From "The Guy of the Guy"

KingTitan

5 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

realistically, vrabel is 4/5 on coordinator hires. pees, lafleur, smith, and bowen were all good. smith in particular was a home run, obviously. so in that sense he deserves some trust. however, that 1/5 was an absolute howler that truly had no reason to happen in the first place and cost us a shot at a super bowl and produced one of the most unwatchable offenses in tennessee titans history, soooo.....i think some suspicion is warranted lmao. 

i refuse to look back at even the play-by-play gamecast of the cincy loss, but if memory serves...

right before tannehill's boneheaded second pick to Hilton, Foreman got loose for a long run that took us down to the 5. we had been POUNDING that drive and cincy was gassed/on their heels. all we needed to do was keep running and go tempo

instead, downing calls a terrible pass play and RT craps the bed for the second time in the game (but he was far from done pooping)

Replacing Downing mid-season makes no sense. 

Tim Kelly could have been a rock star and Dennis Daley and his band of misfits would have given up pressure in 0.2 seconds causing our stud WRs post-ACL Robert Woods and 4.7 40 NWI not to have time to get open.

I hated Downing, but everyone would have failed at OC for us this year. It's why I was on the fire Robinson trade long before we had a losing record. The players sucked.

You replace him mid-season and the fans hate Kelly too and then you can't realistically give it to him long-term without an uproar.

Edited by TitanSS

38 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

i refuse to look back at even the play-by-play gamecast of the cincy loss, but if memory serves...

right before tannehill's boneheaded second pick to Hilton, Foreman got loose for a long run that took us down to the 5. we had been POUNDING that drive and cincy was gassed/on their heels. all we needed to do was keep running and go tempo

instead, downing calls a terrible pass play and RT craps the bed for the second time in the game (but he was far from done pooping)

oh it was so much worse than just a terrible pass play- it was a bubble screen to chester rogers that *literally never worked* even though we called it incessantly throughout the season, AND we had called it earlier in the game and mike hilton had read it and almost picked it that time, so we knew he was ready. just absolutely horrific 

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

yeah, that's fair. i guess one interesting thing to note is that kelly is very much not of the shanahan tree and is a bill o'brien guy through and through, going all the way back to penn state. so i wonder whether our passing concepts might look different. but that sort of raises the question of....what was he doing as our passing game coordinator this year lmao. that's kind of why it feels meh, imo. on the other hand, iirc we actually did start off the season while ppl were healthy with a higher rate of explosive passing plays, it just suffered due to being married to downing's godawful playcalling. so we'll see i suppose...

And I think, You don't have to innovate to be great. (ohh I like that, copywrite that ish!) 
I mean, it will take a real genius or someone out of this world to create a pro offense that is new and hasn't been seen. 
Everyone is running a version of something else. 
You need a  good play caller who has a feel for the game and knows how to adjust. 
Kelly showed he could do that in Houston.  So if he is the one, ok.  Let's go be good at whatever we trying to do. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

And I think, You don't have to innovate to be great. (ohh I like that, copywrite that ish!) 
I mean, it will take a real genius or someone out of this world to create a pro offense that is new and hasn't been seen. 
Everyone is running a version of something else. 
You need a  good play caller who has a feel for the game and knows how to adjust. 
Kelly showed he could do that in Houston.  So if he is the one, ok.  Let's go be good at whatever we trying to do. 

That is the biggest thing to me. We just had no feel for so many big moments this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twotonebluenation said:

That is the biggest thing to me. We just had no feel for so many big moments this year.

Yup you could have great plays but if you call them at the wrong time its pointless

Todd had ZERO feel for when to take a shot when to go hurry up cause we got em on the ropes couldnt switch it up at halftime at all. So if its Kelly Im cool with it. At least he knows what the guys that are staying can do

19 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

It’s not exciting, but it’s pretty much exactly what I expect at this point. Vrabel isn’t embracing a tank, and Tannehill with either a void year or two added or a mini-extension is the natural fit.

Kelly is the easy hire.

this is probably a very silly question, but there's a part of me that wonders what the odds are that tannehill doesn't want to take a pay cut and forces his way out lol. dude got beat to hell this year and has to know he can probably have a much more successful season in washington or NYJ. or even a reunion with art in atlanta. i suppose he's probably more of a team player than me because that's what i'd do LMAO

29 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

this is probably a very silly question, but there's a part of me that wonders what the odds are that tannehill doesn't want to take a pay cut and forces his way out lol. dude got beat to hell this year and has to know he can probably have a much more successful season in washington or NYJ. or even a reunion with art in atlanta. i suppose he's probably more of a team player than me because that's what i'd do LMAO

If we just tack on a void year, he’s not really taking a pay cut though, technically I think his salary is then just converted to signing bonus and he gets all up front?

But yeah, given guy apparently rushed an ankle surgery to try to get back ASAP to get killed more, I’m assuming he’ll stick around.

18 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

If we just tack on a void year, he’s not really taking a pay cut though, technically I think his salary is then just converted to signing bonus and he gets all up front?

But yeah, given guy apparently rushed an ankle surgery to try to get back ASAP to get killed more, I’m assuming he’ll stick around.

Yeah I heard we could do a void year or dump money in 24 and 25 since we'll have a WHOLE lot more money and cap go up.