Weak 12: DK dunks on Philly

EaglesPeteC

37 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

I agree with all of that. Would love to see a HEATHY version of this team plus next year's rookies with a Better Staff. If we got the right coach and came away with an impact player or two from the draft.. I don't think the turnaround would be years

Spoiler: this team is pretty healthy (besides the o-line) and they are serious cheeks 

What i respect about Doug is his team always plays hard for him. Despite our team playing like the worst team in football, we haven't been blown out once. Philly always finds a way to make it a game. Fire Howie, keep doug and wentz.. make doug be HC and have his OC call plays..

55 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

Fire Howie, keep doug and wentz.. make doug be HC and have his OC call plays..

Ignore Doug's incapabilities for a moment even. When this team underperforms again in 2021, the new GM is going to fire Doug anyway. Delaying the rebuilding process by another year. He'd be a lame duck.

Doug can't playcall, and Doug can't improve players through coaching. Doug also can't hire capable subordinates. Stoutland was here before Doug, and Deuce is a former Eagle.

36 minutes ago, Danger said:

Ignore Doug's incapabilities for a moment even. When this team underperforms again in 2021, the new GM is going to fire Doug anyway. Delaying the rebuilding process by another year. He'd be a lame duck.

Doug can't playcall, and Doug can't improve players through coaching. Doug also can't hire capable subordinates. Stoutland was here before Doug, and Deuce is a former Eagle.

Staley was also a hold over from Chips coaching staff.

5 hours ago, Danger said:

He was a good enough head coach to deliver the Eagles first ever Super Bowl Championship. The past few years can't solely on him. He's 4-2 in the playoffs. Give him another year to reset his staff and get a competent GM to handle player personnel 

1 minute ago, eagles18 said:

He was a good enough head coach to deliver the Eagles first ever Super Bowl Championship. The past few years can't solely on him. He's 4-2 in the playoffs. Give him another year to reset his staff and get a competent GM to handle player personnel 

Honestly? you look at how the team was constructed specifically in 2017 and I'm giving more credit to Howie than I am Doug. Dead serious. So many of the key impact players were short term free agents or trades. And then you still had players who'd grown under Chip and weren't hindered by Doug's inability to improve... anyone. Not to mention there was just a "Team of Destiny" vibe going. The planets aligned, Doug actually was ahead of the NFL 'Meta' at the time, and we still had strong players left over from previous regimes.

Doug won because he the league hadn't yet figured out his offense, but Doug hasn't adapted one iota. It's pathetic. 

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Honestly? you look at how the team was constructed specifically in 2017 and I'm giving more credit to Howie than I am Doug. Dead serious. So many of the key impact players were short term free agents or trades. And then you still had players who'd grown under Chip and weren't hindered by Doug's inability to improve... anyone. Not to mention there was just a "Team of Destiny" vibe going. The planets aligned, Doug actually was ahead of the NFL 'Meta' at the time, and we still had strong players left over from previous regimes.

Doug won because he the league hadn't yet figured out his offense, but Doug hasn't adapted one iota. It's pathetic. 

just as recent as last year Doug was considered among the leagues most talented play designers/callers. One year doesn't change that.. Shoot, just last year we were debating who was better between McVay and Pederson. He has had alot of injuries to deal with repeatedly and that could be on him and his practice strategy but we wont know until he's allowed to reset his staff. 

Are you saying Doug gets no credit for being ahead of the NFL during the 2017 run?? 

Eagles picked the worst time to suck because this year they were handed one of the worst schedules in the NFL but I admire that he still has his team fighting and believing in each other. Every game is a possible win for Philly and it's been that way for 4 years. The players love him which is a stark contrast to Chip Kelly.. Chip could develop players but the team hated him. 

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

Doug has been a bad play caller for years. He has had times where he's has success, but since 2017 more often than not he's making poor decisions.

Doug gets credit for 2017, but they didn't win because of doug, for the most part

The eagles offense only ever has success if they run the ball doug doesnt like to run the ball.

36 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

The eagles offense only ever has success if they run the ball doug doesnt like to run the ball.

Running or not, doug just calls so many wrong plays at the wrong time. Out simply he outsmarts himself incredibly predictably. He thinks he's 1 step ahead but he's two steps behind.

He also doesn't really inspire much from sheer play design either but I can't say that he's objectively bad at that.