THE Aaron Jones Thread

incognito_man

d4a23c36-de60-43a5-ba38-d2323f62ec0c-lar

Tell me about this guy. I admittedly know very little. I googled his SPARQ and he's a plus athlete. Who had him on their radar pre-draft? Who had him on their radar in camp? Who had him on their radar while he was intoxicated? (this one I know, it's the El Paso police).

I'm a jump to conclusions guy because I trust my eye early on. I'm telling you, he is LEGIT.

So, who is he?

I liked him predraft.  During the GM forum mock draft, was running Chicago and drafted him as a backup for Howard.

Loved his college production and measurables from combine and proday.

Felt he was a natural pass catching g RB from the backfield.  Pairs nicely with Monty.  I think he is better suited for early down work vs Monty.

I've been on this kid pre draft.  I damn near had a heart attack when our Packers drafted him.  Then, I thought I was wrong when he couldn't pass that scrub Williams in training camp.  I knew this game was going to happen during the Bears game.   He will look good next week as well.  He was a monster at UTEP.  Damn near 50% of their offense ran through him.

Just now, Pad Level said:

I've been on this kid pre draft.  I damn near had a heart attack when our Packers drafted him.  Then, I thought I was wrong when he couldn't pass that scrub Williams in training camp.  I knew this game was going to happen during the Bears game.   He will look good next week as well.

Next week will be a tougher test against a better D.  I will be happy with 4.0ypc

He and Williams are a perfect compliment. Williams needs an actual hole and with the banged up OL we just havent had it. He's a get the ball and go kind of guy. Jones runs like a mini Lacy, he's patient, looks to bounce plays when the defense loses contain and finishes runs well for a little guy. I think he has a future in our offense. My question is what to do with Ty is Jones keeps it up.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He and Williams are a perfect compliment. Williams needs an actual hole and with the banged up OL we just havent had it. He's a get the ball and go kind of guy. Jones runs like a mini Lacy, he's patient, looks to bounce plays when the defense loses contain and finishes runs well for a little guy. I think he has a future in our offense. My question is what to do with Ty is Jones keeps it up.

Jones' burst is more Christine Michael or Jamaal Charles than Eddie Lacy though.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I like a Jones and Mays combo better than Williams.  Williams has shown nothing but terrible vision.   Mays has more power and slightly better vision but worse hands I'm guessing

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Jones' burst is more Christine Michael or Jamaal Charles than Eddie Lacy though.

Im just talking that LeVeon Bell/Eddie Lacy patience. He's obviously supremely athletic to 2015-16 Lacy. He's got the ability to let his blocks set up, and that seems to work well in GB with our OL.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Im just talking that LeVeon Bell/Eddie Lacy patience. He's obviously supremely athletic to 2015-16 Lacy. He's got the ability to let his blocks set up, and that seems to work well in GB with our OL.

ah got it. If he has Bell's patience and vision and Michael's burst we have an All-Pro on our hands ;)

3 minutes ago, Pad Level said:

I like a Jones and Mays combo better than Williams.  Williams has shown nothing but terrible vision.   Mays has more power and slightly better vision but worse hands I'm guessing

Let Williams have some time with the starting line. I see a Ryan Grant without 4.4 top end speed. Guy that just takes the ball and goes. Problem being with all the slower footed guards we've been playing, it's taken a patient runner like Jones to let the big boys get to the 2nd level. Once Bahk and Bulaga are 100% we'll be hitting some reach blocks and his style will fit in.

He stood out in preseason, even while running behind the garbage heap that was the Packers 2nd and 3rd string Olines. No idea what his ceiling is, but he did everything well tonight - quickness, elusiveness, vision, finishing runs, good hands, situational awareness. Not sure how his pass blocking was but Rodgers seemed fine with it, he couldn't hide his smile when asked about Jones. I know Dallas has a pretty bad run defense, but it's hard not to be excited about the guy. He's earned the primary role with the other guys competing for reps.

Part of what made Ryan Grant better than just a guy was that speed.  So far Williams has been head down into the back of the interior line, whether that was regular or preseason.  I hope he turns it around, but right now, I just don't see anything of value from him when he is on the field.

Archived