USMNT Thread: Wandering in the Wilderness

LeeEvans

37 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I don't know about the quality of the Paraguay squad but this has been very impressive from the US. Dominating possession, pressing quickly when they lose the ball and winning it back. Saief is dribbling all over Paraguay. 

... is still at work ... score check?

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

... is still at work ... score check?

Ended 1-0. The US fizzled out after about the 60th minute but was still very comfortable. Paraguay ended the match with about 8 yellow cards, they were absolutely outrageous. 

Some of the younger players were quite impressive, Saief and Adams the most in my opinion. Miazga and Carter Vickers were also very good in the center of defense. Steffens continues to look very shakey in goal. 

Just now, LeeEvans said:

Ended 1-0. The US fizzled out after about the 60th minute but was still very comfortable. Paraguay ended the match with about 8 yellow cards, they were absolutely outrageous. 

Some of the younger players were quite impressive, Saief and Adams the most in my opinion. Miazga and Carter Vickers were also very good in the center of defense. Steffens continues to look very shakey in goal. 

Hey, I'll take it.

Looking at a couple of highlights (boss isn't looking :D ), is it just the videos or does Villafana actually look like a decent wing now?

Also, for the first time that I can think of, it looks like we're moving off ball quite well. Are the kids in fact alright, or am I just seeing things through the YouTube filter?

On March 27, 2018 at 9:00 PM, Woz said:

Hey, I'll take it.

Looking at a couple of highlights (boss isn't looking :D ), is it just the videos or does Villafana actually look like a decent wing now?

Also, for the first time that I can think of, it looks like we're moving off ball quite well. Are the kids in fact alright, or am I just seeing things through the YouTube filter?

It did look like they were moving the ball around pretty well.  Adams was MOTM for sure. Trapp had a very nice game also. CCV and Miazga looked very calm and composed. I thought Steffen did fine. Although I'm bummed that we missed out on the WC, hopefully this will be the punch in the gut we need. Although I'm crazy for dreaming our 2022 line could look a lot like this in a Diamond 4-4-2:

Sargent-Weah

Pulisic

Adams-McKennie

Acosta

Robinson-Miazga-CCV-Yedlin

GK

Unsure who to put at DM as I like Acosta but I'm not sure I see him as a #6. Also unsure about GK? Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I know the game was a while ago, but was on vacation.  Watching that game really makes you wonder why some of the young guys weren't given chances much earlier when the veterans were playing like crap.  Now we get to watch Fox turn the World Cup into a Mexico love fest. 

• 1 month later...

Didn't get to watch yesterday - caught the highlights though and read some reports. Might just be "lowly" Bolivia, but given that we're sitting at home cause we couldn't beat Trinidad, definitely have some things to be excited about after yesterday.

With the club season over - do you guys think we wait till after the WC to make a move on a coach? I'm not very up on the sport, but as of now I'd love to see if we could snag Conte (based mostly on what I saw with the Italy team in Euro 16), but it sounds like he's taken some shots at US Soccer that would preclude him from contention. 

Edited by chillparsi1

2 hours ago, chillparsi1 said:

Didn't get to watch yesterday - caught the highlights though and read some reports. Might just be "lowly" Bolivia, but given that we're sitting at home cause we couldn't beat Trinidad, definitely have some things to be excited about after yesterday.

With the club season over - do you guys think we wait till after the WC to make a move on a coach? I'm not very up on the sport, but as of now I'd love to see if we could snag Conte (based mostly on what I saw with the Italy team in Euro 16), but it sounds like he's taken some shots at US Soccer that would preclude him from contention. 

I think it is highly likely we wait until after the WC, there isn't really any incentive to do so before. 

I'd say it will be virtually impossible to get a manager of Conte's level to manage the US team. There were rumors Italy wanted him back and he turned them down, there is no reason he'd come to the US unfortunately. I'm not entirely sure what our plan is or if we plan on hiring another international manager or go back to a MLS coach or former US international. I've seen the FC Dallas coach linked for quite some time. 

On 4/10/2018 at 1:39 PM, PAW said:

I know the game was a while ago, but was on vacation.  Watching that game really makes you wonder why some of the young guys weren't given chances much earlier when the veterans were playing like crap.  Now we get to watch Fox turn the World Cup into a Mexico love fest. 

I'm still convinced that Wondo had incriminating photos of Jurgen, like Jurgen holding some freshly-severed heads type of incriminating.

5 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

I think it is highly likely we wait until after the WC, there isn't really any incentive to do so before. 

I'd say it will be virtually impossible to get a manager of Conte's level to manage the US team. There were rumors Italy wanted him back and he turned them down, there is no reason he'd come to the US unfortunately. I'm not entirely sure what our plan is or if we plan on hiring another international manager or go back to a MLS coach or former US international. I've seen the FC Dallas coach linked for quite some time. 

El Generalito (sorry, I'm refusing to call Pareja "Papi" on principal) wouldn't be a bad signing to be honest.  Not sure if there's a lot of long-term legs to it past 2022, but in terms of laying a much-needed foundation and skeleton for another manager.

12 hours ago, The LBC said:

El Generalito (sorry, I'm refusing to call Pareja "Papi" on principal) wouldn't be a bad signing to be honest.  Not sure if there's a lot of long-term legs to it past 2022, but in terms of laying a much-needed foundation and skeleton for another manager.

Yeah I agree its maybe a limited appointment but could be a could way to get us set on the right trajectory. I have a feeling the international manager option is out the window, whether right or wrong. I think they want to appoint someone in or around the MLS or national team although, quite frankly, there are very few decent options there.

6 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Yeah I agree its maybe a limited appointment but could be a could way to get us set on the right trajectory. I have a feeling the international manager option is out the window, whether right or wrong. I think they want to appoint someone in or around the MLS or national team although, quite frankly, there are very few decent options there.

With that in mind, on sheer caliber (at least my belief of the caliber) of manager, Martino would still be my first choice because I have a lot of belief in that Bielsa system and in its ability to succeed on the international stage.  My worry had always been that I didn't know where a decent chunk of our personnel fit into that, but if we're embracing the youth movement and development, the talent there are still malleable enough to grow into the system rather than trying to fit square pegs in round holes or having to make compromises in the system to accommodate players who aren't great fits for it.