First Quarter Mock 2018

Madmike90

Retain GM Ryan Pace…

I have always believed Pace was forced into the Fox hire because ownership wanted someone with experience…I would also say he has had more wins than loses when it comes to free agency and the draft so he gets to hire his own guy.

Fire HC John Fox…OC Dowell Loggains…DC Vic Fangio…ST Jeff Rodgers…

This is about as self-explanatory as anything you will see in football…the team is underprepared, poorly coached and poorly motivated…we haven’t been able to design an offence that puts our guys in position to win and our D has been vanilla for far too long…time to take a risk.

Hire Kansas City OC Matt Nagy as Head Coach…

Nagy could be this year’s Sean McVay…a young guy who people will without doubt view as a risk but who has been around some quality coaches and has been a big part of designing and implementing a quality offence on the field…KC’s offence would fit perfectly with our players…Trubisky has a similar skill set to Alex Smith…we have Jordan Howard as a #1 power back who gives us a presence between the tackles like Hunt has done in KC this season…Cohen is our offensive weapon in the same way Hill is for KC…and Shaheen might actually be used in the correct way much like Kelce is in KC…that is our 4 young offensive weapons fitting into role which really fit…add in hopefully a healthy Meredith and a strong OL and you could have an outstanding offence.

Hire Kansas City LB Coach Gary Gibbs as Associate Head Coach/Linebackers Coach…

Much like the Rams did we should look to pair an innovative mind with an experienced head…Gibbs was the HC at Oklahoma for 6 seasons…he served as DC for LSU & Georgia as well as the Saints…he has been a coach since 1978…there isn’t much he won’t have seen in football and that experience would be excellent to pair with Nagy…I also love the work he has done as a coach in KC…Justin Houston, Tamba Hali and Dee Ford have all put up excellent numbers in KC and Gibbs could be the guy to get the best out of Leonard Floyd and anyone we bring in to pair with him.

Hire Dallas OL Coach Frank Pollack as Offensive Coordinator…

I expect Nagy to be able to deal with implementing the offensive gameplan on a weekly basis and call plays which opens up the ability for us to find the best offensive line coach we can in order to build a wall in front of Trubisky and open up holes on the offensive line…Pollack has done an excellent job since 2015 turning the Cowboys into the best OL in football…we have some quality pieces in place for him to come here and do much the same especially if we can add to it this offseason.

Hire former Jets HC Todd Bowles as Defensive Coordinator…

Another pick up from the Andy Reid coaching tree…Nagy & Bowles served under Reid during his last season in Philadelphia and would add more experience around Nagy from a head coaching experience…Bowles is in a bad spot in New York and I really can’t see how he survives…we would be a good landing spot for him to try and rebuild his reputation and get a 2nd chance at a top job.

Hire Baltimore AST Coach Chris Horton as Special Teams Coach…

Our special teams have been a joke for a number of years -  Dave Toub is the best ST coach in football so Nagy will understand the importance of it…Toub doesn’t have a long term assistant but Baltimore have an excellent special teams unit and Horton has worked under some excellent coaching staff including John Harbaugh which would give him a leg up when steeping up to a bigger role.

Resign…

RB…Benny Cunningham

WR…Kendall Wright

WR…Deonte Thompson

WR…Josh Bellamy

DE…Mitch Unrein

ILB…Christian Jones

CB…Prince Amukamara

CB…Kyle Fuller

P…Pat O'Donnell

LS…Andrew DePaola

Cunningham is the perfect #3 back in the NFL because he does everything well…Wright is a good slot received and wouldn’t break the bank…Thompson & Bellamy still bring ST value…Unrein is solid depth and again bring ST value…Jones the same…Amukamara has played pretty well when he has been out there…just needs to stay healthy…same goes for Fuller…O’Donnell has quietly became a very good punter this year…DePaola gets the job done.

Let Walk…

QB…Mark Sanchez

RB…Taquan Mizzell

TE…Zach Miller

OT…Bradley Sowell

OG…Tom Compton

DL…John Jenkins

OLB…Sam Acho

CB…Sherrick McManis

K…Connor Barth

Sanchez just isn’t good enough to be a #2…Mizzell isn’t worth a roster spot…Miller is getting older and has always been injury prone so no need to enter into a new deal with him…Sowell & Compton are both decent backups but hopefully lose out to younger options with more upside…Jenkins doesn’t offer much…Acho hopefully loses our to younger guys…McManis could still make the team on ST ability alone but hopefully he loses out to a better defender…Barth can be upgraded.

Release…

QB…Mike Glennon

WR…Markus Wheaton

OG…Josh Sitton

OLB…Pernell McPhee

S…Quintin Demps

Glennon is an obvious cut at $18 million next seasons…Wheaton is being paid for not much…Sitton is the most interesting one and I feel I should explain…he will be 32 years old and has started to show some signs of injury…he is making $8.6 million next season…that is a lot and if we can sign Andrew Nowell at 26 years old for the same kind of money we would be on to a winner…McPhee is just too injury prone to pay…Demps has shown nothing but he is not as active as Amos at SS.

Free Agents…

WR…Martavis Bryant…6-4” 213lbs…

We must surround Trubisky with as much talent as possible and we will go into next offseason with a ton of cap space and question marks…the only thing that would help this offence possible more than anything is a true deep threat who can stretch defences and allow Trubisky to look at the who field…Bryant has his issues off the field but on it there is no doubt he is a talent…very few WRs bring his size and athletic ability and he is a nightmare match up for most CBs given some can’t run with him and some just don’t have the size to match up…Bryant gives you a real complement to Meredith and becomes what White was supposed to be.

WR…Albert Wilson…5-9” 200lbs…

More help for Trubisky in the form of Wilson…with Matt Nagy coming from KC signing a player who knows the scheme would be big…Wilson is a jack of all trades who can play in the slot to compete with Kendall Wright but also has lined up in the backfield in KC…with him and Cohen lining up all over the formation it creates mismatches which is exactly what Trubisky wants to take advantage of.

TE…Troy Niklas…6-6” 270lbs…

One of the most underrated players in the entire NFL IMO…TE might not be a huge need but Niklas would be an excellent addition to this team…he has been buried on the Cardinals depth chart but brining him here and putting him alongside Shaheen & Simms would give us an excellent group of TEs who can really do it all…Niklas would be an excellent help in both the run game and as a pass blocker for Trubisky…also has the skills to be a target in the short to intermediate passing game.

OG…Andrew Norwell…6-6” 325lbs…

As I explained above this move would allow us to move on from Josh Sitton but upgrading to a younger healthy model for about the same price…Norwell is an excellent OG in both the passing and rushing game giving up just two sacks last season and finishing as PFF’s 7th overall OG…he would combine with Whitehair and Long to form unquestionably the best interior OL in the NFL and keep Trubisky upright as well as blowing open holes in the running game.

DL…Justin Ellis…6-2” 335lbs…

Goldman should be in line for a new contract and with Hicks already signed the nickel DL looks really good however the depth is pretty non-existent…Unrien is solid but depth only…Bullard has potential but hasn’t put it together yet…RRH hasn’t shown much either so finding some quality depth would make a ton of sense…Ellis is a big aggressive interior defender who has experience in both a 3-4 & 4-3…he has played DE and NT in the 3-4 and if he was starting would allow Goldman to move to the 3 tech…if not he gives us someone to spell Goldman and keep him fresh.

OLB…Aaron Lynch…6-6” 270lbs…

Time to start rebuilding the OLB position…you can never have enough pass rushers and right now we are sorely lacking…Floyd still has plenty of potential but under Fangio’s bend don’t break vanilla D he isn’t being used creatively enough…Young still get some sacks but is getting older…and I can’t see us holding on to McPhee at his price so we go for a younger option…Lynch started his NFL career with 12.5 sacks in his first two seasons but has fallen off since…he is a high upside low risk signing who with his size can play the strong side in the 3-4 as a base run defender who can also get after the QB and then on to the DL in the nickel.

CB…Ross Cockrell…6-0” 190lbs…

Another one of the more underrated players in the NFL…I was really surprised when the Steelers let Cockrell go to the Giants because he was their best CB…I have been a fan of his since he was coming out of Duke and while he isn’t a great athlete he plays with a ton of moxy and understands how to run the routes of the receivers…if we do get a DC like Bowles we know we will need a ton of DBs because of how he uses them in multiple positions.

K…Harrison Butker…6-4” 200lbs…

KC will more than likely have Santos back next season so we pick up Butker who is young with a big leg.

Draft…

Round 1…

S…Derwin James…6-2” 210lbs…Florida State…

We need different makers on defence on James is that…I was very high on Hooker & Adams coming out last year but James is a stunning combination of both…he runs and covers like a CB while being aggressive and hitting like a LB…for me James is the answer to us constantly being beaten like a drum by TEs and would give a guy like Bowles the ultimate chess piece as he can play Safety, nickel back or even as a nickel LB…sky is the limit for James.

Round 2…

OLB…Duke Ejiofor…6-4” 275lbs…Wake Forrest…

Another playmaker for the defence…as I said before you cannot have enough pass rushers and we are already short even before we lose a guy like McPhee…Ejiofor is a similar type of player…not an elite athlete like a Leonard Floyd but very strong with heavy hands and very productive even tho he has been double teamed the vast majority of his career…last season Ejiofor had 10.5 sacks and 17.0 TFL…that kind of production came from standing up as an OLB and also playing with his hand on the ground which again offers us a versatile player for when we are in the nickel…nice power complement to Floyd.

*** Bears Trade 4th & 5th to get into the tail end of the 3rd ***

Round 3…

WR…Simmie Cobbs Jr…6-4” 220lbs…Indiana…

Now we make a move up to get some more help on the outside for Trubisky…adding Bryant as a deep threat on the outside opens up so much on this offence and allow Kevin White to be a backup deep threat who we don’t need to count on too much…adding Albert Wilson in the slot means we can rotate him with Wright and Cohen quick hitter options…which leaves the position WR on the other side open…the hope is of course that Cam comes back and reclaims that spot but incase he can’t we add a guy in Simmie Cobbs Jr who’s skill set is very similar to Marques Colston’s…Cobbs jr possesses excellent size, hands and body control to dominate opponents…his performance this year again Ohio State really opened some eyes going for 11 receptions and a 149 yards with very little help elsewhere…he would be an excellent complement for the rest of the speed we would be adding on offence.

Round 4…

DL…Drew Bailey…6-4” 295lbs…Louisville…

I don’t feel we did anything like enough to upgrade the depth behind Hicks and Goldman…these two are excellent players but big dudes who have to be kept fresh to get the best out of them…Bullard and RRH have potential but we need more upfront to help our OLBs and keep the ILBs clean as well as adding some pass rush on their own…Ellis would help but we need more…Bailey has been a very active player on the Cardinals DL for a couple of seasons – last year he finished 6th on the team in tackles with 58 including 9 TFL…his size and athletic ability as well as that motor make him a good development guy behind our two studs.

Round 6…

QB…Mike White…6-4” 225lbs…Western Kentucky…

In a deep year for QBs we are in a position to sit and wait for one of the better guys to drop a little…White will more than likely be tagged as a “system QB” but there is no doubt he has some arm talent showing good arm strength and touch on his passes…Trubisky is the further but it never hurts to have a backup option…see the Redskins…and it gives you a long term backup or a guy who could be flipped for something in the future…it’s a win, win, win at the most important position in sport.

Round 7…

OLB…Byron Cowart…6-4” 255lbs…

Time to stop trying to be the choir boys of the NFL…Cowart recently left Auburn because he wasn’t getting enough playing time but as a former #1 HS recruit there is no doubt he has some talent…see what Gary Gibbs has done with the OLBs in KC this guy is worth a punt.

Depth Chart…

QB…Mitch Trubisky…Mike White                            

RB…Jordan Howard…Tarik Cohen…Benny Cummingham

FB…Michael Burton                                                        

WR…Martavis Bryant…Simmie Cobbs Jr…Josh Bellemy

WR…Cameron Meredith…Kevin White…Deonte Thompson                          

WR…Kendall Wright…Albert Wilson                         

TE…Dion Sims…Adam Shaheen…Troy Niklas

LT…Charles Leno                                                            

LG…Andrew Norwell…Jordan Morgan                    

C…Cody Whitehair…Hroniss Grasu                           

RG…Kyle Long…Eric Kush/Cut at OT                         

RT…Bobby Massie                                                           

DL…Eddie Goldman…Justin Ellis…Mitch Unrein

DL…Akiem Hicks…Jonathan Bullard…Drew Bailey

LOLB…Aaron Lynch…Duke Ejiofor                             

ILB…Danny Trevathan…Nick Kwiatkoski                 

ILB…Jerrell Freeman…Christian Jones                     

ROLB…Leonard Floyd…Willie Young…Byron Cowart

NB…Bryce Callahan…Cre'Von LeBlanc                    

CB…Prince Amukamara…Ross Cockrell                  

CB…Marcus Cooper…Kyle Fuller               

SS…Derwin James…Deon Bush                  

FS…Eddie Jackson…Adrian Amos

P…Pat O'Donnell

K…Harrison Butker

LS…Andrew DePaola

Actually a big fan of this. A few points though from my perspective.

We would need a vet to be the #2 QB. If Sanchez can't be it, then no way White would be IMO.

Bryant is talented, can't dispute that, but I would want to see what deal we could get for him. Maybe with a lower guarantee or something, but he does scare me as someone to rely on as a true 1.

Pass rush still scares me. I'd hoe we would have more competition for Lynch as Young is done IMO.

Niklas is underrated, but my favorite thing was his quote about Arians after getting praise from him -  "He gets my name confused with dumb mother(expletive) a lot."

The offense the Chiefs are running right now is incredible. Reid is blending every system ever created. 

That being said the WR core has a ton of size, but not a ton of speed. Outside of Bryant they don't have the run by you guys that seem to be thriving in KC.

9 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

that's a lot of work for the bears.  I would love Derwin James but to me I don't think the bears put any position value on safety as an organization.  I think the bear ultimately go LT , OLB or WR in round one.   

You keep saying this... just because Pace hasn't had the right opportunity with Chicago doesn't mean he doesn't "value" it...

You realize when Pace was the Director of Player Personel in New Orleans they signed S Jairus Byrd to a $60 million dollar contract AND used the #15 overall pick in the 13' draft to take S Kenny Vaccaro, right? 

But I like this quite a bit MM90, don't see any chance they keep 8 WRs though...

Is the consensus that Vic Fangio has to go too for a clean slate? With all the injuries and lack of priority for top tier talent on the Defensive side of the ball by the head shed, he's done well for us. I understand the next head coach should be offensive minded to help Mitch to the next level but, I think some continuity with Vic at the helm will keep our D on par at least.

5 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

that's a lot of work for the bears.  I would love Derwin James but to me I don't think the bears put any position value on safety as an organization.  I think the bear ultimately go LT , OLB or WR in round one.   

I don't see LT as an early round need anymore especially since they signed their current one to a multi year deal.

4 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

You keep saying this... just because Pace hasn't had the right opportunity with Chicago doesn't mean he doesn't "value" it...

You realize when Pace was the Director of Player Personel in New Orleans they signed S Jairus Byrd to a $60 million dollar contract AND used the #15 overall pick in the 13' draft to take S Kenny Vaccaro, right? 

But I like this quite a bit MM90, don't see any chance they keep 8 WRs though...

The 8 WRs was the first thing i noticed also, they definitely won't keep that many.

20 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Actually a big fan of this. A few points though from my perspective.

We would need a vet to be the #2 QB. If Sanchez can't be it, then no way White would be IMO.

Bryant is talented, can't dispute that, but I would want to see what deal we could get for him. Maybe with a lower guarantee or something, but he does scare me as someone to rely on as a true 1.

Pass rush still scares me. I'd hoe we would have more competition for Lynch as Young is done IMO.

Niklas is underrated, but my favorite thing was his quote about Arians after getting praise from him -  "He gets my name confused with dumb mother(expletive) a lot."

I think we would look at a vet QB but I think if Trubisky plays well enough we could run with two young guys...

I don't think Bryant would command a huge deal...I think he would get some decent money don't get me wrong but I think his market won't be excessive which is why I see him as the kind of player Pace would look towards...

I agree that it would be great to do even more with the pass rush but it's a top heavy draft at that position IMO so I'm not sure we have a ton of options on the back end.

20 hours ago, WindyCity said:

What happens to Roy Robertson-Harris?

The free agency would be aggressive and I am not sure they will assume the risk of Bryant.

Albert Wilson is a sneaky good player who would be an ideal #4 guy you can use in different gadget roles.

I don't think RRH has shown enough to keep...he and Bullard really need to step it up but I think Bullard is saved by his draft position and upside over RRH...

I don't think under a new coaching staff that is an overly aggressive FA period...most of the pickups are depth guys rather than out and out starters...the rewards of Bryant outweigh the risks on the right deal IMO...we need to stop being choir boys.

19 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The offense the Chiefs are running right now is incredible. Reid is blending every system ever created. 

That being said the WR core has a ton of size, but not a ton of speed. Outside of Bryant they don't have the run by you guys that seem to be thriving in KC.

I think if you add Bryant who runs a 4.3 & Wilson who runs a 4.3 to Wright who runs 4.4...Cohen who runs 4.4 but looks like a 4.3 guy as well as White who is a 4.3 guy and Meredith who was a 4.4 guy then you have plenty of speed...

Not only that we need to remember we won't have Kelce who is a huge 6-5 receiver when all is said and done so the offence will need to be a little different.

9 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

I don't see us going LT after resigning Leno...no WR is worth a top 5 pick...Key is an excellent looking OLB but I think James adds more.

8 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

The idea behind the 8 WRs is that Thompson & Bellamy are out and out ST players...if a CB or LB steps up and players better than them on teams they would be gone.

On 10/9/2017 at 6:33 PM, Madmike90 said:

The idea behind the 8 WRs is that Thompson & Bellamy are out and out ST players...if a CB or LB steps up and players better than them on teams they would be gone.

Neither will be on the 2018 squad... As a matter of fact, ones not even on the 2017 squad anymore. Lol

Archived