USMNT Thread: Wandering in the Wilderness

LeeEvans

So the US advanced to the semifinals of the Gold Cup with a 2-0 win over El Salvador. The talking point of the match was El Salvador defender Henry Romero channeling his inner Luis Suarez and taking a bite out of Jozy Altidore's shoulder. Jozy had this to say on the incident:

“My girl’s mad at me,” the American forward said. “She’s mad at me. She’s mad at Romero, ‘cause she’s like: ‘Only I can bite you, only I can grab your nipples.’”

Well said Jozy, well said. 

The team really looked great when Dempsey came on. He still has some skill them old legs.
Also loved what I saw from Nagbe. Nifty moves and dangerous all day.
Howard not much to do but needed to make 2 great saves and made them both.

This was an ecouraging game all around.

On 7/22/2017 at 11:46 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

When did Dempsey become the best passer on the USMNT? 

Until Pulisic showed up he had been our most creative player for quite some time, arguably even while Donovan was still around. Doesn't always come off but he's capable of passes that most of the guys in the pool don't even try. 

Feel like he's better suited to super sub role for Russia but none of the guys who should be pushing and supplanting him in that 2nd striker kind of role - Morris, Wood, Agudelo, etc. - have really fully seized that from him yet. It's not easy to fit Dempsey into a system where Pulisic is the one pulling the strings but we've seen them play and work well together, so unless someone really steps it up over the next year we could well see Dempsey holding down the fort for one more World Cup run. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

On 7/24/2017 at 10:07 PM, swoosh said:

Tell me about it. I bought tickets for the Gold Cup right after USA won and spent $90/ticket. Those same tickets are going for $35 each. 

Ouch. Should be a lot more US fans there now at least....