Week 12 - Rams vs 49ers

RamRod

47 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yep completely the same situation 

The team is not afraid to move on from someone regardless of age, contract, or previous commitments. The goal is a superbowl and long term sustainable success. McVay, Donald, and Ramsey I'd say are the only untouchables. 

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Unless McVay magically finds the next Brady in the 6th round, Goff is the guy. We simply don't have better options. Here's hoping he figures his crap out.

He had very high praise of Bryce Perkins. Not saying this season, but let's see how this year plays out heading into the offseason.

Just now, LeotheLion said:

He's also had very high praise of Goff and said Gurley was fine. Anything McVay says publicly is always coach-speak. 

So what does it say when he publicly calls out his QB?

Also, coaches are expected to speak highly of key name players. Bryce Perkins is an undrafted practice squad guy. No reason to do that.

**I'm in no way suggesting Bryce Perkins should play this season.**

25 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Also, coaches are expected to speak highly of key name players. Bryce Perkins is an undrafted practice squad guy. No reason to do that.

Isn't the fact that he's on the practice squad significant? If he thought he was a future starter, why would he not keep him on the active roster?

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Isn't the fact that he's on the practice squad significant? If he thought he was a future starter, why would he not keep him on the active roster?

If Goff goes down to injury, Wolford would step in to run to offense. He played well in last years pre-season to win the job and could be adequate at best. 

I think McVay sees Perkins as a project. He's not ready to jump in this season, but another offseason and perhaps a preseason to run with the 2's would be great. The shortened offseason and no preseason this year really eliminated any chance of Perkins making the active roster. 

36 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

It says he has a bad game.

If Perkins ever plays I hope he balls out. But he's on the practice squad for a reason. He wasn't drafted for a reason. It's not like Wolford is a proven backup either. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

It says he has a bad game.

If Perkins ever plays I hope he balls out. But he's on the practice squad for a reason. He wasn't drafted for a reason. It's not like Wolford is a proven backup either. 

He had a bad game and it resulted in us losing. Just like in Miami.

And I said last week, we got very lucky that Brady threw that 2nd pick because Goff turned it over twice in the 2nd half to TB. Our defense stepped up and sealed that victory. This week, they let SF get in field goal range and we weren't so lucky. Goff is Jekyl & Hyde and his lows cost us games. I wouldn't mind taking the sacks or overthrowing open guys as much if he limited turn overs. It's more than one bad game, this is the culmination of inconsistencies we've seen over the last 2 seasons. 

We aren't getting blown out. We're in every single one of these games because of our defense and that is why Goff's play is being amplified lately. Our defense is top 3 in the league and our QB cannot protect the football. I hope the internal stuff doesn't get ugly from this. 

Edited by BStanRamFan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

He had a bad game and it resulted in us losing. Just like in Miami.

And I said last week, we got very lucky that Brady through that 2nd pick because Goff turned it over twice in the 2nd half to TB. Our defense stepped up and sealed that victory. This week, they let SF get in field goal range and we weren't so lucky. Goff is Jekyl & Hyde and his lows cost us games. I wouldn't mind taking the sacks or overthrowing open guys as much if he limited turn overs. It's more than one bad game, this is the culmination of inconsistencies we've seen over the last 2 seasons. 

We aren't getting blown out. We're in every single one of these games because of our defense and that is why Goff's play is being amplified lately. Our defense is top 3 in the league and our QB cannot protect the football. I hope the internal stuff doesn't get ugly from this. 

I still cant get behind your "Rams got lucky" statement. Cant say Rams got lucky and then say Rams have a top 3 defense. Doesnt belong in the same sentence. It makes more sense to say the Raiders got lucky to intercept Mahomes in each of their games considering the Raiders defense arent good. Rams defense is legit and so there is no luck involved. If Brady didnt throw that pick on the last drive it doesnt mean he wouldnt have thrown a pick later on the possession or took a big sack or thrown 4 straight incompletions to turn the ball over on downs to lose. 

Now with Goff the turnovers are a real issue and he cost the team two games this year. The Niners game yesterday and the Dolphins game. On the flip side though he won the game for the Rams against the Seahawks and Bucs. What annoys me is people dont nearly give him the praise for when the Rams win and give him all the blame when the Rams lose. The Rams dont lose very much and that says alot about Goff. He couldve pissed away alot more games even if though he had better stats. We've seen too many QBs do that. Wilson did that weeks ago when the Seahawks had an 11pt lead in the 4th quarter. Wilson had 3 tds in that game looking pretty good and then all of a sudden he threw 2 ints in the 4th/OT and the Seahawks lost. So at least very least Goff is not pissing away games where the offense is looking good along with the defense but he makes a bad or two bad decisions in the 4th quarter with a lead and as a result the Rams lose. At the very minimum Goff need to start throwing the ball away if nothing is there. I get he is trying to trust his receivers to be there but when you have a legit defense like the Niners, Bucs, and Dolphins you cant do that. Throw the ball away and live to fight another play. Defense is top 3 so punting isnt a bad thing. I think though he will play better. We just have to understand he will have about 3 games like he had yesterday per season. If we can live with that understanding the end game is still a 10+ win team fighting for a chance to at least get to the NFCCG then we are good.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I still cant get behind your "Rams got lucky" statement. Cant say Rams got lucky and then say Rams have a top 3 defense. Doesnt belong in the same sentence. It makes more sense to say the Raiders got lucky to intercept Mahomes in each of their games considering the Raiders defense arent good. Rams defense is legit and so there is no luck involved. If Brady didnt throw that pick on the last drive it doesnt mean he wouldnt have thrown a pick later on the possession or took a big sack or thrown 4 straight incompletions to turn the ball over on downs to lose. 

Brady's second interception was very uncharacteristic of him. Based on the past, giving the ball back to Tom Brady with the ability to go ahead and under 4minutes left is a death sentence. He made a bad throw on his second interception and it fell into our laps. I consider that lucky. We gave the ball back to Tom Brady twice in the second half anbd it turns out he's just old and dusty now ( i love it). Also, the NFL is set up for offenses to succeed in general. Our defense is one of the best, but even the best defenses can be burned or flagged by today's NFL. 

Our defense is consistent week in and week out. Our O-line this season has been consistent. We have 3 RB's averages 4 YPC. Our WR core has the highest total YAC in the league.

We ride and die by Goff. Sometimes our defense overcomes his follies. Yesterday they didn't. It's not a recipe for success in the playoffs. He needs to protect the football. 

8 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Brady's second interception was very uncharacteristic of him. Based on the past, giving the ball back to Tom Brady with the ability to go ahead and under 4minutes left is a death sentence. He made a bad throw on his second interception and it fell into our laps. I consider that lucky. We gave the ball back to Tom Brady twice in the second half anbd it turns out he's just old and dusty now ( i love it). Also, the NFL is set up for offenses to succeed in general. Our defense is one of the best, but even the best defenses can be burned or flagged by today's NFL. 

Our defense is consistent week in and week out. Our O-line this season has been consistent. We have 3 RB's averages 4 YPC. Our WR core has the highest total YAC in the league.

We ride and die by Goff. Sometimes our defense overcomes his follies. Yesterday they didn't. It's not a recipe for success in the playoffs. He needs to protect the football. 

I think we gloss over that fact you mentioned about 3 backs. We don’t need to rotate 3 backs. Backs need to get in a groove. Years ago people weren’t looking at Henry as the best back in tut NFL. Why? Because he was splitting carries with DeMarco Murray and then Dion Lewis. It wasn’t till Vrabel came along and decided to feed Henry that’s when Henry became the best back in the NFL. I don’t think we fully will know how good if not great Akers and/or Henderson can be if McVay keeps playing 3 back rotation. The running game wasn’t working yesterday but part of me feel like if McVay just said we are going to run Akers 20+ times instead of 9 that maybe just maybe the running game would’ve been a lot better which in turn would’ve helped Goff a lot. Again it’s tough to get in a groove when one back gets 9 carries another back gets 10 carries and another back gets 3 carries. The Rams running game ceiling is capped by McVay own doing and as a result the offense is capped because we all say this offense relies on the running game and then everything else flows from there. When Gurley was himself the reason Goff looked great was because Gurley got the ball 20+ times. There was no rotation when Gurley was himself. Even if he started slowly he kept getting fed then got better as the game went on. McVay need to give Akers and/or Henderson that same opportunity. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I think we gloss over that fact you mentioned about 3 backs. We don’t need to rotate 3 backs. Backs need to get in a groove. Years ago people weren’t looking at Henry as the best back in tut NFL. Why? Because he was splitting carries with DeMarco Murray and then Dion Lewis. It wasn’t till Vrabel came along and decided to feed Henry that’s when Henry became the best back in the NFL. I don’t think we fully will know how good if not great Akers and/or Henderson can be if McVay keeps playing 3 back rotation. The running game wasn’t working yesterday but part of me feel like if McVay just said we are going to run Akers 20+ times instead of 9 that maybe just maybe the running game would’ve been a lot better which in turn would’ve helped Goff a lot. Again it’s tough to get in a groove when one back gets 9 carries another back gets 10 carries and another back gets 3 carries. The Rams running game ceiling is capped by McVay own doing and as a result the offense is capped because we all say this offense relies on the running game and then everything else flows from there. When Gurley was himself the reason Goff looked great was because Gurley got the ball 20+ times. There was no rotation when Gurley was himself. Even if he started slowly he kept getting fed then got better as the game went on. McVay need to give Akers and/or Henderson that same opportunity. 

The running game is capped by Henderson and Akers inability to be reliable in pass blocking situations. When they can do that consistently, Brown will fade away. Also, Brown is needed for short yardage situations when we need to crank out 1 or 2 yards to keep a drive alive. Akers and Henderson cannot overpower anyone in small areas to push the pile; not yet atleast. 

• Like 1