Moretti's Mock draft post military

moretti19

On 11/25/2020 at 9:35 AM, vegas492 said:

Regarding the off-season.  Any off-season that does not include cutting Lowry just doesn't work for me.

Hadn't thought about bringing Taylor back.  But that makes a lot of sense.

On 11/25/2020 at 5:13 PM, Joe said:

As for the mock. I like the direction, but DeVonta Smith is off the board by the time we pick IMHO. I also think we go OT as well sometime early as RT is really still at ? given Turner's struggles against speed rushers. The biggest gripe I have is the first 4th round pick. It makes zero sense to draft a Guard when you just drafted two the previous year, one who has played significant time now, and you've resigned Lane Taylor who has missed at least 20 games within the past two seasons. 

Dean Lowry is under contract until 2022.  We can get out of his contract after 2021 with just a 1.5 million cap hit.  The dead cap in 2021 would be 3 million.  I'd definitely keep him on board for 2021.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/dean-lowry-19091/

Lane Taylor is a very good guard.  He has had injury issues, but they don't seem to be related to each other, more so just bad luck.  If you recall, he was a week one starter at RG, with Patrick at LG and Jenkins at RT.  It is interesting because he will more than likely have to sign a low money short term deal after missing so much time.  Is Green Bay the best place to do that, however?  We likely have a guard and center between Jenkins and Patrick.  We also just drafted Runyan, Stepaniak, and signed UDFA Zach Johnson, who looked the part on the college highlights at least to my untrained eye.  Billy Turner has also demonstrated that he can play guard, so if we do draft a tackle, Turner at guard is also a possibility.  

We will likely cut either Turner (save about 3 million) or Wagner (save about 4 million).  So tackle depth probably is the better bet than guard.

If we cut Preston, we are going to eat 8 million, but get 8 million back.  We also can get 6 million net from cutting Kirksey.  But the question becomes, what are we angling toward when creating more cap space?  In this mock, we are not retaining King, Linsley, or Jones.  And the FA acquisitions are realistic and reasonable.  Are we just that disappointed in Preston and Kirksey that we want them gone? Or are we believing that 175 cap number? If so, we have to cut almost 18 million just to get under the cap, and that isn't taking into account draft picks.  

First of all, God bless you for your service to our country. And anyone who loves dogs is damn good man.

Second, it is obvious you spent serious time and thought on your mock. I wonder if you have considered the Badgers Jake Ferguson at TE? He comes across to me as a pretty rugged guy who can make catches in the clutch. As far as Devonta Smith, I have to agree he is already off the board by the time we pick--and given Gutey's preference in body type and draft value, I think he would look at someone with better size at WR and not until Round 3. Hey, I am by no means an expert, but I will be boggled if the Packers don't take a defensive tackle and a cornerback in the first two rounds. Kenny Clark needs help, and Pettine himself has said his goal is to get pressure up the middle for a pass rush. Jay Tufele? Christian Barrimore? Marvin Wilson? And Kevin King is just too fragile for most of us fans, and where we seem to be hurting badly is at that hybrid safety/linebacker position. I like someone like Jaycee Horn, a CB/S/LB from South Carolina. He covers well and tackles hard. Just my two 1/3 cents.

8 hours ago, Gypsy1027 said:

First of all, God bless you for your service to our country. And anyone who loves dogs is damn good man.

Second, it is obvious you spent serious time and thought on your mock. I wonder if you have considered the Badgers Jake Ferguson at TE? He comes across to me as a pretty rugged guy who can make catches in the clutch. As far as Devonta Smith, I have to agree he is already off the board by the time we pick--and given Gutey's preference in body type and draft value, I think he would look at someone with better size at WR and not until Round 3. Hey, I am by no means an expert, but I will be boggled if the Packers don't take a defensive tackle and a cornerback in the first two rounds. Kenny Clark needs help, and Pettine himself has said his goal is to get pressure up the middle for a pass rush. Jay Tufele? Christian Barrimore? Marvin Wilson? And Kevin King is just too fragile for most of us fans, and where we seem to be hurting badly is at that hybrid safety/linebacker position. I like someone like Jaycee Horn, a CB/S/LB from South Carolina. He covers well and tackles hard. Just my two 1/3 cents.

I appreciate the feedback, in a lot of mocks I see Smith is falling to the bottom of round one and if Gute really was going to trade for Fuller than the body size isn’t as much of an issue as we think. Also, I just did not want to go defense in the first like we have so many times.