USMNT Thread: Wandering in the Wilderness

LeeEvans

Some day, in the future, we'll have a team that can actually pass the ball into open space to where the teammate is going instead of where they are, forcing them to hold up to receive.

Some day ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No real surprises on the roster except Roldan, and Wondo :S

Could make a case for Chandler over Lichaj though I've never really cared for him. Also think Rowe and Dwyer made a case in the GC

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest), Tim Ream (Fulham), Jorge Villafana (Santos Laguna), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Midfielders: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (Hamburg)

Edited by amac

I don't think Chandler ever gets a USMNT call under Arena. I'd honestly be a bit surprised if he ever gets a call again. I heard on the Total Soccer Show that Rowe has a knock so that's probably why he didn't get called in. I doubt Wondo makes the matchday 23 for either game. Roldan's versatility helps him a bit, he'll probably be in the squad against Honduras. There's just no real surprises here. Prediction for an XI against CRC:

Howard

Zusi (plz kill me)/Cameron/Besler/Villafana

Bradley

Johnson-Pulisic-Nagbe

Altidore/Wood

12 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

It's amazing to me how our fullback situation has been a disaster for basically a decade. I'd say that is a very likely starting XI though. 

If Yedlin is healthy it's really not bad. The depth at RB is a mess though.

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

Yeah Yedlin has been the best option since Cherundolo probably . LB has always been the worse of the two though. 

Yeah, I like Villafana well enough. He's good at overlapping and playing one-twos with Nagbe, but defensively, he leaves a lot to be desired. Thing is, we don't even have any young LBs that are exciting. Beasley gonna play til he's eighty.

Just now, rcon14 said:

Yeah, I like Villafana well enough. He's good at overlapping and playing one-twos with Nagbe, but defensively, he leaves a lot to be desired. Thing is, we don't even have any young LBs that are exciting. Beasley gonna play til he's eighty.

Totally agree. He's an average player at best on the international level but we don't really have any other options and he's been better that most of the crap that has been trotted out there for a long time. I like Villafana against the lower CONCACAF teams but the bigger national teams are going to eat him alive. The only option that is an improvement is Johnson though and they have, rightly, decided to play him where he is best.