From "The Guy of the Guy"

KingTitan

7 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Part of me wonders what would of happened if we hired McDaniels instead of Mularkey to begin with?

Would we have had as much success? Less successful? Would Mariota already be among the best QBs in the league playing under him? How different would our drafts been? So many questions....

Yea I mean I was against it based off Denver, but he's kept his head down the past few years and gotten results. Maybe he has learned and is ready for a second chance. 

I'd be really surprised we make any kind of move at this point. It would take some kind of powerplay or Mularkey being fed up with AAS to even have that happen anytime soon. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Part of me wonders what would of happened if we hired McDaniels instead of Mularkey to begin with?

Would we have had as much success? Less successful? Would Mariota already be among the best QBs in the league playing under him? How different would our drafts been? So many questions....

If there's one thing I'll give Mularkey credit for, it's for coming in and providing some stability and identity in the locker room. He's the coach you hire to turn things around and get the mindset of the locker room in the right direction.

Then you bring in the coach who takes what the foundation was set up with, and takes it to the next level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

If there's one thing I'll give Mularkey credit for, it's for coming in and providing some stability and identity in the locker room. He's the coach you hire to turn things around and get the mindset of the locker room in the right direction.

Then you bring in the coach who takes what the foundation was set up with, and takes it to the next level.

I'm torn. It's clear Mularkey has the full support of the team and the love playing for him. That can't be understated.

However, the thought of Mariota in a Patriots style offense is so, so intriguing (even with my concerns about McDaniels).

I'm just hoping Mularkey realizes how well Mariota plays in the spread and changes things up next year.

52 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Out of blue text:

"McDaniels wants this job so bad." (Talking about Titans.) "He will settle for Detriot tho."

As always...rumor......but from "the guy of the guy"

He meant Biscuits' job... once Hoodie resigns or is fired, McDaniels will be allowed to sign as the new Titans' OC.  

Mularkey keeps the clubhouse... McDaniels gets the offense... 

Win... win...

1 minute ago, TitanSlim said:

I'm torn. It's clear Mularkey has the full support of the team and the love playing for him. That can't be understated.

However, the thought of Mariota in a Patriots style offense is so, so intriguing (even with my concerns about McDaniels).

I'm just hoping Mularkey realizes how well Mariota plays in the spread and changes things up next year.

The Patriots offense ran by former Patriots OCs at other locations has failed each time. Weis tried it in college, didn't work. McDaniels tried it with Broncos/Rams, didn't work. O'Brien is trying it in Houston, hasn't worked so far.

The Patriots offense works because the greatest QB to ever play the game is under center for them. It's a variation of the Erhardt-Perkins system. There's a list of teams in this article who have run the system as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Patriots_strategy

You wanna know the one thing the teams who have success with this offense have in common? One of the best QBs in football. Patriots with Brady, Steelers with Ben, Chargers with Rivers.

McDaniels, like O'Brien and Weis before him, are successful because of Brady(and in some cases incredible defenses built by Belichick in certain seasons that seriously helped out the O).

Could McDaniels have success running that system with Mariota? Potentially, because Mariota can be a good QB. However, McDaniels awful attitude and complete ineptitude in talent evaluation are not worth what success could come from pairing his offensive system with Mariota.

Let someone else try and strike out a 4th time with Patriots offensive assistants. I have no interest in doing it.

24 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

The Patriots offense ran by former Patriots OCs at other locations has failed each time. Weis tried it in college, didn't work. McDaniels tried it with Broncos/Rams, didn't work. O'Brien is trying it in Houston, hasn't worked so far.

The Patriots offense works because the greatest QB to ever play the game is under center for them. It's a variation of the Erhardt-Perkins system. There's a list of teams in this article who have run the system as well:

You wanna know the one thing the teams who have success with this offense have in common? One of the best QBs in football. Patriots with Brady, Steelers with Ben, Chargers with Rivers.

McDaniels, like O'Brien and Weis before him, are successful because of Brady(and in some cases incredible defenses built by Belichick in certain seasons that seriously helped out the O).

Could McDaniels have success running that system with Mariota? Potentially, because Mariota can be a good QB. However, McDaniels awful attitude and complete ineptitude in talent evaluation are not worth what success could come from pairing his offensive system with Mariota.

Let someone else try and strike out a 4th time with Patriots offensive assistants. I have no interest in doing it.

To play a bit of devil's advocate here. McDaniels has never had a QB and the offensive talent like he'd have here. Take a look back at the offensive talent on the Broncos and Rams. It's not pretty. As far as his talent evaluation skills, it's definitely a concern. However, I think that's where Jon Robinson steps in. Early on he's shown that his scouting and drafting is among his best skills. I, too have questions about his attitude. Having said that, people do change, learn and grow. Mularkey himself is different here than he was just 5 years ago in Jacksonville. He learned from the things that caused him to fail and you'd hope it's the same with McDaniels. I completely get those who want nothing to do with him though.

McDaniels has been discussed to death on here, so I don't want to derail another thread talking about he and Mularkey. Mularkey is our guy now and, it sounds like, moving forward.

44 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Or we could just bring in the right OC to run the offense. Allow Mularkey to take more of a CEO-type role, have a hand in the game planning and preparation but ultimately let someone else, preferably someone competent enough, to take care of the play calling.

Sure it has to start with him accepting that position and be cool with the thought of bringing a fresh offensive mind in to change things up a bit. But he already has let the offense evolve a bit making more use of the no-huddle. why not allow for the possibility that he might let the system evolve even more, if it's in the right guy's hands? Which of course would be an issue, the need to make the right hire.

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Out of blue text:

"McDaniels wants this job so bad." (Talking about Titans.) "He will settle for Detriot tho."

As always...rumor......but from "the guy of the guy"

Wonder if his agent is the one spreading rumors about Mularkey. Just never really believed AAS would fire him.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

i'm not a big mcdaniels fan, but this seems like an incomplete analysis. no offense is gonna work with tim tebow and the revolving door the texans have had. the texans offense seemed like it was working just fine under deshaun watson. call mcdaniels an idiot for drafting tebow, sure, but i can't see that as an indictment of his scheme/playcalling ability.

• Like 1

Just now, -Hope- said:

i'm not a big mcdaniels fan, but this seems like an incomplete analysis. no offense is gonna work with tim tebow and the revolving door the texans have had. the texans offense seemed like it was working just fine under deshaun watson. call mcdaniels an idiot for drafting tebow, sure, but i can't see that as an indictment of his scheme/playcalling ability.

DeShaun Watson was running around and making plays outside of the script, they weren't successful because of O'Brien. Just go read the Texans forum for plenty of indepth reading on that subject.

I mean it's not just "McDaniels couldn't get it to work without Brady", it's that no one who has run this system has made it consistently work at a high level without a great QB.

There's literally nothing in the history of Pats assistants running this offense(or assistants in other places, really. I think the 3 best seasons in recent history using the system outside of named great QBs come from Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Cassel's one patriot and one Chief season).

For a genius offensive system it's sure lacking in genius results without QBs who could make any system work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

False oh okay weis was the OC the patriots weren’t a spread attack team, they where a more traditional modern NFL offense. When weis was the coordinator the patriots where winning Super Bowls with defense a strong running game. Corey Dillion, Kevin Faulk Antoin Smith.

when McDaniels became OC was when Brady manifested from your game manager Alex smith Caliber QB into the Goat that he is today. If you’re not a McDaniels fan keep it 100 & say he rubbed you the wrong way as HC of the Broncos. Facts McDaniels is a QB Guru & offensive genius, look what he did wit matt Cassel, jimmy garoppolo, jacoby Brisette.

you keep talking bout Bill O’Brien but you never answer the question, what QB has O’Brien had to work with until he got Watson ?. Okay now ask yourself what does an NFL offense looks like with bad QB play ??‍♂️ Cleveland Browns.

facts what did Bill O’Brien do when he got Watson ?.

Mcdaniels offense VS Charlie wise isn’t the same offense, only merit is NE.

44 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

False oh okay weis was the OC the patriots weren’t a spread attack team, they where a more traditional modern NFL offense. When weis was the coordinator the patriots where winning Super Bowls with defense a strong running game. Corey Dillion, Kevin Faulk Antoin Smith.

when McDaniels became OC was when Brady manifested from your game manager Alex smith Caliber QB into the Goat that he is today. If you’re not a McDaniels fan keep it 100 & say he rubbed you the wrong way as HC of the Broncos. Facts McDaniels is a QB Guru & offensive genius, look what he did wit matt Cassel, jimmy garoppolo, jacoby Brisette.

you keep talking bout Bill O’Brien but you never answer the question, what QB has O’Brien had to work with until he got Watson ?. Okay now ask yourself what does an NFL offense looks like with bad QB play ??‍♂️ Cleveland Browns.

facts what did Bill O’Brien do when he got Watson ?.

Mcdaniels offense VS Charlie wise isn’t the same offense, only merit is NE.

Then if you read the article you posted it clearly states that the offense Charlie Weis ran was a traditional run to setup the pass with the play action attack ? when Brady was a game manager & the pats weren’t spreading defenses out attacking through the air but relying on a strong run game, play action, & defense ?hmmm sounds like what TN wants Mariota to be 

Then the patriots went to up tempo spread out attack upon the arrival of Randy Moss & Weswelker & places emphasis on a wide open passing attack the josh McDaniel era give the man his props mane for once

Thanks for proving my point though 

note 07 McDaniels OC 

Edited by TitanRedd

5 hours ago, -Hope- said:

He’s not even stating facts 2 completely different offenses ??‍♂️? tell me when Charlie weis was OC Tom Brady was putting up big #S in the passing game or was even considered an elite QB, beady didn’t was a Super Bowl game manager smart & clutch QB. When josh McDaniels became OC in 2005 weis left in 03.