4th and 1 Zeke Elliott Run - Correct Call?

incognito_man

I think it should be a first.  The defense was pulling him back and reached out as far as he could and that was his forward progress.  Trying to put more on the refs about did he voluntarily go back, was he being contacted and pushed back, was forward progress stopped is too much for them. 

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He reached the ball forward again to establish a "new" forward progress, it doesn't just instantly stop once he reaches out. They usually let about a second or so of play go by in any game with the ball carrier not advancing before they blow a play dead. He needs to hold that ball out there to get the foward progress, by quickly retracting it, he should have waved that progress and it should've gone back to where it was spotted.

im genuinely asking because i have no idea, is that the official rule? I kinda just thought once they deem has progress is stopped, its done. to me, this decides if its the wrong call or not. 

2 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

im genuinely asking because i have no idea, is that the official rule? I kinda just thought once they deem has progress is stopped, its done. to me, this decides if its the wrong call or not. 

I can't recall a situation where this happened, so I'm not sure how the official rule is interpreted. I'd like to hear the NFL come out and say what the call should've been. From my interpretation since he willingly brought the ball back and wasn't forced to, he shouldn't have been given forward progress.

I also pointed this out to the group I was watching the game with. Everyone said he was contacted in the pile and so he was down. BUT if he was contacted and progress stopped, wouldn't he have been down before he extended the ball? I would also like to see an explanation from the officials.

I think my main problem with the reversal is that the overhead camera wasn't directly over where the ball was. It was over the 20-yard-line. The angle would make it seem like he advanced it further than he did. Also, the Cowboys looked like they needed to get over the line to get a first down. The respot put the ball past the 19-yard-line (and the ref commented that Elliott got past the 19-yard-line). I don't think the overhead camera showed it going past the 19-yard-line. Even with the overhead camera, it looked like he got to the 19-yard-line (but not past) at best. Oh well. I'm just glad it didn't decide the outcome of the game in the end.

Anybody see the Cowboys coach move the marker on the sideline? :)

On 10/9/2017 at 2:18 PM, TheEagle said:

I think my main problem with the reversal is that the overhead camera wasn't directly over where the ball was. It was over the 20-yard-line. The angle would make it seem like he advanced it further than he did. Also, the Cowboys looked like they needed to get over the line to get a first down. The respot put the ball past the 19-yard-line (and the ref commented that Elliott got past the 19-yard-line). I don't think the overhead camera showed it going past the 19-yard-line. Even with the overhead camera, it looked like he got to the 19-yard-line (but not past) at best. Oh well. I'm just glad it didn't decide the outcome of the game in the end.

Anybody see the Cowboys coach move the marker on the sideline? :)

Noticed this as well. On the 3rd down play, the first down marker was at about the 18 and 2 feet. Really think this was a blown call even if you do give Elliott credit for full extension.

On 10/9/2017 at 10:26 AM, GSUeagles14 said:

isnt it all about forward progress? SO if they decided his forward progress was stopped when he had the ball extended, that would be the correct spot if im not mistaken.

I think this is correct. It could have come down to when the ref blew his whistle when he believed forward progress had ended, it is often a very quick whistle to protect the RB from getting injured. The RB does not have to be tackled, just forward progress stopped and in contact with an opponent. What happens after the whistle is blown really does not matter and the ref will always error on caution in a lot of those circumstances to protect players.

11 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

I think this is correct. It could have come down to when the ref blew his whistle when he believed forward progress had ended, it is often a very quick whistle to protect the RB from getting injured. The RB does not have to be tackled, just forward progress stopped and in contact with an opponent. What happens after the whistle is blown really does not matter and the ref will always error on caution in a lot of those circumstances to protect players.

forward progress can only be stopped by a defender. Elliott voluntarily brought the ball backward.

25 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

forward progress can only be stopped by a defender. Elliott voluntarily brought the ball backward.

the first part is correct and the 2nd part is irrelevant, so one out of two which is pretty good. if the refs ruled his progress was stopped when the ball was extended, then thats the end of the play, him bringing the ball back voluntary does not matter one bit.

25 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

the first part is correct and the 2nd part is irrelevant, so one out of two which is pretty good. if the refs ruled his progress was stopped when the ball was extended, then thats the end of the play, him bringing the ball back voluntary does not matter one bit.

his progress wasn't stopped by anyone but himself...that's the entire point of this thread.

21 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

his progress wasn't stopped by anyone but himself...that's the entire point of this thread.

i disagree, as im sure most would. from your op your apparently have two different thoughts on this, so was he stopped or not? which one of your two versions are you going with?

Result: Gets absolutely stuffed by the hardcore GB defense ....buuut

Replay: Zeke extends ball to line of gain, brings ball back voluntarily in his arms and the play ends with him (and ball) well behind the line of gain (he was not pushed back any further, he was just stopped).

23 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

i disagree, as im sure most would. from your op your apparently have two different thoughts on this, so was he stopped or not? which one of your two versions are you going with?

most don't. read the thread. there a difference between a body and a football. The ball isn't spotted relative to a body part. One is a living human and one is a ball. 

(the ball is the ball, fyi)

24 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

most don't. read the thread. there a difference between a body and a football. The ball isn't spotted relative to a body part. One is a living human and one is a ball. 

(the ball is the ball, fyi)

what i figured, should have left blocked posts blocked. this doesnt even come close to answering the question. which was a pretty simple question tbh. and could you point any where people feel his progress was only stopped by himself? Video cleary shows a handful of gb defenders hanging on to him.

Archived