Jump to content

2021 draft talk


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Basham was rated as a late second in their rankings, so I went with the better value.  I consider Spain as a free agent signing. I wouldn't spend a ton on Brown,  as I think his value is perfect for the system Baltimore plays and he'd be a bit of a disappointment here. I'd rather leave Jonah at tackle and try to pick up a decent guard somewhere.  We could probably sign Spain and a similar guard for what Brown would get.

I agree.  Thuney would be ideal, but isn't coming here.  Maybe they stick to the draft for OLine but grab another guy plus try to keep Lawson at DE

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

I agree.  Thuney would be ideal, but isn't coming here.  Maybe they stick to the draft for OLine but grab another guy plus try to keep Lawson at DE

If we offer more money than anyone else, then I bet he comes here.  Thuney has rings, he has prestige, now he's going to get paid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, he's only played 5 years so far and this season is his first big check. Thuney not only hasn't allowed a sack in 2020, he's not even allowed a QB hit by his man. But that's not the sort of resume the Bengals need, right? Cut Hart, Uzomah and either XSF or BJ Finney and you have the 15 mil to pay a top talent without even dipping into our current cap space. I'd be looking to line up Jonah-Thuney-Hopkins-Spain-Sewell and move on to other areas to improve. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
First, the six remaining games should be used to evaluate younger players moving forward, as well as veterans whose contracts are up or where production is disproportionate to pay level.  I don't care if we win another game, because the top OT in the draft is now in play.  We need to look at guys like Williams at RB, Washington at WR, the TE on the practice squad, Finley and the younger Offensive linemen.  We also need to make final assessments for AJ Green, Geno Atkins, CJ Uzomah, Bobby Hart, and any other aging vets making more than $4 million per.
 
Coaching Staff:  Obviously the fan base has soured on Taylor, but the two most important people tied to his fate don't appear to be among them, that being Mike Brown and Joe Burrow.  I'm omitting Tobin because I'm the GM.  If Burrow were to question his leadership, then he's absolutely gone.  But for this exercise, he's staying, at least for now.  As soon as the clock hits zero against the Ravens and for the season, I'm sending Turner and Anarumo packing.  Their services are no longer required, even for a few hours until the next day.  Clear their offices immediately, but show them class by telling them privately ahead of time, so that they can exit without facing the media if they so choose.  As for replacements, both new hires need to be seasoned NFL veteran coaches.  No names for you here yet, but no new up and comers at either spot with Taylor still manning the captain's chair.    
 
Free Agent Players to let walk
 
John Ross... the experiment failed before it ever had a chance.  
Leshawn Sims.  He started well, but has been bad.  Like, really bad
Alex Erickson.  He provides little to the offense, and only fair catches on punt returns most of the time.  Stanley Morgan can do that, plus fill the gunner role.
Alex Redmond.  Forever on speed dial, we can call if injuries strike the OG position at any point in camp of in season.  
Randy Bullock.  I have said it for three plus years.  He makes the no pressure kicks, but fails miserably in high stakes situations.  We've been keeping Austin Seibert for a reason
Brandon Allen.  
 
Guys I'd keep but at severely reduced salaries, or let walk
 
AJ Green.  Pay him like a 3rd or fourth WR? Sure, but nothing over $5-6 million.  If his speed and explosiveness don't return, he should retire.
Shawn Williams.  Keep him as a backup on an appropriate salary?  Sure.  maybe he has something left and just clashed badly with Lou A
 
 
Re-sign
William Jackson ($9-10 mill)  His sporadic play at times is still more stable than the DC, and honestly, I want to blow draft resources on other positions
MacKenzie Alexander  Not sure his market value, but it didn't rise from the $4 mill we gave him this year
Carl Lawson.($7 mill)  He's so hot and cold, and misses a lot of time.  Wouldn't break the bank for him, but if they can find middle ground for a contract, I'm all in
Quentin Spain ($3.5 mill)  Plug him in at OG for one of the spots and don't look back
Kevin Huber ($2.5 mill)  
Brandon Wilson ($2.5 mill)  Still a solid returner and spot player at safety
Samarje Perine ($2.5 mill)  They just seem to keep him around.
Cethan Carter ($2.0 mill) just a hard-nosed do your job guy as a blocking TE and FB
Mike Daniels ($2.5 mill)  His play still declined, but he's fine as a backup
Josh Bynes ($2-3 mill)  Either keep him or sign a similar declining vet to back up and guide Wilson, ADG, Bailey and Pratt
Josh Evans ($2 mill) keep LB off of the needs list.  He plays well on special teams and is worth keeping for that role
Mike Thomas ($1.5 mill)
 
Vet Minimum guys- Covington, X Williams, Clark Harris, Bledsoe and Margus Hunt
 
 
Cap Casualties
Bobby Hart
CJ Uzomah
Xavier Sua-Filo
Most likely Geno Atkins, but I'm not sure that removing Lou A won't help him increase production
 
Outside Free Agency
OG  Joe Thuney.  Want to show Joe Burrow you're serious about protecting him?  Thuney is looking to be paid, and already has won with NE.  Pay the man
WR  If Green goes, then find a WR to fill that hole
DE  Don't know all the names that will be available, but we should be looking.  This will sound strange, but with Lou gone, I'd think about bringing back Dunlap when Seattle dumps his contract in the offseason.  They didn't push back that much money just to actually give it to him next year.
 
Extend
Jessie Bates.  Will get done in training camp just like they all do.
 
The Draft
Assuming we stay at #3 and that the Jets take Lawrence and the Jags go with Fields
 
1.  OT Penei Sewell  (Oregon) Top tackle in the class.  Move Jonah to RT or put Sewell there.  Either way, we're set at OT for quite awhile.
 
2.  DE Carlos Basham (Wake Forest) Seems to be slipping behind other fast risers, but fits the prototypical mold we have for them.  This Carlos replaces the last one.
 
3.  OG Ben Cleveland (Georgia)  6'6" 335 lbs and country boy strong.  Obvious RG candidate if the Thuney thing inevitably falls through.  Even if we get him, develop him to eventually take over for Spain.
 
4. TE Charlie Kolar (Iowa Stae)  All around guy to replace Uzomah
 
5  DT Jaylen Twyman (Pitt)  Both lines need work, and now the rebuilding of the interior defensive line begins
 
With the 6/7/7 picks, I would expect a WR, another TE and possibly a LB to replace Bynes or Evans if they left.
 

The 2021 Roster

 

QB  Burrow, Finley

RB  Mixon, Bernard, Perine, Williams, Patrick

WR  (Green or FA), Higgins, Boyd, Tate, Morgan, Thomas, Washington

TE  Sample, Kolar, Carter, Wilcox

OL  Sewell-Thuney-Hopkins-Spain-Jonah as starters

       Cleveland, Price, Jordan, Adeniji, Johnson

 

DE  Lawson, Hubbard, Basham, Kareem and FA

DT  Geno, Daniels, Twyman, Tupou, Covington

LB  Wilson, Davis-Gaither, Pratt, Bailey, Evans, Bynes (or similar FA)

CB  Jackson, Waynes, Alexander, Phillips, Rose, Brown

S  Bates, Bell, Wilson, Henderson/Williams

 

LS  Clark Harris

P  Kevin Huber

K  Austin Seibert

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2020 at 5:39 PM, INbengalfan said:
First, the six remaining games should be used to evaluate younger players moving forward, as well as veterans whose contracts are up or where production is disproportionate to pay level.  I don't care if we win another game, because the top OT in the draft is now in play.  We need to look at guys like Williams at RB, Washington at WR, the TE on the practice squad, Finley and the younger Offensive linemen.  We also need to make final assessments for AJ Green, Geno Atkins, CJ Uzomah, Bobby Hart, and any other aging vets making more than $4 million per.
 
Coaching Staff:  Obviously the fan base has soured on Taylor, but the two most important people tied to his fate don't appear to be among them, that being Mike Brown and Joe Burrow.  I'm omitting Tobin because I'm the GM.  If Burrow were to question his leadership, then he's absolutely gone.  But for this exercise, he's staying, at least for now.  As soon as the clock hits zero against the Ravens and for the season, I'm sending Turner and Anarumo packing.  Their services are no longer required, even for a few hours until the next day.  Clear their offices immediately, but show them class by telling them privately ahead of time, so that they can exit without facing the media if they so choose.  As for replacements, both new hires need to be seasoned NFL veteran coaches.  No names for you here yet, but no new up and comers at either spot with Taylor still manning the captain's chair.    
 
Free Agent Players to let walk
 
John Ross... the experiment failed before it ever had a chance.  
Leshawn Sims.  He started well, but has been bad.  Like, really bad
Alex Erickson.  He provides little to the offense, and only fair catches on punt returns most of the time.  Stanley Morgan can do that, plus fill the gunner role.
Alex Redmond.  Forever on speed dial, we can call if injuries strike the OG position at any point in camp of in season.  
Randy Bullock.  I have said it for three plus years.  He makes the no pressure kicks, but fails miserably in high stakes situations.  We've been keeping Austin Seibert for a reason
Brandon Allen.  
 
Guys I'd keep but at severely reduced salaries, or let walk
 
AJ Green.  Pay him like a 3rd or fourth WR? Sure, but nothing over $5-6 million.  If his speed and explosiveness don't return, he should retire.
Shawn Williams.  Keep him as a backup on an appropriate salary?  Sure.  maybe he has something left and just clashed badly with Lou A
 
 
Re-sign
William Jackson ($9-10 mill)  His sporadic play at times is still more stable than the DC, and honestly, I want to blow draft resources on other positions
MacKenzie Alexander  Not sure his market value, but it didn't rise from the $4 mill we gave him this year
Carl Lawson.($7 mill)  He's so hot and cold, and misses a lot of time.  Wouldn't break the bank for him, but if they can find middle ground for a contract, I'm all in
Quentin Spain ($3.5 mill)  Plug him in at OG for one of the spots and don't look back
Kevin Huber ($2.5 mill)  
Brandon Wilson ($2.5 mill)  Still a solid returner and spot player at safety
Samarje Perine ($2.5 mill)  They just seem to keep him around.
Cethan Carter ($2.0 mill) just a hard-nosed do your job guy as a blocking TE and FB
Mike Daniels ($2.5 mill)  His play still declined, but he's fine as a backup
Josh Bynes ($2-3 mill)  Either keep him or sign a similar declining vet to back up and guide Wilson, ADG, Bailey and Pratt
Josh Evans ($2 mill) keep LB off of the needs list.  He plays well on special teams and is worth keeping for that role
Mike Thomas ($1.5 mill)
 
Vet Minimum guys- Covington, X Williams, Clark Harris, Bledsoe and Margus Hunt
 
 
Cap Casualties
Bobby Hart
CJ Uzomah
Xavier Sua-Filo
Most likely Geno Atkins, but I'm not sure that removing Lou A won't help him increase production
 
Outside Free Agency
OG  Joe Thuney.  Want to show Joe Burrow you're serious about protecting him?  Thuney is looking to be paid, and already has won with NE.  Pay the man
WR  If Green goes, then find a WR to fill that hole
DE  Don't know all the names that will be available, but we should be looking.  This will sound strange, but with Lou gone, I'd think about bringing back Dunlap when Seattle dumps his contract in the offseason.  They didn't push back that much money just to actually give it to him next year.
 
Extend
Jessie Bates.  Will get done in training camp just like they all do.
 
The Draft
Assuming we stay at #3 and that the Jets take Lawrence and the Jags go with Fields
 
1.  OT Penei Sewell  (Oregon) Top tackle in the class.  Move Jonah to RT or put Sewell there.  Either way, we're set at OT for quite awhile.
 
2.  DE Carlos Basham (Wake Forest) Seems to be slipping behind other fast risers, but fits the prototypical mold we have for them.  This Carlos replaces the last one.
 
3.  OG Ben Cleveland (Georgia)  6'6" 335 lbs and country boy strong.  Obvious RG candidate if the Thuney thing inevitably falls through.  Even if we get him, develop him to eventually take over for Spain.
 
4. TE Charlie Kolar (Iowa Stae)  All around guy to replace Uzomah
 
5  DT Jaylen Twyman (Pitt)  Both lines need work, and now the rebuilding of the interior defensive line begins
 
With the 6/7/7 picks, I would expect a WR, another TE and possibly a LB to replace Bynes or Evans if they left.
 

The 2021 Roster

 

QB  Burrow, Finley

RB  Mixon, Bernard, Perine, Williams, Patrick

WR  (Green or FA), Higgins, Boyd, Tate, Morgan, Thomas, Washington

TE  Sample, Kolar, Carter, Wilcox

OL  Sewell-Thuney-Hopkins-Spain-Jonah as starters

       Cleveland, Price, Jordan, Adeniji, Johnson

 

DE  Lawson, Hubbard, Basham, Kareem and FA

DT  Geno, Daniels, Twyman, Tupou, Covington

LB  Wilson, Davis-Gaither, Pratt, Bailey, Evans, Bynes (or similar FA)

CB  Jackson, Waynes, Alexander, Phillips, Rose, Brown

S  Bates, Bell, Wilson, Henderson/Williams

 

LS  Clark Harris

P  Kevin Huber

K  Austin Seibert

good write up and I agree with almost all of it.

I think the only thing I would change for sure is Finley. I would sign someone, especially if Burrow isn't ready to start the year. Finley is terrible and you can't win with him.

In the draft I like all of it except maybe pick a kicker with one of those late picks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We shouldn't bring AJ Green back at any price, even veteran minimum. He's not the future or even the present. Let him finish his career elsewhere. Finley has no business on an NFL roster. Obviously we won't draft a developmental QB, we just need to sign a veteran stopgap/mentor to Burrow. A Matt Moore, Joe Flacco, Chad Henne, Colt McCoy type. They aren't hard to find or expensive. 

 

The team very much needs to fire Zac Taylor and hire an experienced coach. But probably none of us think they will actually do so. So the losing will continue until the inevitable denouement a couple years too late. 

 

My guess is the team will try to re-sign WJ3 and Lawson, mainly because they were drafted by the Bengals. Spotrac thinks Alexander has increased his market value to 8 mil.

Bates and Hubbard are in line for extensions so Hobson will use them as excuses for why we couldn't sign Thuney (even though we could sign Thuney by cutting some deadweight). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fluhartz said:

good write up and I agree with almost all of it.

I think the only thing I would change for sure is Finley. I would sign someone, especially if Burrow isn't ready to start the year. Finley is terrible and you can't win with him.

In the draft I like all of it except maybe pick a kicker with one of those late picks.

I was thinking about Haskins as a backup.  maybe we trade Finley for him.  I doubt he has any market at all.  it covers us in case Joes isn't ready to play game 1

 

I was with you on kicker, but the fact that Seibert  has been on the 53 man roster all season tells me he's the guy after this year when Buillock's contract expires.  maybe I'm wrong.  We shall see

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I was thinking about Haskins as a backup.  maybe we trade Finley for him.  I doubt he has any market at all.  it covers us in case Joes isn't ready to play game 1

 

I was with you on kicker, but the fact that Seibert  has been on the 53 man roster all season tells me he's the guy after this year when Buillock's contract expires.  maybe I'm wrong.  We shall see

I wouldn't mind Haskins at all, but I don't think we could get a gatorade for Finley.

 

we'll see on the kicker situation...as long as it isn't 'miss any meaningful kick fat randy'   I will be happier... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw someone on Twitter (a dude from Bleacher Report maybe?) have Sewell as the #2 OT prospect in this draft.

Edit: It was Daniel Jeremiah, and he has Rashwan Slater from Northwester as his top OT

  1. Rashawn Slater, Northwestern
  2. Penei Sewell, Oregon
  3. Alijah Vera-Tucker, USC
  4. Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech
  5. Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State
Edited by THE DUKE
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Saw someone on Twitter (a dude from Bleacher Report maybe?) have Sewell as the #2 OT prospect in this draft.

Edit: It was Daniel Jeremiah, and he has Rashwan Slater from Northwester as his top OT

  1. Rashawn Slater, Northwestern
  2. Penei Sewell, Oregon
  3. Alijah Vera-Tucker, USC
  4. Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech
  5. Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State

Huh. Well, he's supposed to basically be the best tackle prospect since Orlando Pace, so I am surprised to see that.  Still, interesting to know. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Huh. Well, he's supposed to basically be the best tackle prospect since Orlando Pace, so I am surprised to see that.  Still, interesting to know. 

Recency  bias, plus clicks grab.  It gets boring not changing things up week to week.  Kinda like when national mocks had us going Tua or Herbert

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...