JJ Watt Out for Season with Tibial Plateau Fracture

incognito_man

4 hours ago, riceman80 said:

If JJ was ever busted for juicing, I don't know of I could ever trust a human again. He's pretty much the epitome of a perfect NFL player, on and off the field.

I'm guessing you're joking, but regardless I think it's important to remember that we as fans still don't really know these people. Even if they probably are as genuine as they are portrayed through the lens we view them through. I feel it's kind of messed up to hold athletes to some kind of high moral standard. 

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

People like to correlate with no real evidence. You could make the case for Brian Cushing - ligament damage all over the place before his 2nd positive. Watt doesn't really have that against him, but when in doubt - steroids. 

On the plus side, Watt had his surgery yesterday and they're stating no ligament or soft tissue damage - which is huge for overall recovery. Ultimately, the pressing issue is going to come down to pain management - full range of motion and strength should return, but that leg is going to hurt a lot, and probably go full arthritic soon. If Watt can push through the pain, we should see a return to some level of prominent play.

Yeah, the only time I've ever known injuries as a direct result of roids, is when the muscle gets too big/powerful for a relatively underdeveloped tendon that isn't used to controlling the new muscle (because roids make muscle grow quick). The muscle can pull or snap the ligament. 

This injury, I can comfortably say (I work with roiders), is nothing to do with juice. Not saying whether or not he's on it, just that this is strictly a football injury. 

12 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

This injury, I can comfortably say (I work with roiders), is nothing to do with juice. Not saying whether or not he's on it, just that this is strictly a football injury. 

Interesting. Curious as to your line of work. Given your experience, what do you make of Whitney Mercilius and his torn pec?

2 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Interesting. Curious as to your line of work. Given your experience, what do you make of Whitney Mercilius and his torn pec?

Ha, well I haven't seen his injury but I would say torn pecs are very common among juice-head-gym-goers etc. Again, an over developed muscle can be too much for a tendon to handle if pushed too hard. It is probably a legitimate football injury though, definitely nothing like 'proof' of enhancement. 

"It is known that steroid use can weaken the tendon, and this is thought to be a contributing factor in many pectoralis major muscle ruptures. However, these injuries can certainly occur in patients who have never used steroids."

22 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Ha, well I haven't seen his injury but I would say torn pecs are very common among juice-head-gym-goers etc. Again, an over developed muscle can be too much for a tendon to handle if pushed too hard. It is probably a legitimate football injury though, definitely nothing like 'proof' of enhancement. 

"It is known that steroid use can weaken the tendon, and this is thought to be a contributing factor in many pectoralis major muscle ruptures. However, these injuries can certainly occur in patients who have never used steroids."

Good, thanks. I have a poster in the Texans forum who is waving the steroids flag on Mercilius now...so this helps.

6 hours ago, riceman80 said:

If JJ was ever busted for juicing, I don't know of I could ever trust a human again. He's pretty much the epitome of a perfect NFL player, on and off the field.

Nobody tell this guy the majority of pro athletes juice, it'll break his heart.

On 10/9/2017 at 5:12 AM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

This honestly is beginning to unravel as a tragic sports story... He's going to be this era's Bo Jackson. I pray I'm wrong, but 2 missed seasons in a row for equally serious, unrelated, injuries? Just not fair. It's like he shined too bright as a star for his own good and burned out.

and I know he's already probably a HOFer and had a lot more times to produce than Bo, but we were looking at a career that could have been so much more than just a HOFer. It very well could have been the greatest career ever, at least for a defender. Heading into 2016 he was a 27 year old coming off his 3rd DPOY.

Bo Jackson?

His career is already a spectacular success.

He's had 3 DPOY awards, been nominated for mvp twice and 4 pro bowls.

Thats more than anyone could have dreamed of when he was picked, and he was a high first rounder.

Even if he retires today hes a hall of famer imo, and will forever be mentioned as a defensive great. Even without the longevity.

8 hours ago, riceman80 said:

I don't. He's a freak athlete at an enormous size who plays with a motor running at 1000%. Imo, it's just age telling his body that he can't do the things he did in his prime anymore.

I don't think the injury has anything to do with drugs (on the contrary, steroids are usually taken for injury prevention) but I think you are very naive. At that level with those stakes (a 100 million contract in his case), you think people leave that on the table and say - nah, my performance isn't important.

the people who get to the nfl (the 1 in a million who gets there) are the people so obsessed with being the best that they would do ANYTHING to become the best.

People with the mentality of - i want to be good, but im too squemish to take the products everyone else is taking, do not become triple DPOY

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:
3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

They actually do. corticosteroid use decreases bone density. 

I guess, but are corticosteroids used in the same fashion as tren, dianabol, etc? 

The term "steroid" is a far reaching one - not every one of them is going to get you jacked and vascular.

12 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

They actually do. corticosteroid use decreases bone density. 

They're not going to be taking anti-inflammatory creams though. We're talking cycles of injecting anabolics etc. 

His injury is probably the result of how he landed awkwardly after stumbling. 290lbs on an unstable knee. Eesh.

24 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

They're not going to be taking anti-inflammatory creams though. We're talking cycles of injecting anabolics etc. 

His injury is probably the result of how he landed awkwardly after stumbling. 290lbs on an unstable knee. Eesh.

I have actually been looking into and my initial position was incorrect. 
I didnt really want to state it though. 

forever in my heart as no juice JJ.  

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

I have actually been looking into and my initial position was incorrect. 
I didnt really want to state it though. 

forever in my heart as no juice JJ.  

Haha

Well, we'll never know. We can quietly have our own guess, can't we. Nothing would surprise me with professional athletes. 

Archived