Todd Gurley Fumble - Did the refs blow the call?

jrry32

49 minutes ago, RamRod said:

I don't get why people have a problem with the rule. You should have possession of the ball as you cross the goal line. If you lose the ball before and it goes out of the end zone, that's a touchback. It's unfortunate when it happens and can shift a game, like here, but I think the rule makes sense.

Nope. It doesn't make sense. One potential rule that makes sense would be giving the ball back to the offense at the spot of the fumble. A turnover where the defense never gets it's hands on the ball makes no sense.

4 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Nope. It doesn't make sense. One potential rule that makes sense would be giving the ball back to the offense at the spot of the fumble. A turnover where the defense never gets it's hands on the ball makes no sense.

I can agree with that. We stop letting offenses advance fumbles, and we stop having fumbles out of the end-zone be touchbacks.

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

have always hated that touchback rule. It doesn't make ANY sense.

Fumble it and it goes out at the 1in line? your ball at the 1in line.

Fumble it and it goes out at the -1in line? opponents ball?

whaaaaat?

Should put the ball on the 20 and whatever the next down would have been.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I don't expect the NFL to ever admit a mistake. I don't think you need crazy zoom (although, the NFL has it). Look at the head-on angle at 1:30. If you take it frame by frame, you see that the ball doesn't pop out until Gurley's hand closes. If you take a look at the picture I posted, Gurley's foot is down and his hand is still open. If you were to put those angles together, I think it would show conclusively that Gurley had his fingers on the ball there. But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. I just am annoyed that the NFL didn't seem to consider that rule in determining the right call on such an important call.

I'm not sure you should be annoyed with something you don't know, it wasn't so obvious that you know they didn't figure it in to the call.

I think as a Rams fan I would be more annoyed at the fumble itself.

44 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

have always hated that touchback rule. It doesn't make ANY sense.

Fumble it and it goes out at the 1in line? your ball at the 1in line.

Fumble it and it goes out at the -1in line? opponents ball?

whaaaaat?

I've always liked it, not sure why. It may not make complete sense but fumbling the ball in the field of play vs. out of the field of play is different.

If the QB is behind the line and fumbles the ball and in an effort to pick up the ball he accidentally kicks and it squirts out of the back of the endzone how would you call that play? Technically he punted the ball so I'm not sure it would be fair to give them the ball back. It's a reach but it's a scenario the would make just giving it back to the offense at the point of the fumble flawed.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

I've always liked it, not sure why. It may not make complete sense but fumbling the ball in the field of play vs. out of the field of play is different.

If the QB is behind the line and fumbles the ball and in an effort to pick up the ball he accidentally kicks and it squirts out of the back of the endzone how would you call that play? Technically he punted the ball so I'm not sure it would be fair to give them the ball back. It's a reach but it's a scenario the would make just giving it back to the offense at the point of the fumble flawed.

offense ball at spot of fumble. easy.

defense didn't recover in the field of play, why should they get it?

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

So illegal kicking from behind the LOS and a penalty from the spot of the kicked ball if the touchback fumble rule didn't exist? I dunno, seems like a punt to me.

Thomas, that's not a punt. It's just a fumble with the uncoordinated QB screwing up.

Archived