USMNT Thread: Wandering in the Wilderness

LeeEvans

On 8/8/2021 at 2:30 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I only sparingly keep up with the USMNT, but is this the most talented generation in the history of the sport for the US? I'm trying to get into it more and more and seems every time I log into r/ussoccer there's a thread of another American or MLS academy player moving to Europe. 

Except it isn't just a random generation. It is a new era and only going to get better.

We've literally never had this many players overseas playing and contributing for the top Clubs in the world.  Chelsea, Manchester City, Barcelona, Juventus, Dortmund..............................Norwich

You've never heard or seen that before.

Fifa has now moved the USMNT to #10 in the rankings - 1 spot behind Mexico

• 3 weeks later...

Well, thanks to a critical win over Honduras and a somewhat unexpected draw by Mexico against Panama, US is back in the qualification space in 3rd (only the head-to-head away goal in the Canada game splitting the US and the Canadians).

So, one window and three games down, table looks like this:

W  D  L  GF  GA  GD  PTS
MEX  2  1  0  4   2   +2   7
CAN  1  2  0  5   2   +3   5
USA  1  2  0  5   2   +3   5
----------------------------
PAN  1  2  0  4   1   +3   5
----------------------------
CRC  0  2  1  1   2   -1   2
HON  0  2  1  2   5   -3   2
SLV  0  2  1  0   3   -3   2
JAM  0  1  2  2   6   -4   1

So, things don't look as dire as they did even four days ago. Still, it would be nicer had they had gotten at least another win (especially since El Salvador hasn't scored a goal yet). But it is what it is.

Next window

• Oct 7 - home versus Jamaica
  • Oct 10 - at Panama
  • Oct 13 - home versus Costa Rica

What do you all think?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So they got thwacked by Japan, and now on to Saudi Arabia. Given that's all the tune up they have between now and the WC, I think I would be more on a 3rd or 4th place finish in the group. Shouldn't be that way (the young talent looks solid), but it just doesn't seem to gel.

• 2 months later...

I'm really sick of the lack of innovation by Berhalter. We clearly don't have a capable striker yet we stick with this same system that is completely toothless. Just do something different. Put Aaronson up there as a false-9 and just let him press like a maniac and draw defenders out of position. Or try Weah/Gio up top. Or switch to a 2-striker system and let Weah and Pulisic run into the channels. Do something.

Tyler Adams has been singlehandedly keeping this team alive for about a year now.

• Like 2

USA wins Gold Cup

USA wins Nations League

USA qualifies for WC R16

a MLS team wins CCL

MLS wins the MLS vs Liga MX All Star game

The growth over the next 4 years leading up to the 2024 WC is going to be great for American soccer. 

Really rough year+ for Mexico. They also failed to qualify for the U20 WC and the 2024 Olympics so their youth pipeline is not looking good either. USAT is the top of CONCACAF, and I don't see that changing in the next 10+ years.

We'll see how CCL and League's Cup go next year, but I'd say MLS has also surpassed Liga MX. MLS growth over the last 5 years has been incredible. 

• Like 1