From "The Guy of the Guy"

KingTitan

8 minutes ago, Airness McNairness said:

CJ2K wasn't a "need" in 08 but adding him to the offense and team to another level. the draft aint about need. its your annual chance to upgrade your roster with the best players. at any position, regardless of need.

We cannot keep neglecting our DL, though, and keep drafting WRs when we want to run the ball 30+ times a game

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

We cannot keep neglecting our DL, though, and keep drafting WRs when we want to run the ball 30+ times a game

good point. I just think we have to get more dynamic on offense. plenty of depth in the middle rounds for dline help.. just looking at the rankings. top 10 defense vs bottom ten offense. we gotta get some help on that side of the ball. our wr outside of davis and hump are all back up guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airness McNairness said:

good point. I just think we have to get more dynamic on offense. plenty of depth in the middle rounds for dline help.. just looking at the rankings. top 10 defense vs bottom ten offense. we gotta get some help on that side of the ball. our wr outside of davis and hump are all back up guys.

I don't disagree at all, I just am at the point where I'm not ever going to assume that we're ever going to evolve on offense. Injuries aside, last year was supposed to be "the year" we entered the 21st century and quit playing like it's 1972. I just don't see it ever happening. More 3 TE sets on the way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

To his point, at the time we were neglecting our wr spot and we took a RB. 

CJ2K took us to a new level and gave us a star worth watching. 

If Brown can do some of that, we can still get good prospects in the 2nd or 3rd in this draft. (Say the experts). Lol

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

To his point, at the time we were neglecting our wr spot and we took a RB. 

CJ2K took us to a new level and gave us a star worth watching. 

If Brown can do some of that, we can still get good prospects in the 2nd or 3rd in this draft. (Say the experts). Lol

I get it, but CJ2K was a RB and not a WR.

We drafted an animal at WR #5 overall and still don't make him part of our weekly gameplans. It's idiotic. Obviously Corey isn't Julio, but imagine if Atlanta didn't make it a point to get Julio involved early and often every game.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/receiving-targeted

Corey was the 29th most targeted player last year. Look at the names above and below him...a couple outliers but for a #1 receiver that we drafted 5 overall it's absolutely asinine. But again, this is the team we want to be on offense. Even if there's no reasoning behind it.

run run run run run run run

edit - even more damning is that we only have 2 players in the top 100 of targets. The other is Dion at 96th. what kind of team does that?

Edited by deeluxx3
more embarrassing stats

3 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/receiving-targeted

Corey was the 29th most targeted player last year. Look at the names above and below him...a couple outliers but for a #1 receiver that we drafted 5 overall it's absolutely asinine. But again, this is the team we want to be on offense. Even if there's no reasoning behind it.

run run run run run run run

edit - even more damning is that we only have 2 players in the top 100 of targets. The other is Dion at 96th. what kind of team does that?

I feel where you're coming from but I dont think the titans weren't  getting him involved on purpose this year. you gotta remember, with delanie out, who else was the defense gonna key on? from what I remember hearing throughout the year was that opposing defenses would essentially take CD out of the game and force the likes of Sharpe, Taylor, and Smith to beat them. You can't force the ball to any guy in this league if he's consistently double covered. wasn't like they were not throwing him the ball and he was singled up all the time. if the receiving core stays healthy and especially if we get another high end receiver, you watch CD have a HUGE year 3 breakout . Im talking the way Kenny Britt came out in year 3 before he blew out that knee. 

Edited by Airness McNairness

1 hour ago, Airness McNairness said:

I feel where you're coming from but I dont think the titans weren't  getting him involved on purpose this year. you gotta remember, with delanie out, who else was the defense gonna key on? from what I remember hearing throughout the year was that opposing defenses would essentially take CD out of the game and force the likes of Sharpe, Taylor, and Smith to beat them. You can't force the ball to any guy in this league if he's consistently double covered. wasn't like they were not throwing him the ball and he was singled up all the time. if the receiving core stays healthy and especially if we get another high end receiver, you watch CD have a HUGE year 3 breakout . Im talking the way Kenny Britt came out in year 3 before he blew out that knee. 

I hear ya, but I don't think defenses were doubling Corey. Obviously I'm only going off the game film, but it's not like we were reading about consistent double teams on Corey as the season went on.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what it ladders up to is our just perpetual ineptitude on offense. As much as we try and be this physical running team, we don't stick to any sort of script on a week by week basis. We try and get cute and it ends up being disjointed. It's like we're a rock band but have no bass line in the back bringing it all together and keeping the beat.

This results in guys like Davis flashing huge in one week when we prioritize getting him the ball, and then disappearing the next because that week we decided to run the ball. You have to make it a point to get your most talented players the ball...every other team does it. You know McCaffery is getting 20+ touches every game, you know Julio is going to get 10 targets, you know Gurley is going to get fed the ball. Again, not saying Corey is on that level, but he's definitely our most talented offensive player and has the potential to be an elite player. But, like Marcus, we aren't putting him in the position where THEY can make the most out of their talents.

And on that note about not putting people in position where they can make the most out of their talents, look no further than our refusal to give Henry the ball in short yardage situations before December of this year. It used to be Murray and then Dion, and then even Luke Stocker. Are you kidding me?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I hear ya, but I don't think defenses were doubling Corey. Obviously I'm only going off the game film, but it's not like we were reading about consistent double teams on Corey as the season went on.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what it ladders up to is our just perpetual ineptitude on offense. As much as we try and be this physical running team, we don't stick to any sort of script on a week by week basis. We try and get cute and it ends up being disjointed. It's like we're a rock band but have no bass line in the back bringing it all together and keeping the beat.

This results in guys like Davis flashing huge in one week when we prioritize getting him the ball, and then disappearing the next because that week we decided to run the ball. You have to make it a point to get your most talented players the ball...every other team does it. You know McCaffery is getting 20+ touches every game, you know Julio is going to get 10 targets, you know Gurley is going to get fed the ball. Again, not saying Corey is on that level, but he's definitely our most talented offensive player and has the potential to be an elite player. But, like Marcus, we aren't putting him in the position where THEY can make the most out of their talents.

And on that note about not putting people in position where they can make the most out of their talents, look no further than our refusal to give Henry the ball in short yardage situations before December of this year. It used to be Murray and then Dion, and then even Luke Stocker. Are you kidding me?

I completely agree with everything you've said @deeluxx3 we've agreed for years on our offense's ineptitude when it comes to Marcus and not putting the few explosive players we actually have in positions to succeed.  I'll preface this by saying I think addressing our front 7 should be the number one priority in the draft, but the closer we get to Thursday the more I'm tempted by the idea of trading back, stockpiling picks, and taking the guy that I think is the most explosive offensive player in this draft, Darrell Henderson.  If we're going to be a team that is dead set on the run why not grab a guy that is a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball?

We have to add some more speed and explosiveness to this offense. That's almost of equal importance to the pass rush in my mind.  Whether it be through a WR, a TE that we feel we can flex out to WR, or a RB with the explosiveness of Henderson we have to find more playmakers. I feel like Henderson won't be in play, because I feel like we're planning on riding Henry all year, but this is somewhat of a similar situation to when we took CJ. Lendale had just come off a 1000 yard season and everybody assumed that we were just going to keep rolling with him. Darrell Henderson is an offensive weapon and a guy that teams are eventually going to have to game plan for. With Derrick on the last year of his deal we could be more interested in the RBs than we realize.

I'm still all aboard the Ed Oliver (Doubtful at this point) or Brian Burns train though.  If we trade down and stockpile more picks I could be talked into a lot of the offensive weapons though.

Guy news:

The vibe is that the second round will have good depth at the offensive positions. WRs/ TEs and o linemen. 

Don't see them going WR at #19. A WR being able to play on the boundary is important trait they are looking for. 

Vrabel really liked Christan Wilkins. Will he be there at #19 though. Word is Wilkins is viewed as a top 10-15 pick. 

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Guy news:

The vibe is that the second round will have good depth at the offensive positions. WRs/ TEs and o linemen. 

Don't see them going WR at #19. A WR being able to play on the boundary is important trait they are looking for. 

Vrabel really liked Christan Wilkins. Will he be there at #19 though. Word is Wilkins is viewed as a top 10-15 pick. 

Tell the guy we appreciate that info 

• Like 3

It’s hard to let myself get excited about Wilkins cause I like him so much, but yet if he gets picked before us or if we get leap-frogged by another team who grabs him, I’ll be devastated. So I’m not going to “expect” anything, but sure as heck would would be the happiest guy on the planet if we could grab him.

My prediction: I think if someone in the 8-12 range takes him, I think JRob will look to move back. But, if he survives the 8-12 range, I think JRob will look to move up to grab him. 

If Jrob moves back, heck, I wouldn’t mind a move back to the early 2nd round (pick up a few picks). However, with that said, we do currently have a quality team and don’t truly need quantity. But on the flip side, we do have a lot of contracts due in the next 1-2 years so maybe we do need more quantity than it would appear?

what are yalls thoughts?

Edited by Mariota615TN