5 Up, 5 down - Game 5

theJ

Five up

1. Geno Atkins destroyed that game
  2. Carl Lawson should be a perennial Pro Bowl, and occasional All Pro guy.  Another great game.
  3. Offensive line in pass protection
  4. WJIII and Denard i thought were good, after being forced in due to injury
  5. Tyler Kroft made some clutch catches in the second half

Five down

1. Offensive line in run blocking
  2. Turnovers again.  They have to clean those up.  If they do, there's still hope for this season.
  3. Letting Brandon Tate get a long punt return
  4. Letting Brandon Tate catch a touchdown
  5. The injuries.  Yikes.  Good thing the bye is coming up.

Left AJ Green and Dalton off.  Thought they were both up and down.  But ultimately they played well enough to win.

the real up is always getting  that W..

Up

1. Geno

2. Burfict

3. Andy. Gutsy performance today.. a lot of big throws

4. Lawson..  such a steal

5. Mixon finally getting in the endzone.. damn I wish the line wasn't garbage because he is special

Down

1. letting Brandon freaking Tate have that kind of day against us

2. O-line not being able to do anything in the run game..it's depressing

3. injuries..rough day

4. AJ.. I mean he had a great and terrible day.. gotta clean that crap up if you're "elite"

5. has anyone mentioned Tate?  ugh

10 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

4. Vigil

5. MJ93 inside

I thought those guys played pretty well too.  I noticed that MJ was getting a lot of snaps outside at the beginning of the game.  But toward the end, those snaps were going to Willis.  Lawson took the spot on almost every third down and most of the 2nd and longs.

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Aside from what has been mentioned, Bill Lazor.  I'm loving this guy so far...

He's done really well.  It'll be interesting to see what might happen to him if Marvin retires at the end of the year.  But for now, we just get to appreciate the step up from Zampese.

14 hours ago, theJ said:

Five up

1. Geno Atkins destroyed that game
  2. Carl Lawson should be a perennial Pro Bowl, and occasional All Pro guy.  Another great game.
  3. Offensive line in pass protection
  4. WJIII and Denard i thought were good, after being forced in due to injury
  5. Tyler Kroft made some clutch catches in the second half

Five down

1. Offensive line in run blocking
  2. Turnovers again.  They have to clean those up.  If they do, there's still hope for this season.
  3. Letting Brandon Tate get a long punt return
  4. Letting Brandon Tate catch a touchdown
  5. The injuries.  Yikes.  Good thing the bye is coming up.

Left AJ Green and Dalton off.  Thought they were both up and down.  But ultimately they played well enough to win.

Great list.

A couple to add:

Up 

Burfict and Vigil.  Together, they are killing it.  Our LBs are finally a strength, not a liability.  I think of Lawson as a DE, but throw him on here too and this unit is STRONG

Andre Smith has brought composure to the line, or at least the tackles, and Boling holds up the middle.  get Hopkins back and we might survive, even thrive, for the remainder of the season.

Down

Run blocking:  You mentioned it, but it bears repeating.  The running game isn't getting enough holes to exploit.

Inconsistent officiating- the two bad ones were both against us, only a few plays apart.  Green got drilled in the head from a blind-side hit.  I don't care if he was a runner.  He was going down due to contact from the other CB.  Kelce drew the flag against Houston for the exact same thing.  Then, moments later, Lawson got flagged for putting his hand on Taylor as he jumped over him and avoided serious contact.

The shape of the ball:  How long will it be before we recover another fumble?  They had the one by McCoy( I think) that somehow took the perfect bounce to their RT, laying prone on the field.  Literally any other kind of bounce and we have FIVE guys in the vicinity.  Don't the laws of average have to work in our favor at some point?

Archived