From "The Guy of the Guy"

KingTitan

1 minute ago, tntitans4life17 said:

Any chance this interview is coming from AAS as a courtesy to Schwartz type of thing? I know that the firing of Mularkey and everything this week points to AAS being not as involved, but maybe she is doing Schwartz a favor giving him a HC interview?

Wait, has it been confirmed that he is getting an interview? 

2 minutes ago, tntitans4life17 said:

Any chance this interview is coming from AAS as a courtesy to Schwartz type of thing? I know that the firing of Mularkey and everything this week points to AAS being not as involved, but maybe she is doing Schwartz a favor giving him a HC interview?

That would be appalling. APPALLING.

I don't think that's the case. I think Schwartz has been more media assumptions than anything substantial 

• Like 2

Absolutely no to Jim Schwartz. He's in line with the Mularkey's of the world, stuck in his system and won't adapt.

I'm not sold on Vrabel (jesus I feel old when a guy who I watched playing is now a legit HC candidate) but if he's able to adapt and allow his coordinators room to work, I can handle a CEO type of HC. As long as he can find the right OC to come in every 2-3 years (since our OCs will be so great they get HC gigs), I can live with that.

• Like 1

Just now, deeluxx3 said:

That would be appalling. APPALLING.

I don't think that's the case. I think Schwartz has been more media assumptions than anything substantial 

I really hope that's all it is. Media trying to put a square peg into a round hole with an ex-coordinator here who wants another shot as a HC.

30 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Also, I personally think that Robinson is waiting for the games on Sunday to interview anyone else.

The 3 Eagles guys, Patriot guys and maybe Edwards from Vikings.  I think he calls in one or two of those guys and then that's it. Whoever wins, won't be in consideration. I don't think he waits till after super bowl to hire a guy. 

I think Vrabel is the leader, but come be beaten out by either of the Eagles 3 and one of the Patriots.

I have the same feelings as well. If he was going to interview anyone who wasn't coaching this weekend, those would be lined up already. He is waiting for a few guys to become available and go from there is how it seems from the outside.

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I got a text late last night/early this morning....Been sitting on it most of the day because I feel some type of way passing some of it along, just because i have no idea how accurate it is. Even though he has had some success with his info, also some misses.

Well take it for what it's worth....stuff from a guy of a guy....

Summarizing from The Guy of The Guy:

The overall thing is that Vrabel fit in like a glove. Wilks was a great guy. The feeling is Wilks' staff would be a more traditional staff, while Vrabel would mix with college and Pro coaches. 

Vrabel was very personable. Charismatic and appeared as a sincere and genuine person.
Wilks also very personable, but didn't have the same feel as Vrabel. (Maybe interview fatigue?)

The feeling is the meeting with Vrabel was almost natural. They didn't appear to talk like one was interviewing, more like catching up and brainstorming (at least what was visible)  Robinson and Vrabel are thinking exactly the same. From the way they want to gameplan to the the type of football players they want. 
Said it was weird. Wilks overall is a great candidate and had just as many positives as Vrabel but Vrabel just felt like a fit, culture wise and building wise.

Sidenote: Murmurs about luring Lafleur here as an OC. 

As always take it as entertaining rumor...not the gospel. 

Dude!!!  Am I the guy of the guy without even knowing it.  The Vrabel fit is exactly what I was talking about in another thread asking why I had Vrabel as my top guy.  It's almost like Vrabel is an exact extension of JRob in everything football and Titans. 

I've been super excited about the prospect of bringing him in... I really think he has the qualities to be the next great coach in the NFL... someone more like Carroll than Belichick, but still great.  

The thought of Haley coming with him scares me... I just need a more drastic change when it comes to Mariota's next step.  Is it just the Pitt connection blinding me... but what is the difference between Mularkey and Haley's philosophies?  

I've also mentioned LaFleur as a great OC fit... but with a harder path than Flip. We would definitely need to offer him the chance to not only call plays, but we'd probably have to give him the Assistant Head Coach title.  The scariest thing about LaFleur is that he may be 1 or 2 and done.  If he does what we think he can do with Mariota, he'll be one of the hottest HC names as early as next year.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Minnesota (Corey Davis old Head coach) so maybe guys from there

Bringing in PJ Fleck would excite me so much. I am a Western Alum. He completely changed that team around in his time there. His first year was a dumpster fire, but I think some of that was the DRASTIC culture change. Our team and fans would swear and chant all sorts of mean and ruthless things before he came along. Then he brought it Row the boat mantra and turned it around. 1st year I believe he had 1 win. His final year he went undefeated. Doubt we have any positions to offer him to where he would leave Minnesota though.

16 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I've also mentioned LaFleur as a great OC fit... but with a harder path than Flip. We would definitely need to offer him the chance to not only call plays, but we'd probably have to give him the Assistant Head Coach title.  The scariest thing about LaFleur is that he may be 1 or 2 and done.  If he does what we think he can do with Mariota, he'll be one of the hottest HC names as early as next year.  

that's part of why i think kubiak would be an incredible choice, provided vrabel can swing it (which would be a pretty big task, given his cushy gig in denver).

it seems that the buzz around vrabel is that he could pluck a college guy for OC too, which i wouldn't hate- or perhaps the ideal scenario is lafleur plus a top-flight college QB coach who can take over as OC when lafleur bolts.

so many possibilities.....

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheMonarch1110 said:

Now all this talk about Minnesota speculation and plucking a college coach for OC has me hoping for PJ Fleck as a dumb homer. haha

Lol yeah I would say that's an 0%chance of happening.  But getting their QB Coach, Wr coach or anyone on their staff would be a possibility. If we spitballin

48 minutes ago, TheMonarch1110 said:

Bringing in PJ Fleck would excite me so much. I am a Western Alum. He completely changed that team around in his time there. His first year was a dumpster fire, but I think some of that was the DRASTIC culture change. Our team and fans would swear and chant all sorts of mean and ruthless things before he came along. Then he brought it Row the boat mantra and turned it around. 1st year I believe he had 1 win. His final year he went undefeated. Doubt we have any positions to offer him to where he would leave Minnesota though.

i once got blacked out drunk in K-Zoo and bought myself a hotel room at the Raddison, even though I was staying with a buddy who went to WMU

moral of the story? go broncos!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Kuharsky had a post today about just that, I think Hutton brought it up but it's good food for thought. However if we have to find a new OC every 2-3 years (and retain Vrabel/Wilks/whoever) that means things are going well. 

Regarding potentially losing our OC in a year or 2, I'll just repost what I put a couple days ago.

It'd suck to lose our OC but if it were to happen that means 2 things more than likely happen. 1)We had a successful season as a team and 2)Marcus had a very good season.

If you look at the recent successful, next big thing OCs that became head coaches you'll find the team and QB success as a common theme. Here's the quick list some of the recent ones last year as coordinator...

Matt Nagy (KC)-10-6 record/Alex Smith-67% comp, 4042 yards, 26 TDs, 5 INTs

Kyle Shanahan(ATL)-11-5 record/Matt Ryan-70% comp, 4944 yards, 38 TDs, 7 INTs

Sean McVay(WAS)-8-7-1 record/Kirk Cousins-67% comp, 4917 yards, 25 TDs, 12 INTs

Hue Jackson(CIN)-12-4 record/Andy Dalton/AJ McCarron-66% comp, 4104 yarda, 31 TDs, 9 INTs

Adam Gase(CHI)-6-10 record/Jay Cutler-64% comp, 3659 yards, 21 TDs, 11 INTs

I could keep going but I think everyone gets it at this point. It's not ideal losing a OC early but if it means a big year for the team and Mariota and the offense, I think we'd all take that. So if Vrabel or Wilks (or any defensive coach) means getting Flip or LaFleur (or any young innovative OC) but losing them in a year or 2 after a successful season, that's a risk I'm personally willing to take.

Also there's no guarantee that the OC would leave after a year or 2 anyway. We're going on year 4 of Jim Bob Cooter in Detriot and Darrell Bevell (who was the young, hot start OC at one point) never got a HC gig after 7 years in Seattle.

• Like 1