USMNT Thread: Wandering in the Wilderness

LeeEvans

• 1 year later...

Great win for a team that has a lot of room(and absolute need) for improvements. 

Interesting day for young Reyna who got the goal and a bottle to the head....

And Horvath,.. wow. What a day and moment for him.

Edited by DreamKid

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

The AO definitely has a lot of issues, but c'mon man, you know what I'm talking about. Even the Mexican players were sick of it last night and telling the fans to shut up and sit down. 

I don’t disagree. The chant is problematic  and stupid and needs to be banned. Anyone who throws things at players needs to be thrown out of the stadium and charged/

8 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I don’t disagree. The chant is problematic  and stupid and needs to be banned. Anyone who throws things at players needs to be thrown out of the stadium and charged/

Definitely - I imagine a bunch of people are gonna get lifetime bans after this game, and whoever hit Reyna and Martin should get assault charges.

• 1 month later...

Turner, Acosta, and Robinson need to be starters moving forward for World Cup qualifying. Now if only one of the strikers would really break through we would really be cooking.

I can't wait to see the #1 back together with all this new confidence from both Nations League and Gold Cup. 

Acosta does NOT need to be starting for the full USMNT.   He can sit behind McKennie and Tyler Adams and fill in as needed (especially during Adams' injury breaks).   Great with him playing over the likes of Yueill and being a selection for the qualifications but he shouldn't be top of the pecking order.  He had a great final game, his box-to-box work rate is tremendous, but he had some train wrecks earlier in the Gold Cup and really struggled in some friendlies.   Nice piece to have, as in a typical system he can capably play the 2, 3, 6 or 8 and the team needs some versatile players.  There are better starting players at each spot though imo.

Turner had a fantastic tournament, but he's competing with Steffen AND Horvath and imo he's behind both of them.    It wasn't that long ago Horvath was the hero against Mexico in the Nations League Final, but listening to Lalas's in-the-moment commentary, I think people have already forgotten that performance.....to be fair, it was almost 2 months ago.  Great place to be for the USMNT having those three to choose from.    He's definitely made it a tough choice and it's hard to go wrong.  Been awhile since I've been so confident in the depth at GK.

I can get on board with Robinson being a first choice back.    US hasn't found a really consistent choice outside of Brooks for any of the defensive positions.   Would be happy if he stakes a claim to a spot, someone needs to step up and do so.  Dest is a real wild card - he's so talented, maybe too good not to play, but he puts a strain on what the other defenders have to do to cover for his deficiencies

On 8/2/2021 at 10:40 AM, Kampfgeist said:

Acosta does NOT need to be starting for the full USMNT.   He can sit behind McKennie and Tyler Adams and fill in as needed (especially during Adams' injury breaks).   Great with him playing over the likes of Yueill and being a selection for the qualifications but he shouldn't be top of the pecking order.  He had a great final game, his box-to-box work rate is tremendous, but he had some train wrecks earlier in the Gold Cup and really struggled in some friendlies.   Nice piece to have, as in a typical system he can capably play the 2, 3, 6 or 8 and the team needs some versatile players.  There are better starting players at each spot though imo.

Turner had a fantastic tournament, but he's competing with Steffen AND Horvath and imo he's behind both of them.    It wasn't that long ago Horvath was the hero against Mexico in the Nations League Final, but listening to Lalas's in-the-moment commentary, I think people have already forgotten that performance.....to be fair, it was almost 2 months ago.  Great place to be for the USMNT having those three to choose from.    He's definitely made it a tough choice and it's hard to go wrong.  Been awhile since I've been so confident in the depth at GK.

I can get on board with Robinson being a first choice back.    US hasn't found a really consistent choice outside of Brooks for any of the defensive positions.   Would be happy if he stakes a claim to a spot, someone needs to step up and do so.  Dest is a real wild card - he's so talented, maybe too good not to play, but he puts a strain on what the other defenders have to do to cover for his deficiencies

I've always felt Adams is a little overrated, and would start Acosta over him based on recent form, but wouldn't be mad if Adams started either. Ideally I'd run a midfield with all 3 of them.

Horvath had a truly special performance in the Nation's League final, but it was one game. He looks to be like a very good keeper, but still the easy #3 for me. Turner has been an absolute wall for the last year and half. For Olympic qualifying I want a keeper that plays every week, and has been consistently excellent. Neither Horvath nor Steffen have player much recently. I think Steffen has more potential and is a better player with his feet, but Turner is just a wall. 

Obviously Turner's recent performance doesn't leave much room to argue.    I don't have a dog in the fight so if Turner can run with the job I'm good.   I think Steffen would be the unquestioned top keeper in the MLS if he was playing domestically and not at one of the top clubs in the world (albeit as their #2).   

Really not a fan of Acosta with the exception of his Gold Cup finals performance.    If it hadn't been that performance I'd be happy if he was relegated to injury call-up.

6 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I only sparingly keep up with the USMNT, but is this the most talented generation in the history of the sport for the US? I'm trying to get into it more and more and seems every time I log into r/ussoccer there's a thread of another American or MLS academy player moving to Europe. 

Y’all literally say that every 10 years…and somehow achieve less