2021 draft talk

Johnny Nix

1 hour ago, BengalsBite said:

here’s the safety chart which essentially says you need to have good safety play or else you’re not gonna be a very good team. 

what i get from this chart and the CB one is that having good safety play and 1 really good corner is really all you need for the secondary or else it just becomes too much investment in that area 

And that's the Colts formula.  They paid for the skill guys, built up leads, then let Freeney and Mathis rush like demons, while sanders patrolled the back end.  They failed when the offense didn't provide big leads that allowed the ends to pin their ears back and try to kill the QB.  They were very susceptible to the running game if teams stayed close or were ahead.

Nowadays, that means instead of high priced LBs, you keep multiple good CBs, as the running game has been replaced somewhat by the short passing game as a means to control clock and keep down/distance manageable.  CBs that can play tight man offset that.  Jackson can.  Waynes can.  Phillips, not so much

6 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

They have the money to do both, provided they pay them as such.  We can keep Alexander, Jackson and Lawson and still have money left for another edge by cutting dead weight.

i don’t think they really do. i don’t think they can pay lawson/wj3/an edge/and an OL. mid tier guys on the edge or OL, sure but nobody that is really gonna move the needle all that much like a barrett or clowney. 

1 hour ago, BengalsBite said:

i don’t think they really do. i don’t think they can pay lawson/wj3/an edge/and an OL. mid tier guys on the edge or OL, sure but nobody that is really gonna move the needle all that much like a barrett or clowney. 

Notice I didn't mention OL.  I'm drafting them early (and often if need be)

FWIW, PFF did a study on it a couple years ago and found the opposite, that coverage was more important than pass rush in having a good defense and winning games.

Cap allocations to a position don't mean much because good teams are that in part because players outplay their contract or they get contributions from players still on their rookie deals. 

26 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

FWIW, PFF did a study on it a couple years ago and found the opposite, that coverage was more important than pass rush in having a good defense and winning games.

okay good point. the problem with this is that it’s specifically on passing plays. their article has nothing to do with stopping the run which is about 40-50% of the plays they’ll have to face. so about 40% of the time, that CB is basically useless against the run. that edge defender is a big part of stopping the run tho.

also in terms of paying for players, in that article about coverage vs pass rush they say this:

“Thus, when it comes to buying into a player like an edge defender versus a cornerback, we’re (on average) a lot more likely to know that an edge is good or bad based on his previous work (as measured by PFF grades) than a cornerback.” 

so paying top $ for a top corner, you’re less likely to get that same level of play from that same player. but paying top $ for a top edge player, you’re probably getting similar level of play as what he’s done before 

so based on all of this, maybe another reason that the CB spending chart fell that was since 2013 is because teams took chances on CBs who have flashed in the past but has played poorly/been injured recently. then in that specific season, played well on a cheap deal 🤷🏼‍♂️ idk. i’d have to look at each specific team and circumstance to know that

Christian Darrisaw is getting a lot of heat lately from the draftniks around the web.  I didn't see any Va Tech games this year, but is a legit top 10 OT?  Does he need to be in consideration at 5, or if we were to make a short trade back to the 9-12 range?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Christian Darrisaw is getting a lot of heat lately from the draftniks around the web.  I didn't see any Va Tech games this year, but is a legit top 10 OT?  Does he need to be in consideration at 5, or if we were to make a short trade back to the 9-12 range?

Supply and demand will increase his draft stock. The league is hurting for quality OL

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

He's the guy I woul;d target if we trade back with a QB needy team, assuming Sewell was off the board at 10.  Much bigger that Slater, but not as polished.

10 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

Idk about 13 OT, maybe OL total

I think he did mean OTs

Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, Cosmi, Leatherwood, the Notre dame (Eichenberg spelling?), the Michigan one (Mayfield/Mayberry?) and those are just first rounders.  Little and a slew of other guys could easily fall in the top 100

daniel jeremiah’s new mock

Cincinnati Bengals
Cincinnati Bengals
Rashawn Slater · OT

School: Northwestern | Year: Senior

Florida TE Kyle Pitts would be tempting right here, but the Bengals must address the offensive line. Slater has five-position flexibility and his tape is outstanding. 

for context the top 4 are:

1. lawrence

2. wilson

3. chase

4. lance

.... 10. sewell

2 hours ago, BengalsBite said:

daniel jeremiah’s new mock

Cincinnati Bengals
Cincinnati Bengals
Rashawn Slater · OT

School: Northwestern | Year: Senior

Florida TE Kyle Pitts would be tempting right here, but the Bengals must address the offensive line. Slater has five-position flexibility and his tape is outstanding. 

for context the top 4 are:

1. lawrence

2. wilson

3. chase

4. lance

.... 10. sewell

Jeremiah usually is pretty reliable and has a good feel for how league circles view prospects. If Slater proves he’s worthy of the selection I have no problem taking him there. Tough to see any OL-needy team pass on Sewell though. 

• Like 1

• CIN
    Kyle Pitts
    TE Florida
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Jaelan Phillips
    EDGE Miami (FL)

• CIN
    Tyson Campbell
    CB Georgia
    trade icon