USMNT Thread: Wandering in the Wilderness

LeeEvans

13 hours ago, Woz said:

For the record, I agree with you here. They should try to be a Double AA affiliate for the European leagues (the AAA's are going to be your Championship, Ligue 2, etc.).

I don't think one or two random guys coming at the end of their careers to get one last paycheck is really going to move the needle all that much for the MLS in the long term.

Honestly I think MLS is on a pretty good path. Signing retiring players is less and less of a go to and signing South American players who are younger and good on the ball is a good path. I think we're also starting to see MLS academies pay off and bring through young talent. 

It's never going to be a top league in the world but I think it's on a better path than it was during the Beckham years.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:03 AM, LeeEvans said:

Honestly I think MLS is on a pretty good path. Signing retiring players is less and less of a go to and signing South American players who are younger and good on the ball is a good path. I think we're also starting to see MLS academies pay off and bring through young talent. 

It's never going to be a top league in the world but I think it's on a better path than it was during the Beckham years.

Atlanta coming in and bringing Almiron, Josef Martinez, Villalba, Barco and Pity Martinez completely changed the MLS landscape. I think there is still a lot of value to bringing in the older stars, but the league also has gained enough respect that younger players see it as a real opportunity.

Peter Vermes thinks Ronaldo and Messi are both going to come to Miami to play together in a few years.. Can you imagine the worldwide hype if those two are playing together on a team owned by David Beckham, in Miami? 

I think one huge positive for the growth of the national team pool has been the rise of USL and other lower leagues  in recent years. I can't speak for every area, but here in Genesee County MI (Flint) basically every youth club has an affiliation with a "pro" team like Flint City Bucks, Detroit City, Ann Arbor AFC etc. Its a small step but I think we should start seeing it have a larger impact on our talent pool in the coming years.

On 6/13/2019 at 11:03 AM, Heimdallr said:

Atlanta coming in and bringing Almiron, Josef Martinez, Villalba, Barco and Pity Martinez completely changed the MLS landscape. I think there is still a lot of value to bringing in the older stars, but the league also has gained enough respect that younger players see it as a real opportunity.

Peter Vermes thinks Ronaldo and Messi are both going to come to Miami to play together in a few years.. Can you imagine the worldwide hype if those two are playing together on a team owned by David Beckham, in Miami? 

Didn't Ronny say when he can't compete in Serie A, he's going to hang em up and won't go to a retirement league?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That commercial for the Dwayne Johnson & Jason Statham movie is so dumb. Are we really supposed to buy into these guys being "elite fighters" lol? Old dopes living off the TRT. I know Jason has worked with Renzo, but a high school wrestler could have their way with ol' Rock there. It would be nice for some new action stars to emerge. 

That's basically all I took away from the USMNT performance.....

Berhalter is due some criticism for his subs and for his squad (I was fine, for the most part, with the starting XI) selection.  Gyasi Zardes and his woeful first touch should not regularly be the 1st or 2nd sub off the bench, particularly when you've got access to the likes of Sargent or Weah.  I remain unconvinced on Miazga.  This makes two consecutive matches where his passivity has led to us being scored upon.

We bottled that match like it was our purpose.  First half made it clear the game was there for the taking, Mexico came out at the start of the first half and punch us in the face, and we rolled over and took it.  Cannon and Long showed out well tonight, just, like I said, I'm not seeing Miazga as a proper partner for Long.