson or Thomas if they leave. But we're set at WR1 with Higgins and WR2 with Boyd. We can fill our WR needs with moderately priced free agents or midround rookies. It's simply not a first round need therefore adding a first round receiver doesn't improve the team as much as adding a top talent at a position of greater need. 

That's why most of us want Sewell and would be upset if the team passed on him. If he's off the board because we beat the Texans, our fallback options should be other top talents at positions where we are thin. If there were another O-lineman worthy of pick 5, I'd be all for taking him. If there were a top DE prospect he'd be fine too. But those guys aren't in this draft. What we have to choose from are Parsons, Surtain, Chase/Smith, and some QBs. Parsons would be ok as he's a top talent at a position of need. Surtain is also a top talent and we could use better CB play, especially if WJ3 leaves or they want to move on from Waynes. 

Drafting for need is the reason this roster is in such disarray. Take the best prospect, period. If that’s Surtain. Fine. If it’s Chase, also fine.

At this point our quickest chance to compete is to load up on offense. This is generally an offensive/QB driven league. We can worry about the defense later, IMO.

Look at it this way: Would you rather draft a CB in hopes this bad defense turns into an average defense, or draft  a WR that could turn this good offense into a great offense? Give me the latter.

• Like 1