From "The Guy of the Guy"

KingTitan

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

Get ready I been telling you guys this day one this man is Jeff fisher 2.0 he stuck in his ways & has an ego but he gets away with his stubbornness due to being a players coach. Players nor coaches will reach their potential because of vrabel holding them back 

skeptical.gif

i know the shanahan comparisons must be getting old but this is the exact sort of thing that happens far too infrequently under downing. defenses are never confused, never on their heels playing against us. it’s exceedingly rare that we’ll confuse a defense enough that they bust a coverage deep or something. the closest thing i’ve seen to that was the Green Bay game (truly drowning’s swan song lol) when we threw it up to treylon late and absolutely nobody saw it coming, but even that was more situational than scheme putting legit stress on the defense. 

(fwiw, i don’t think art was *incredible* at this either, but you at least occasionally saw some strokes of genius with the way we used guys like jonnu. art’s strength was more just finding something that worked and spamming it to death, which sounds derogatory but isn’t at all- there’s something to be said for that, especially since he has continued to do in atlanta and since downing has proved completely incapable of doing so lol)

Edited by -Hope-

• 4 weeks later...

THE GUY: 
As always treat as rumor (especially since he isn't in the building.)

Ultimately the 7 game skid, someone had to fall. Downing was the head that must roll. Vrabel really didn't blame it all on him. But recognized that his unit failed to produce, so accountability had to happen. The DUI was the coffin, nail and shovel. 

Tim Kelly is favorite, but Vrabel will talk around.

The biggest thing he gave me.  Tannehill is penciled in as QB1. But they will not ignore the QB landscape. If something presents itself via trade or draft, they won't hesitate.  A lot rides on the GM, but initial feeling is running it back with Tannehill.  Money is a factor. Like him a cheaper cap number, so that view could change quickly if he isn't willing to work with the team. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

THE GUY: 

Ultimately the 7 game skid, someone had to fall. Downing was the head that must roll. Vrabel really didn't blame it all on him. But recognized that his unit failed to produce, so accountability had to happen. The DUI was the coffin, nail and shovel. 

The biggest thing he gave me.  Tannehill is penciled in as QB1. But they will not ignore the QB landscape. If something presents itself via trade or draft, they won't hesitate.  A lot rides on the GM, but initial feeling is running it back with Tannehill.  Money is a factor. Like him a cheaper cap number, so that view could change quickly if he isn't willing to work with the team. 

i hate everything about this!

(well, not everything. but a good amount)

Edited by deeluxx3
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

THE GUY: 

none of this is surprising but it makes it even more annoying that we didn't get rid of downing after the DUI and give tim kelly a trial run. would be a very underwhelming hire, but that's the titans for ya

tannehill being back ideally at a cheaper number is probably our best option. i don't love it any more than yall do but if the staff isn't actively trying to tank it's their best move. good that they're keeping their options open tho.

Edited by -Hope-

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

none of this is surprising but it makes it even more annoying that we didn't get rid of downing after the DUI and give tim kelly a trial run. would be a very underwhelming hire, but that's the titans for ya

I didn't like the 'Look around part." 
However, I am thinking if Tim Kelly was say on the Panthers and they were the 12-18th ranked offense. Would we be ok then?

In my mind basically he was redshirted until now. lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I didn't like the 'Look around part." 
However, I am thinking if Tim Kelly was say on the Panthers and they were the 12-18th ranked offense. Would we be ok then?

In my mind basically he was redshirted until now. lol

if tim kelly wasnt on this current staff and we hired him this offseason, i think we'd all be like "ok, not bad"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

if tim kelly wasnt on this current staff and we hired him this offseason, i think we'd all be like "ok, not bad"

yeah, that's fair. i guess one interesting thing to note is that kelly is very much not of the shanahan tree and is a bill o'brien guy through and through, going all the way back to penn state. so i wonder whether our passing concepts might look different. but that sort of raises the question of....what was he doing as our passing game coordinator this year lmao. that's kind of why it feels meh, imo. on the other hand, iirc we actually did start off the season while ppl were healthy with a higher rate of explosive passing plays, it just suffered due to being married to downing's godawful playcalling. so we'll see i suppose...

I hate everything about that rumor because if true, it confirms the worst feelings about the negative side of Vrabel as a coach.

And as much as I think Kelly is a pretty good choice as a hire, that makes the refusal to fire Downing until the season was over even more infuriating and stupid.  Kelly could have been given a couple of games where he was in total control, and the OC.  We could have had a trial run, and we didn't.  That's just an objectively stupid decision, if it's the case.

in Vrabel's defense...and yes downing should've been fired after the DUI...but 2 weeks later the GM gets fired. I don't knock keeping OC and adding yet ANOTHER distraction.

hindsight is 20/20 and downing single handidly lost us games, but i do think a thought like the above crossed vrabel's mind 

realistically, vrabel is 4/5 on coordinator hires. pees, lafleur, smith, and bowen were all good. smith in particular was a home run, obviously. so in that sense he deserves some trust. however, that 1/5 was an absolute howler that truly had no reason to happen in the first place and cost us a shot at a super bowl and produced one of the most unwatchable offenses in tennessee titans history, soooo.....i think some suspicion is warranted lmao.