2021 draft talk

Johnny Nix

7 hours ago, BengalsBite said:

i agree with this. even if you bring in a RT in free agency. you can easily play jonah, FA RT, or sewell at a guard spot for a year or so if you have to 

If we land a FA RT that is a legit starter and not a Bobby Hart clone, then you put Sewell at LT and bump Jonah into LG.  Resign Spain and let him and XSF battle it out for RG.

Not a chance I trade back if Sewell is there.  Assuming he's gone (and unfortunately, I think he will be), then you entertain offers as I don't think anyone else is a can't miss top 5 guy.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

If we land a FA RT that is a legit starter and not a Bobby Hart clone, then you put Sewell at LT and bump Jonah into LG.  Resign Spain and let him and XSF battle it out for RG.

Not a chance I trade back if Sewell is there.  Assuming he's gone (and unfortunately, I think he will be), then you entertain offers as I don't think anyone else is a can't miss top 5 guy.

I've been on this train for months if we get Sewell.  Put him at LT.  Then grab another RT (trade/draft/FA) for RT and move Jonah to LG.  Hopkins and Price can battle it out for C, but even with a new OL coach, I would think Hopkins would win.

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

I've been on this train for months if we get Sewell.  Put him at LT.  Then grab another RT (trade/draft/FA) for RT and move Jonah to LG.  Hopkins and Price can battle it out for C, but even with a new OL coach, I would think Hopkins would win.

Price has been bad at guard, but has looked equal to Hopkins at center. Free agents this year look heavier at guard than tackle,  I'm not sure I'd expect us to find a starter at tackle. I  think Jonah can play on the right, but there will also be options later if we trade down. 

3 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Price has been bad at guard, but has looked equal to Hopkins at center. Free agents this year look heavier at guard than tackle,  I'm not sure I'd expect us to find a starter at tackle. I  think Jonah can play on the right, but there will also be options later if we trade down. 

This gets back to why i want to keep Jackson or a similar level CB.  Get the need there off the board.  We could go Sewell and still grab Leatherwood or someone like him in the second and let the pieces fall where they may.  Or do something totally unheard of................. trade a future first or second for another OT on a team needing cap space.  I know he's struggled this year, but I would absolutely call the Giants about Thomas and move him to RT.  

32 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

This gets back to why i want to keep Jackson or a similar level CB.  Get the need there off the board.  We could go Sewell and still grab Leatherwood or someone like him in the second and let the pieces fall where they may.  Or do something totally unheard of................. trade a future first or second for another OT on a team needing cap space.  I know he's struggled this year, but I would absolutely call the Giants about Thomas and move him to RT.  

If the Giants are stupid enough to give up on Andrew Thomas already, then yes, we should absolutely cash in on that.

Giants aren't going to trade Thomas this offseason. There are likely to be some overpaid vets getting cut at the beginning of free agency so we might go panning for gold there. But let's hire a new O-line coach with a record of success first, preferably in the NFL. 

15 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Giants aren't going to trade Thomas this offseason. There are likely to be some overpaid vets getting cut at the beginning of free agency so we might go panning for gold there. But let's hire a new O-line coach with a record of success first, preferably in the NFL. 

Probably not, but that type of player could be targeted with a future 1/2 rounder.  Could be a veteran we try to trade for, and the price from us should go down.  I just picked a name off the top of my head.

21 hours ago, BengalsBite said:

i agree with this. even if you bring in a RT in free agency. you can easily play jonah, FA RT, or sewell at a guard spot for a year or so if you have to 

I think you move Jonah back to RT where he played in college. Put Sewell at LT and then attack OG and C in FA and in the 3/4 rounds. 

todd mcshay has the bengals selecting rashawn slater in his latest mock. he basically says like “he’s the best OL after sewell is gone so they pick him here.” 

i would simply hate it

he also says to watch for the bengals to move up to grab sewell. someone else had us moving up to 3 to grab sewell but idr who

13 minutes ago, BengalsBite said:

he also says to watch for the bengals to move up to grab sewell. someone else had us moving up to 3 to grab sewell but idr who

Haha yeah right.  They would likely literally turn down a trade that was 5 and Hart for 3 (Sewell).  So no, we can't expect them to trade up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, theJ said:

Haha yeah right.  They would likely literally turn down a trade that was 5 and Hart for 3 (Sewell).  So no, we can't expect them to trade up.

Don't forsee a trade up, but could very easily see us taking Slater because they want a tackle and don't want to risk trading down 5+ spots where the value made sense.