Week 12 - Rams vs 49ers

RamRod

2 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

The running game is capped by Henderson and Akers inability to be reliable in pass blocking situations. When they can do that consistently, Brown will fade away. Also, Brown is needed for short yardage situations when we need to crank out 1 or 2 yards to keep a drive alive. Akers and Henderson cannot overpower anyone in small areas to push the pile; not yet atleast. 

I would agree with you if Akers and Henderson were late round draft picks. Akers was a 2nd round pick and the Rams traded up in the 3rd round for Henderson. You dont hold those guys back. You coach them up but you put them out there and give them touches because you know they have the ability to at any time bust a long one like Akers did on that 61yd run. He got 9 carries. Imagine if he got 20? Could he have busted 2 or 3 long runs? Could he have taken over that game eventually? He could’ve taken so much pressure off Goff because the defense now would’ve been more worried about Akers busting another long one that’s when Goff playaction wide open receivers down the field. So I’m just saying McVay needs to give these guys more of a chance since he did invest higher draft capital in them.  

4 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I would agree with you if Akers and Henderson were late round draft picks. Akers was a 2nd round pick and the Rams traded up in the 3rd round for Henderson. You dont hold those guys back. You coach them up but you put them out there and give them touches because you know they have the ability to at any time bust a long one like Akers did on that 61yd run. He got 9 carries. Imagine if he got 20? Could he have busted 2 or 3 long runs? Could he have taken over that game eventually? He could’ve taken so much pressure off Goff because the defense now would’ve been more worried about Akers busting another long one that’s when Goff playaction wide open receivers down the field. So I’m just saying McVay needs to give these guys more of a chance since he did invest higher draft capital in them.  

It comes at the expense of exposing Goff to more pass rushers and we see how it reacts when pressured lol McVay is doing a damn good job and working with what he has.

Also, SF just set the edge yesterday. Our wide zone runs weren't working because we couldn't set the edge with our WR/TE/OT blocking out there. I agree, I'd like to see more Akers, but it could come at the risk of putting Goff under pressure more and I dont want to know how many more turnovers he would have in that situation lol 

9 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

It comes at the expense of exposing Goff to more pass rushers and we see how it reacts when pressured lol McVay is doing a damn good job and working with what he has.

Also, SF just set the edge yesterday. Our wide zone runs weren't working because we couldn't set the edge with our WR/TE/OT blocking out there. I agree, I'd like to see more Akers, but it could come at the risk of putting Goff under pressure more and I dont want to know how many more turnovers he would have in that situation lol 

Well I’d like to see Akers get a shot to at least get 20 touches. Goff and McVay should be able to figure out the rest. I don’t know off the top but was David Johnson and Alvin Kamara great at passing pro coming out? I’m not sure. We are talking about Arians with Johnson having Palmer and then Payton with Kamara having Brees. Those coaches gave those backs lots of opportunity year one especially year two. They certainly wasn’t giving them 9 carries in games trying to rotate 3 backs. Heck during Kamara rookie season the Saints had Peterson and Ingram and he could’ve justified keeping Kamara on the sidelines but he didn’t. He had Kamara out there with Peterson watching and then ended up shipping Peterson off to make sure he gives Kamara more of a bigger role. Took the pressure a lot off Brees when he could hand it off or dump it off to Kamara and he can get chunks of yards. Henderson and Akers have that big play ability but again they have to get more opportunity than just 9 or 10 touches. 

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

Well I’d like to see Akers get a shot to at least get 20 touches. Goff and McVay should be able to figure out the rest. I don’t know off the top but was David Johnson and Alvin Kamara great at passing pro coming out? I’m not sure. We are talking about Arians with Johnson having Palmer and then Payton with Kamara having Brees. Those coaches gave those backs lots of opportunity year one especially year two. They certainly wasn’t giving them 9 carries in games trying to rotate 3 backs. Heck during Kamara rookie season the Saints had Peterson and Ingram and he could’ve justified keeping Kamara on the sidelines but he didn’t. He had Kamara out there with Peterson watching and then ended up shipping Peterson off to make sure he gives Kamara more of a bigger role. Took the pressure a lot off Brees when he could hand it off or dump it off to Kamara and he can get chunks of yards. Henderson and Akers have that big play ability but again they have to get more opportunity than just 9 or 10 touches. 

Our offense is reliant on the PA Pass. To do that successfully, you need to sell the run. In order to keep Goff upright, we need Brown in the game.Therefore, we need him to get a few touches so that defenders do not see him in and automatically assume it's a pass play.

I know it's easy to compare the situation to other young RB's, but I'm pretty confident McVay has a reason for what he's doing lol 

15 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Ehhh not reallyy, when he was there he wasn't utilized by Goff. 

Cooks has played with Brees, Watson, Brady, and Goff. Cooks' highest yard season was with Goff and highest yards per target with Goff. So was Cooks never utilized throughout his career? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

Cooks has played with Brees, Watson, Brady, and Goff. Cooks' highest yard season was with Goff and highest yards per target with Goff. So was Cooks never utilized throughout his career? 

Did i say career ? 

The first year ok but last year ? Where was he ? Did Goff throw at him ? 

Honestly, I don’t see Goff struggling the rest of the year because of the teams we are about face (maybe Arizona). So I can see him doing good 

what I want to see more from him is not ****ting his pants against defenses that are top notch. If he can’t get that figured out then he shouldn’t be here. 

and depending on the year Goff has, I’m willing to bet the Rams draft a QB in the next draft. 

23 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Did i say career ? 

The first year ok but last year ? Where was he ? Did Goff throw at him ? 

The first year was argubably his best in his career. It was more than okay lol. Last year Cooks was hurt, Goff was inconsistent, and the OL was bad. With improved pass protection this year we'd have time take shots downfield. Reynolds doesn't get much separation and he is weak fighting for the ball. 

I'd like to see Van get shots downfield but that hasn't happened yet. But it does seem like we need an answer when teams are sitting on the short routes on 3rd downs. 

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

Honestly, I don’t see Goff struggling the rest of the year because of the teams we are about face (maybe Arizona). So I can see him doing good 

what I want to see more from him is not ****ting his pants against defenses that are top notch. If he can’t get that figured out then he shouldn’t be here. 

and depending on the year Goff has, I’m willing to bet the Rams draft a QB in the next draft. 

I think the Pats will give Goff problems. Their defense is still good plus it’s Belichick. Outside of them I’m confident against the Cards, Seahawks, and Jets. Rams will still be in position to go (10-6) the only way I can see worst case scenario (9-7) if the Rams split with both the Seahawks and Cards and then lose to the Pats. Still the Rams will be at worst the 7th seed going to either Green Bay (whom can’t stop the run) or Seattle (the Rams have so much success against). Now I won’t like playing in the cold in Green Bay but a run game and great defense cures a lot. McVay I can’t imagine won’t stop running on Green Bay especially seeing how teams even the Jags have ran all over them. But again that’s worst case scenario. Really the only team I don’t want to face in the playoffs is the Bucs. I don’t want to see Brady again. I don’t want to go to Green Bay in the cold but I don’t want to face Brady anywhere again. Saints, Cards, Seahawks, and whomever from the NFC East I’ll be confident. Plus I think we will get Whit back for the playoffs and I trust he’ll be ready to go which in term will give Goff even great confidence. 

3 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

New England is the only defense that worries me (because of Belichick). McVay better cook something good up for that game. Frankly, outside of San Francisco and Miami, Goff has performed well on the whole this year. Those defenses had our number. I wish he didn't turn into a turnover prone mess when he really struggles, but hopefully, he's gotten those games out of his system. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

The first year was argubably his best in his career. It was more than okay lol. Last year Cooks was hurt, Goff was inconsistent, and the OL was bad. With improved pass protection this year we'd have time take shots downfield. Reynolds doesn't get much separation and he is weak fighting for the ball. 

I'd like to see Van get shots downfield but that hasn't happened yet. But it does seem like we need an answer when teams are sitting on the short routes on 3rd downs. 

I'd like to see Josh go to the bench for Van. Josh's lack of physicality and inconsistent effort bothers me. He's a better YAC WR than Van, but I'd rather have Van's quickness, route running, and ball skills.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

New England is the only defense that worries me (because of Belichick). McVay better cook something good up for that game. Frankly, outside of San Francisco and Miami, Goff has performed well on the whole this year. Those defenses had our number. I wish he didn't turn into a turnover prone mess when he really struggles, but hopefully, he's gotten those games out of his system. 

It’s a San Fran thing. In the same way the Rams make Wilson struggle and the same way the Niners can’t stop Murray even when healthy on defense. It’s just that simple. Certain teams just have others numbers. I learned styles make fights. Kyle and McVay know each other so well you can throw out the record. I just personally didn’t want to get swept by this Niners team. If the Rams though end up sweeping the Seahawks which I can totally see happening because McVay has Pete number then I’ll feel a lot better. I won’t buy the Cards beating McVay until I see it. So only one game Goff could struggle and that’s the Pats. Every other game I think Goff will look good if not great then in the playoffs it will be about doing what ever it takes to win I don’t care how ugly or pretty it looks. 

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I'd like to see Josh go to the bench for Van. Josh's lack of physicality and inconsistent effort bothers me. He's a better YAC WR than Van, but I'd rather have Van's quickness, route running, and ball skills.

His effort on the only deep shot was so frustrating. The safety was in horrible position and that's a PI if he just fights back to the ball and tries to be a target. 

I doubt we see Van in place of him but I'm with you on wanting to see that switch. 

• Like 1