Road to the Playoffs

THESKINSFAN21

So, if you are like my brain and need to know the answer to questions like "hey, is it possible for one of these teams to make it into the playoffs with just five wins?" at one in the morning, congratulations, I have spent the time and effort to figure the many scenarios that any of the teams can win the division with just five wins.

For Dallas to get the crown with five wins, they need Washington to lose out. WFT has the head to head tie breaker, so any subsequent win by Washington, is a non starter for a five win Cowboys team. Beyond that restriction, it gets easier for them if their wins are against the Giants or Philadelphia, but not necessarily required. The latter paths require luck and other scenarios that it would take too long to list now.

Philadelphia, due to their tie, is actually in the best situation from a purely record perspective. Unless someone else ties, they have a tiebreaker for essentially having an extra half win. In fact, if Washington were to lose out and Philly's only win the rest of the way was the season ending game with WFT,  they could conceivably win the division at 4-11-1. That would require Dallas (only win can be against the Eagles in Week 16) and the Giants (would have to beat Dallas in week 17) to end with no more than 4 wins, but right now, would you want to bet the over for any of these teams?

The Giants' paths depend on that last game against the Cowboys. They have the tiebreaker with Washington, but have split with Philly, and lost the first game to Dallas. They could significantly strengthen their hand if their fifth win was Dallas as that would give them a 4-2 division record with the only team having a comparable one being Washington.

Washington can get in with five, but Philly either has to come into Week 17 on a complete skid, or be defeated for it to work for the Burgundy and Gold.

41 minutes ago, e16bball said:

With the Giants scoring 7 points, they’ve now guaranteed the win against the Bengals, so we now slide back into second. 

(😉)

Bengals tie it up. 

I'm telling you guys...There's something to said about history & patterns.

In the all time matchups with Giants vs Bengals?

The Bengals have never beat the Giants @Giants.

&

the Giants have never beat the Bengals @Bengals.

todays game?

@Bengals

throw talent, depth, coaching, injuries & everything out the window.

The Bengals will somehow win this game. It even might be their last win of the season, but they'll beat the Giants today.

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Bengals tie it up. 

&

todays game?

@Bengals

The Bengals will somehow win this game. It even might be their last win of the season, but they'll beat the Giants today.

Well...they were closer than they had any right to be 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Bengals tie it up. 

&

todays game?

@Bengals

Or not ...

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

For all the playoff guys, you can thank Rivera for going for two against the Giants that the team is in this situation. They most likely would’ve won that game and been a whole game up on the division. 

I wouldn't say most likely,it would have went to OT so who knows

From the draft thread

On 11/28/2020 at 11:29 AM, Woz said:
On 11/28/2020 at 11:16 AM, Woz said:

Dallas (3-8)
Thu, Dec 3 - @ Baltimore [normally, I would say loss and close the books, but do they really make the Ravens play two games in three days? this one is up in the air to me] [Update: since it is now scheduled for next Monday, I will put this down as a loss]
Sun, Dec 13 - @ Cincinnati [win]
Sun, Dec 20 - v San Francisco [win]
Sun, Dec 27 - v Philadelphia [loss]
Sun, Jan 3 - @ NY Giants [loss]
FINAL: 5-11 or 6-10

NY Giants (3-7)
Sun, Nov 29 - @ Cincinnati [win]
Sun, Dec 6 - @ Seattle [loss]
Sun, Dec 13 - v Arizona [loss]
Sun, Dec 20 - v Cleveland [win; yeah, I know highly unlikely, but I think the Giants steal a W in here ... maybe against Arizona?]
Sun, Dec 27 - @ Baltimore [loss]
Sun, Jan 3 - v Dallas [win]
FINAL: 6-10

Philadelphia (3-6-1)
Mon, Nov 30 - v Seattle [loss]
Sun, Dec 6 - @ Green Bay [loss; oh look a strength of schedule game]
Sun, Dec 13 - v New Orleans [loss; oh look another strength of schedule game]
Sun, Dec 20 - @ Arizona [loss]
Sun, Dec 27 - @ Dallas [win]
Sun, Jan 3 - v Washington [win]
FINAL: 5-10-1

Washington (4-7)
Sun, Dec 6 - @ Pittsburgh [loss]
Sun, Dec 13 - @ San Francisco [win]
Sun, Dec 20 - v Seattle [loss]
Sun, Dec 27 - v Carolina [loss; it will be close]
Sun, Jan 3 - @ Philadelphia [loss; it's who they are ... they'll strive and come up short]
FINAL: 5-11

One thing I didn't fully realize when I put this together is that this would mean Washington is in third because they have the tiebreaker with Dallas.

57 minutes ago, Woz said:

All I need now is for Wentz to go down and my "Look at the NFC East's Marquee Quarterback" list will be in full effect!

If you told me that Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Colt McCoy and Jalen Hurts would be starting by December, I'd call you crazy until I realized this is still 2020.  Hurts is also getting a bunch of first team reps, so even an injury might not be the cause for Hurts to come in.  

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If you told me that Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Colt McCoy and Jalen Hurts would be starting by December, I'd call you crazy until I realized this is still 2020.  Hurts is also getting a bunch of first team reps, so even an injury might not be the cause for Hurts to come in.  

On 10/11/2020 at 9:54 PM, Woz said:

You realize that if Daniel Jones gets hurt or keeps playing poorly, there is a very conceivable possibility that the NFC East marquee would read:

COME SEE THE QB DUELS OF THE CENTURY BETWEEN
Andy Dalton!
Kyle Allen!
Jalen Hurts! and
Colt McCoy!

I just didn't think they'd go to Alex Smith.

11 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Because you didn't think Allen would get hurt, or you thought that, despite Rivera going nuclear on Haskins that he would put him back out there?  

Didn't account for Allen getting hurt long term.

22 hours ago, Woz said:

From the draft thread

One thing I didn't fully realize when I put this together is that this would mean Washington is in third because they have the tiebreaker with Dallas.

@ Pittsburgh 
 @ San Francisco 
 Seattle 

That's a tough 3 game schedule for us. On paper, no way we beat the Steelers and Seahawks and the 49ers that's a tough pill to shallow. We simply don't have the fire power. We MAY have a chance to win only two games (Eagles and Carolina). The Giants sweep could very well come back and hurt us. Sweeping the Boys certainly help b/c they  certainly have more weapons  than any team in the East. Eagles have the D and some weapons also but currently have very poor play at QB. They have that don't smell right look about them.  Look for Hurts to start soon.  Now the G man have QB issues with McCoy at QB. Jones is expected to miss sometime. One thing we should know about McCoy he is not a deep ball thrower which will narrow the field offensively for the G man. The rest of our divisional foe have tough schedules also. 

Let  the falling cards land were they may. 😬

Edited by 4209