Ravens/Steelers postponed till Tuesday now

MikeT14

Just now, BlaqOptic said:

Well, given that this was the closest thing the Steelers were getting to a Bye (in terms of the 11 day layoff until the next game) in a long time because their original bye was moved, I completely would say their justified in feeling that way. It's funny, Derek Wolfe tweeted "Player Safety, what a joke" yet the Steelers players don't have the right to feel that way as if their safety (in terms of on the field) hasn't been considered this year?

nah, no players get to feel that way. opt out if you didn't want to deal with covid ramifications. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Dude, most of those dudes still wont be eligible on Sunday. The only thing this does is make it much less likely that Steelers players don't get it. You know, so you don't have to flip flop next week when Ben gets it and they don't postpone. 

I've followed enough early positives this season to know that the only people who won't be eligible Sunday will be the first two players listed as positive yesterday. That said, when Ben was on the list alongside with 5 important Steelers players I don't recall the fanbase making any excuses had they not played because it would have been on THEM for not following protocol.

Edited by BlaqOptic

1 minute ago, BlaqOptic said:

Well, given that this was the closest thing the Steelers were getting to a Bye (in terms of the 11 day layoff until the next game) in a long time because their original bye was moved, I completely would say their justified in feeling that way. It's funny, Derek Wolfe tweeted "Player Safety, what a joke" yet the Steelers players don't have the right to feel that way as if their safety (in terms of on the field) hasn't been considered this year?

In a perfect world the game wouldn't be rescheduled

This isn't a perfect world

What is it you would have them do? Force players to play in an unsafe environment? Force a team to forfeit when they haven't forced other teams to forfeit?

Pushing games IS the most consistent thing to do, and yes, it might affect a specific team a little worse than others depending on where the cases are, and it could just as easily be happening to a different team this week

52 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

How exactly is Pitt getting screwed in all of this?  One, you now get a full and normal week to prepare.  Two, if their players are positive now, they won't be cleared by Sunday.  Instead, they will have a better handle on who is actually positive, which will, in turn lessen the Steelers to exposure.  Win-win for you.  The only thing your team loses is the extra time after the game to rest, but any NFL player will tell you they hate playing on Thursdays anyway.

The whole "woah for the Steelers" act because of this and the Titans game is wearing thin.  Plus, your players, as well as your opponents', health trumps the entertainment factor for the rest of us Thursday night.  As much as I was looking forward to watching this game, their health is more important, and I'll get over it.

Except the general consensus in the Steelers locker room based on what they were saying immediately following the Jaguars game and currently on Twitter was that they felt they needed the extra time coming after this game for rest and recovery having not had any time for that since their forced early bye. Just saying.

22 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

after everything that's happened this year the fact that we still have clowns acting like the nfl's protocols are bulletproof and the only way a team could possibly have an outbreak is if their players were personally "irresponsible" whatever that means is mind boggling

Who is saying this? As @Troy Brown said, the protocols themselves are a joke. However, it's been clear even on Sundays that some teams have been following protocol better than others. All I'm asking for is a bit of consistency. The Steelers (and Seahawks who still remain the only team who haven't recorded a positive), who have followed protocol almost to the letter are also amongst the only teams not to get fined because their coaches failed to wear a mask for a drive. Mind you in the same games the oppositions coaches didn't wear masks for much longer.

What I don't care for is the NFL's inconsistency and people pretending that they actually care about player safety because if they did they either wouldn't have played this season at all (but we need that money, right) or would have had some sort of consistency in their implementation of protocols and responses. But they don't. That's my biggest issue in all of this and has been dating back to forever. If you don't believe me, check the Titans thread.

10 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

nah, no players get to feel that way. opt out if you didn't want to deal with covid ramifications. 

Sorry but this is a bad take. It's literally the same as "well don't play football if you don't want a chance at CTE." I get your general sentiment, but this is an absolutely terrible take

10 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

In a perfect world the game wouldn't be rescheduled

This isn't a perfect world

What is it you would have them do? Force players to play in an unsafe environment? Force a team to forfeit when they haven't forced other teams to forfeit?

Pushing games IS the most consistent thing to do, and yes, it might affect a specific team a little worse than others depending on where the cases are, and it could just as easily be happening to a different team this week

I am in no way disagreeing with the pushing of this game. I am inquiring as to why the NFL has been inconsistent with how they've followed their own protocol. 

Just saw this from someone on Reddit and I think it's 100% correct so  I'll copy and paste it and leave it at that...

The biggest reason it was moved is because it’s Thursday night, prime time on thanksgiving. This might be the NFL’s biggest game of the regular season. If it’s not number 1, it’s top 2 at worst, behind opening night.

Considering all of the covid information for Baltimore that came out with-in the last 72 hours, the last thing they want is to put on a game for the whole world to see with a million questions about testing, contract tracing, etc. Let alone the possible new information that could come to light on Friday.

Especially when there’s a simple solution - move the game to Sunday - the normal day that every team normally plays on.

It's not actually a matter of player safety, because otherwise what was the point of the expanded practice squads, etc. It is purely perception on what will be, by default of the fact it occurs on a national holiday, one of the most viewed games of the year in comparison to San Francisco vs Green Bay where the league left the 49ers hanging when all they asked for was another day.

11 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

I am in no way disagreeing with the pushing of this game. I am inquiring as to why the NFL has been inconsistent with how they've followed their own protocol. 

I hear that people are saying that it was inconsistent with the Packers-49ers decision. That was 1 positive and no other positives that week. The Ravens are up to 7 players positive and more staff testing positive every day since Sunday. If the Ravens just had the 2 on Sunday and no new positives after that, they would have played the game like they did the 49ers.

This delay is not about buying time for the players to clear the protocol and come back. It's waiting for new positives coming on. It's very possible there may be more people out by Sunday.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I hear that people are saying that it was inconsistent with the Packers-49ers decision. That was 1 positive. The Ravens are up to 7 players positive and more staff testing positive every day since Sunday. If the Ravens just had the 2 on Sunday and no new positives after that, they would have played the game like they did the 49ers.

You are correct that is a difference maker, but the 49ers close contact players were still held from the game due to the short notice leaving them understaff (in addition to the bevy of injuries) so the overall point remains.

17 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Who is saying this? As @Troy Brown said, the protocols themselves are a joke. However, it's been clear even on Sundays that some teams have been following protocol better than others. All I'm asking for is a bit of consistency. The Steelers (and Seahawks who still remain the only team who haven't recorded a positive), who have followed protocol almost to the letter are also amongst the only teams not to get fined because their coaches failed to wear a mask for a drive. Mind you in the same games the oppositions coaches didn't wear masks for much longer.

Not disagreeing with your overall point, but Steelers and Tomlin got fined the other week because Tomlin wasn't wearing his mask basically the entire second half (or at least of what I got the chance to see).

12 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Just saw this from someone on Reddit and I think it's 100% correct so  I'll copy and paste it and leave it at that...

It's not actually a matter of player safety, because otherwise what was the point of the expanded practice squads, etc. It is purely perception on what will be, by default of the fact it occurs on a national holiday, one of the most viewed games of the year in comparison to San Francisco vs Green Bay where the league left the 49ers hanging when all they asked for was another day.

I fully disagree with this

They are moving the game because it gives them 3 more days to figure out who is safe to play, who isn't, and to properly control any possible spread

That quoted take is utterly ridiculous

6 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I fully disagree with this

They are moving the game because it gives them 3 more days to figure out who is safe to play, who isn't, and to properly control any possible spread

That quoted take is utterly ridiculous

You can disagree with it all you want. However, the NFl has never actually cared about player safety.