2K20: Game #11 - Kansas City @ Tampa Bay

onejayhawk

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I'm really not as concerned about our pass rush this game as some of you are. It's not great, don't get me wrong, and I do think on the wish list for the offseason would be a proper edge rusher at LE. I think we're paying Clark to be elite when he's really more above average, and we're hoping Tanoh or Okafor can start, and neither is really that guy. But I think there's a bad habit all fans have of over-attributing results to their own team, and forgetting the opposition. Against not Las Vegas, the pass rush has absolutely been good enough. Not great, but good enough. We're 6th in hurry percentage, we're 6th in QB hit percentage, we're 8th in pressure percentage. We have to blitz more than I like to get that result, but it's good enough.

But just the same as every week the team that plays us seems to think they need to fire their defensive coordinator, when Mahomes does what he does against everyone, I think Chiefs fans have overreacted about the pass rush, when the reality is the Raiders just have a rare offensive line that can actually handle Chris Jones, and Jones is obviously the driving force behind our pass rush. Hudson and Jackson are one of the only sets of guys on any interior line in football that can shut down Jones as a pass rusher. The Colts would maybe be the only other team I'd be concerned about being able to do that. Sometimes it's less about us, and more about the competition.

The Bucs OL has done well this year, but their weaker point on the season has been at C and RG, exactly where Jones will operate, so I'm far less worried there. I don't expect much from Clark or Nnadi on the right side, as Smith and Marpet have been very good, but Jones will have far more opportunity this coming week than last.

Someone also said the Bucs have a QB who gets rid of the ball quickly. I don't think that's true this year. This isn't New England Brady. This isn't 8 passes to James White, 10 to Julian Edelman, Brady. Arians offense runs far more deep and long developing routes than the ones Brady ever ran in New England. That's why the picks are flowing and the stats are down. The tendencies are just very different there. Their RBs are averaging like 4 yards per carry, so when they do go there, they're also FAR less productive than the old Brady teams. I honestly think we'll be fine against that offense.

Getting Edge rushers is always an issue. That said, it would not be my first priority.

I agree that Clark is not an elite pass rusher, but he adds very good strength against the run. I disagree about TK. He's a quality DE, very good at all phases of the game. Okafor is a situational pass rusher who can move inside, but a one trick pony, as was Taco before he was injured. The reason I am not overly concerned is Danna. He's the guy that can step up to elite with more experience. 

Good point about Hudson and Jackson. With those two doubling Jones, Carr had just enough time and not everyone has a similar pair. I have hopes that Wharton can step up another notch when we need inside push. He would be ideal in stunts, but he hasn't really learned the basics yet. Another good point about the TB running game. I would add that the Raiders had Josh James to keep our DL honest. 

All that said, I am feeling good about Sunday. We may have been looking past Las Vegas a bit. I think that this week we will be ready to hit the ground moving.

J

With Pringle out, The Chiefs elevated Marcus Kemp from practice squad. The corresponding move is the release of Tedrick Thompson. kemp is an old Chiefs hand and knows the special teams well. He could be up for the duration.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/28/kansas-city-chiefs-tedric-thompson-marcus-kemp-roster-moves/

It's worth noting that in 2019 preseason, Kemp had an ACL injury, somewhat like Juan Thornhill. It has taken this long to get back up to speed, but he is said to be playing the best of his career.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/8/19/21375541/marcus-kemp-is-back-with-the-chiefs

J

Edited by onejayhawk

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

With Pringle out, The Chiefs elevated Marcus Kemp from practice squad. The corresponding move is the release of Tedrick Thompson. kemp is an old Chiefs hand and knows the special teams well. He could be up for the duration.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/28/kansas-city-chiefs-tedric-thompson-marcus-kemp-roster-moves/

It's worth noting that in 2019 preseason, Kemp had an ACL injury, somewhat like Juan Thornhill. It has taken this long to get back up to speed, but he is said to be playing the best of his career.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/8/19/21375541/marcus-kemp-is-back-with-the-chiefs

J

Kemp was called up for single games twice from the PS this year under Covid rules thus is no longer eligible for single game activations. I think if Thompson clears waivers he'll go to the PS and be called up whenever the team feels they need an extra DB.

That said, the team clearly favored Pringle over Kemp this year. And over Hardman as well .. for good reason I think. Hope Kemp can step up