2021 draft talk

Johnny Nix

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Only way I trade from 5 to 12 is if we get a 2nd this year and a 1 next year. 

I expect we would get something along those lines. I didn’t include that in the trade, but I for sure want to load up on more picks in this draft, and if there’s a QB sitting there at 5, we would be dumb to not entertain the offers. Pitts is going to be an absolute nightmare. 

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

That's a good haul, but I don't see the team spending big on two or more free agent OL.  If they don't, give me Slater or darrisaw instead of Pitts, and a TE further down

Absolutely. This would be contingent on them spending big on the OL. If they don’t then it obviously changes everything. If you haven’t looked up those receivers yet, do yourself a favor. This is a deep receiver draft again this year. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Nix said:

Absolutely. This would be contingent on them spending big on the OL. If they don’t then it obviously changes everything. If you haven’t looked up those receivers yet, do yourself a favor. This is a deep receiver draft again this year. 

I haven't deep dove all WRs, but I know all three of those

Fired up the mock draft machine at PFN.  I thought long and hard about a trade offer from Detroit.  With Penei on the board they offered 7, 41, and their 2022 1st.  I turned it down, but in hind sight I think I would have taken it.  Maybe not, tough call.  Top 4 went Lawrence, Chase, Smith, and Fields.  Lions ended up taking Zach Wilson at 7, so if I knew they were trading up for a QB, and I knew I would have only one other pick being the Eagles, that might have changed things.  Then again, I think Penei is the last premier player at that point.  Other targets went: Surtain (11), Pitts (14), Darrisaw (15), Barmore (18), Cosmi (26), Slater (29).  Had I traded down and Penei went 6, then I probably would have tried to trade down again with Lance there (who went 8).

• CIN
    Penei Sewell
    OT Oregon

• CIN
    Carlos Basham Jr.
    EDGE Wake Forest

• CIN
    Ifeatu Melifonwu
    CB Syracuse

• CIN
    Marvin Wilson
    DT Florida State

• CIN
    Ben Cleveland
    OG Georgia

• CIN
    Josh Palmer
    WR Tennessee

• CIN
    Riley Patterson
    K Memphis

• CIN
    Ben Skowronek
    WR Notre Dame
  • Like 2

So I did lots of trade downs. Decent players acquired and well set up for next year.  Value i got for 5 is less than it should be,  but fun to look at anyway. 

• CIN
    Jalen Mayfield
    OT Michigan
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Terrace Marshall Jr.
    WR LSU
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Carlos Basham Jr.
    EDGE Wake Forest
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Dillon Radunz
    OT North Dakota State
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Brevin Jordan
    TE Miami (FL)

• CIN
    Elijah Molden
    CB Washington
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Tommy Togiai
    DT Ohio State
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Benjamin St-Juste
    CB Minnesota

• CIN
    Alaric Jackson
    OT Iowa

• 2022 SF 1st
  • 2022 SF 2nd
  • 2022 CLE 2nd
  • 2022 DEN 3rd
  • 2022 LV 3rd

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

Listening to a few different podcasts, i'm getting the impression that Sewell will likely be there at 5.  i'm also getting the impression that the Bengals taking him there may not be anywhere close to a lock.

Yeah, Daniel Jeremiah has Slater as OT1 (his arms better measure 34+" if that's the case), and there is other talk about Sewell being on a similar tier with Slater and Darrisaw and not some generational lineman prospect.  Going to be a lot of smoke over the next few months and with Sewell and Slater not playing this year, the smoke will be thick.

6 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Yeah, Daniel Jeremiah has Slater as OT1 (his arms better measure 34+" if that's the case), and there is other talk about Sewell being on a similar tier with Slater and Darrisaw and not some generational lineman prospect.  Going to be a lot of smoke over the next few months and with Sewell and Slater not playing this year, the smoke will be thick.

People are gonna get cold feet with these opt out prospects. 

20 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

It's odd Sewell seems to be taking more of a hit for it than Chase or Slater

You should read the WR thread in the NFL Draft forum.  The Devonta Smith backers question everything about Chase because he opted out from his heart to his leadership to his validity as a human being.