LeeEvans

USMNT Thread: Wandering in the Wilderness

On 11/17/2018 at 1:36 PM, amac said:

I'm pretty confused as to how Berhalter became the leading candidate.

Because US Soccer wants to prove that the MLS is just as good as the rest of the world's leagues and thus coaching there is a great thing.

Plus, they kind of hamstrung themselves by hiring Ernie Stewart to be the GM and thus making the job significantly less appealing to international managers.

Then they decided Tata Marino wasn't good enough or couldn't coach the USMNT because he spoke Spanish (how he managed to coach Atlanta United? obviously, magic).

After that, it was kind of slim pickings.

On 11/17/2018 at 1:36 PM, amac said:

I'm pretty confused as to how Berhalter became the leading candidate.

The USSF is just a good old boy's network and always will be... I mean, the USSF's chief commercial officer is literally Greg Berhalter's brother. 

I think Christian Pulisic is overrated. Good talent but atm I have Jadon Sancho, Vinicius Jr, Reiss Nelson and Leroy Sane ahead in terms of U21 wingers with more potential. I get the reason Chelsea or Liverpool wanting to get him though because America brand is serious

Looks like it’s Berhalter. I think he’s gotten a lot out of mediocre Crew teams. 

23 hours ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Looks like it’s Berhalter. I think he’s gotten a lot out of mediocre Crew teams. 

What a completely SHOCKING turn of events. 9_9

The whole process was a sham and the entire Federation should be mocked, but that doesn't change the fact that Berhalter is a good choice. He knows how to get a lot out of a group without tons of talent, and knows the US system. 

17 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

The whole process was a sham and the entire Federation should be mocked, but that doesn't change the fact that Berhalter is a good choice. He knows how to get a lot out of a group without tons of talent, and knows the US system. 

He's probably the best they could have gotten given the shambolic nature of the process.

On 12/5/2018 at 5:30 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Hires like this are the reason every team needs a fanbase capable of a #VolTwitter revolution. Shameful.

Except Berhalter is a pretty good hire?