From "The Guy of the Guy"

KingTitan

28 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I've said this before and I'll say this again

our offense isn't changing until we have a franchise QB that forces the hand

but that does beg the question "how can we ever tell if we have a franchise QB if we force him to play in this offense"

here's the thing- we wouldn't have said this if art were still in charge. a run-heavy shanahan offense *can* be incredibly QB friendly! obviously SF itself is the best example. downing's horrendous playcalling is the problem.

Idk if I can take another year of downing.. I get the talent level isn’t there but his feel for the game is terrible and this isn’t he first time at OC abandoning the play action.

It’s kinda disheartening to knw that as long as we have Vrabel we’ll have this run first offense tho. I would have loved to have seen the offense Art is running in Atlanta here lol 

Edited by 615finest

Just now, 615finest said:

Idk if I can take another year of downing.. I get the talent level isn’t there but his feel for the game is terrible and this isn’t he first time at OC abandoning the play action.

Its kinda disheartening to knw that as long as we have Vrabel we’ll have this run first offense tho

Damn man. It will be really disheartening if Vrabel's demise will be just being stubborn about flexibility on the side of the ball he isn't known for commanding. He has some good fundamental thoughts on offense, but my worry is his inability to adapt may come to his fault. I get using the run, but making it the end all be all just aint the answer. Really love Vrabel, and I hope he can learn and grow. Just hope we can get a superbly talented qb that he just cant ignore. That is my hope.

The philosophy on offense works, but it needs to be heavy play action, and one thing I can’t fault Downing for is the drop in use of play action. You just cannot use heavy PA with the turnstiles we have a tackle. We need to fix the line and the offense will get back on track. 

Am I the only one that's genuinely starting to wonder if Vrabel is the guy to get us a Super Bowl? With stuff coming out about being married to "this offense" and the possibility of keeping Downing despite the atrocious playcalling that we've seen especially this year... None of this is inspiring a very high level of confidence in where we're heading in the short or long term.

The basis of this Shanahan offense can be very successful, but you need a creative offensive mind that is able to throw in multiple looks and adjust on the fly when things aren't working. Which is something this offensive staff has not shown the ability to do. So keeping that group in tact for another year and saying "we're good here." What message does that send?

I think Vrabel could be a Super Bowl winning coach, but if he can't put his ego aside enough to make changes on offense that need to be made, are we really any further along than we were with Mularkey at the helm?

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

nothing else matters if we keep downing. what a joke

24 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

here's the thing- we wouldn't have said this if art were still in charge. a run-heavy shanahan offense *can* be incredibly QB friendly! obviously SF itself is the best example. downing's horrendous playcalling is the problem.

This is my take as well.  There's nothing wrong with a run first, run heavy offense.  In fact, that kind of offense should be very favorable to Malik Willis, as it either means teams are gonna commit to stopping the run with a stacked box and receivers should be open, or they don't commit defenders to the box and Malik kills them with his legs.  But that doesn't mean we have to be insanely predictable.

And that's the problem.  The version of the offense we run is garbage.  Downing has failed as an OC before, so it's not shocking to see him failing again.  He makes every defense aware of what we're doing, abandons things that are working mid-game, and doesn't abandon things that aren't working.  He just does a bad all around job.

I don't think anyone is surprised that this is the kind of offense Vrabel wants to run (he was wearing a "Run the Damn Ball" hat at the draft), but I just don't understand why he would be married to this specific offense.  Because it's objectively terrible.

• Like 1

Another thing that lends to it being Vrabel's decision to play offense this way is last year. Losing Derrick. We didn't rely on Tannehill/Arthur/Julio more. We ran the ball just as much or more when Derrick was healthy.  
It's not about Derrick. 
If we trade Derrick tomorrow, we will find another back(s) that will run the ball. 

We've been through 2 QBs with Vrabel. Neither are guys you'd just light it up with, but he didn't change it up. Given the chance to move on from both Henry and especially Tannehill, they doubled down (for good reason after AFC Championship game).

I think even when presented with the chance to draft a QB, they'd select one they think would fit in their offense, opposed to drafting the best QB. 

And we've seen it be able to work and lead the league in scoring. However, you need so many things right for that to happen. 

Downing I don't believe has the feel to do it. He can maybe come up with a good plan, but calling the plays, he has a lack of feel and creativity. 

13 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

Am I the only one that's genuinely starting to wonder if Vrabel is the guy to get us a Super Bowl? With stuff coming out about being married to "this offense" and the possibility of keeping Downing despite the atrocious playcalling that we've seen especially this year... None of this is inspiring a very high level of confidence in where we're heading in the short or long term.

The basis of this Shanahan offense can be very successful, but you need a creative offensive mind that is able to throw in multiple looks and adjust on the fly when things aren't working. Which is something this offensive staff has not shown the ability to do. So keeping that group in tact for another year and saying "we're good here." What message does that send?

I think Vrabel could be a Super Bowl winning coach, but if he can't put his ego aside enough to make changes on offense that need to be made, are we really any further along than we were with Mularkey at the helm?

I want Vrabel coaching the titans forever at this point

but I await an opportunity to play in the playoffs w/o Ryan Tannehill as our QB 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Another thing that lends to it being Vrabel's decision to play offense this way is last year. Losing Derrick. We didn't rely on Tannehill/Arthur/Julio more. We ran the ball just as much or more when Derrick was healthy.  
It's not about Derrick. 
If we trade Derrick tomorrow, we will find another back(s) that will run the ball. 

We've been through 2 QBs with Vrabel. Neither are guys you'd just light it up with, but he didn't change it up. Given the chance to move on from both Henry and especially Tannehill, they doubled down (for good reason after AFC Championship game).

I think even when presented with the chance to draft a QB, they'd select one they think would fit in their offense, opposed to drafting the best QB. 

And we've seen it be able to work and lead the league in scoring. However, you need so many things right for that to happen. 

Downing I don't believe has the feel to do it. He can maybe come up with a good plan, but calling the plays, he has a lack of feel and creativity. 

See this right here is the overarching problem I see with this staff. They're so married to their scheme that they'd pass up the best available QB to take another guy simply because he fits their system better. I know this is all purely speculation, but I just think that's such a losing formula and one that is always going to hold us back. That's how you end up drafting Dez Fitzpatrick over Amon-Ra St. Brown.

• Like 1

At the same time, if you are trying to draft a guy that fits "what we are trying to do", I really don't think you draft Willis.

Not saying Willis will ever be anything for us, but I feel the thought of drafting of Willis for what he could be doesn't feed into the idea of what we are talking about in a Vrabel "Titans offense."

His skillset and ceiling lends to being a guy who creates off structure and can possibly push the ball down the field with his arm. Idk.

10 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

See this right here is the overarching problem I see with this staff. They're so married to their scheme that they'd pass up the best available QB to take another guy simply because he fits their system better. I know this is all purely speculation, but I just think that's such a losing formula and one that is always going to hold us back. That's how you end up drafting Dez Fitzpatrick over Amon-Ra St. Brown.

what proof to we have for this, tho? Malik pick says the opposite

But ultimately...we haven't been in a position where we're drafting high enough to really make a SERIOUS decision on a QB.

A real franchise QB changes everything. I struggle to think that if this team had the next Pat Mahomes staring them in the face they wouldn't draft him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deeluxx3 said:

what proof to we have for this, tho? Malik pick says the opposite

But ultimately...we haven't been in a position where we're drafting high enough to really make a SERIOUS decision on a QB.

A real franchise QB changes everything. I struggle to think that if this team had the next Pat Mahomes staring them in the face they wouldn't draft him.

Who knows if Malik ever turns into anything. For the record, I was one of the biggest advocates for drafting him because I felt like he could give our offense another element that we're desperately lacking, and I think there's a lot of special traits to work with there. My biggest worry though is that this "offensive system" will never give Malik the best opportunity to succeed. We'll always be trying to fit Malik into our system instead of letting Malik be Malik and building an offense around his skillset similar to what the Ravens did with Lamar when they switched over from Flacco.

All of this talk is purely speculation though, and we won't get a good picture of where we're at until the new GM comes in here, and we hopefully get something resembling an NFL caliber OLine and WR corp. Until then it's going to be really hard to evaluate anything. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

If this is true, this is the most asinine thing in the world. Ultra tone def. Add the best players you can.

Again, that just me thinking. 
If they had to choose between Caleb Williams or Will Levis (I'm not a fan of Williams) but they'd take Levis probably. 
I literally can't see a QB like Williams working with Vrabel. He'd lose his mind! lol 
Running around playing off script.