Week 12 GDT: Cowboys @ WFT - Sink or Swim?

D82

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

I already answered that. Humans get better with repetition. 100% has been proven that experience helps you learn. The rookie WR that is getting his first start in the playoffs and still game planning/practicing with his coaches weekly is learning more than the rookie WR that is sitting on his couch or partying in South America. 

You gave a theory that, again, has never been proven outside of "common sense". Im not really interested in theories. I would love so see any historical data that backs it up.

11 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You gave a theory that, again, has never been proven outside of "common sense". Im not really interested in theories. I would love so see any historical data that backs it up.

Never been proven outside of common sense!? Lol That’s a new one. 

Just now, DaBoys said:

Never been proven outside of common sense!? Lol That’s a new one. 

Hence why commons sense is in quotations. Much like the run game stats and winning. That the world is flat. That people are born an entirely blank slate. 

People believe stupid ish all the time that gets proven wrong. The whole purpose of knowledge is to learn and grow, not dig into disproven theories. 

11 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Hence why commons sense is in quotations. Much like the run game stats and winning. That the world is flat. That people are born an entirely blank slate. 

People believe stupid ish all the time that gets proven wrong. The whole purpose of knowledge is to learn and grow, not dig into disproven theories. 

Rookies have learning curves for a reason. Lack of experience. No rookie QB has ever won the SB. Here is some proof that practice helps:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140716123835.htm

“Does practice really make perfect? It's an age-old question, and a new study from Rice University, Princeton University and Michigan State University finds that while practice won't make you perfect, it will usually make you better at what you're practicing.”

https://motivationandchange.com/why-practice-makes-perfect/

“Deliberately practicing new behavior has three effects: 1) you get better at doing it, which increases the odds that you will be successful at it when it matters,  2) you start to replace the old habits with new ones, and 3) you develop the habit of replacing old habits!

First, remember that when you are trying out something new, it is best to practice that skill when the stakes aren’t too high. You wouldn’t want to shoot your first ever free-throw in the NBA finals! “

(Or the NFL playoffs)

And here is the best argument against practice. But this just relates to mastery. But in the case of the playoffs mastery applies. 12% is 12%

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2014/07/25/actually-practice-doesnt-always-make-perfect-new-study/

“We’ve long been eager to believe that mastery of a skill is primarily the result of how much effort one has put in. Extensive practice “is probably the most reasonable explanation we have today not only for success in any line, but even for genius,” said the ur-behaviorist John B. Watson almost a century ago.

The evidence is quite clear that some people do reach an elite level of performance without copious practice, while other people fail to do so despite copious practice,” wrote Brooke Macnamara, David Hambrick, and Frederick Oswald in Psychological Science. In fact, they calculated that, overall, the amount of deliberate practice in which someone engages explains only 12 percent of the variance in the quality of performance. Which means 88 percent is explained by other factors.“

Edited by DaBoys

10 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Rookies have learning curves for a reason. Lack of experience. No rookie QB has ever won the SB. Here is some proof that practice helps:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140716123835.htm

I am not sure this is relevant to the point I am making. Perhaps you are confusing the point. I am talking about a collective group of ~100 people who contribute to wins. From the front office to the bottom of the practice squad. I am not sure why you are boiling it down to a rookie QB?

“Does practice really make perfect? It's an age-old question, and a new study from Rice University, Princeton University and Michigan State University finds that while practice won't make you perfect, it will usually make you better at what you're practicing.”

https://motivationandchange.com/why-practice-makes-perfect/

Again, this is not the point of contention. I am speaking to the specific example of "Playoff" or "winning" experience. Is there any historical data that those particular reps are needed to land a superbowl? 

“Deliberately practicing new behavior has three effects: 1) you get better at doing it, which increases the odds that you will be successful at it when it matters,  2) you start to replace the old habits with new ones, and 3) you develop the habit of replacing old habits!

First, remember that when you are trying out something new, it is best to practice that skill when the stakes aren’t too high. You wouldn’t want to shoot your first ever free-throw in the NBA finals! “

(Or the NFL playoffs)

........ Again, this is a mis-application of logic and what the data you are presenting is stating. You can get better at a craft many many ways. 

And here is the best argument against practice. But this just relates to mastery. But in the case of the playoffs mastery applies. 12% is 12%

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2014/07/25/actually-practice-doesnt-always-make-perfect-new-study/

“We’ve long been eager to believe that mastery of a skill is primarily the result of how much effort one has put in. Extensive practice “is probably the most reasonable explanation we have today not only for success in any line, but even for genius,” said the ur-behaviorist John B. Watson almost a century ago.

The evidence is quite clear that some people do reach an elite level of performance without copious practice, while other people fail to do so despite copious practice,” wrote Brooke Macnamara, David Hambrick, and Frederick Oswald in Psychological Science. In fact, they calculated that, overall, the amount of deliberate practice in which someone engages explains only 12 percent of the variance in the quality of performance. Which means 88 percent is explained by other factors.“

^^^^ Doesnt this directly contradict a lot of what you are arguing? ^^^^ 

Very odd that you included an excerpt that basically says you are wrong.... 

12 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Still dont buy into this, or the legendary "playoff experience" mantra. I dont think either have ever been proven to mean anything whatsover. I posed this to @DaBoys as well.

Teams suck unless they get an adequate HC/QB. Then they are good and compete for superbowls. The only exceptions are the extremely ridiculous defenses that spout up from time to time.

I hear you, but I always think of the 89 to 91 Cowboys. 

Going from 1-15 to 7-9 to 11-5 to 13-3 and SB champs.

I believe this helped instill a winning attitutude that spread thru the team and helped to raise the level of play of everyone.

I can't document or quantify this with stats or numbers, but I do know that players like Irvin, Smith and Aikman hated losing for any reason.

So much so that Irvin gave coach Johnson a list of slackers and paycheck players to get them kicked off the team.

Edited by Rtnldave

11 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

^^^^ Doesnt this directly contradict a lot of what you are arguing? ^^^^ 

Very odd that you included an excerpt that basically says you are wrong.... 

You don’t read do you? Over the last few weeks I’ve had to repeat myself several times to you. First with the cost of the defensive STARTERS and now this. Please, Matts, please read what you quote. ......please...

11 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Notice how I bolded against? You probably aren’t reading this right now as you have already quoted me and began a pointless rant about how practice is as useless as the running game, BUT I included this excerpt as the best argument against practice. But it only relates to mastery. Meaning it didn’t disprove that practice helps. It said only 12% of mastering a craft is through practice. 

I Included it with two articles that were pro-practice to be completely fair and help form a complete thought. You should try it sometime 

It’s so NFL Gen that I have to debate with someone about whether practicing, game planning, working closely with coaches, training at the facility, and playing playoff games into January is more beneficial than clubbing in Cabo for player development. 

well...   today is the day I think that will establish for a lot of cowboys fans just what kind of results your looking for....  I personally think we are the best team in the east and better then our record.. but we are what we are...     so lets go..

what I would love is a win today on the way to at least one playoff win ....   

keys for me.. turn overs..  can not turn it over like last time we faced them...    still the biggest test of this game is can our offense execute plays against their D line especially in the passing game. 

Told you guys I shouldn't have made the last GDT. My luck is like the Cowboys. When you expect them to win they dont. When you expect them to lose they dont. That's just how my luck goes. When I watch the games they lose. When I dont watch they win. Last week I didn't watch and they won. You bet your *** I'm watching this week. 

6 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

Told you guys I shouldn't have made the last GDT. My luck is like the Cowboys. When you expect them to win they dont. When you expect them to lose they dont. That's just how my luck goes. When I watch the games they lose. When I dont watch they win. Last week I didn't watch and they won. You bet your *** I'm watching this week. 

Here is the rightful king!! Start your own GDT! We need the win!!