New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

We all know it’s time. Our current HC and GM took an average team and made them a bad team. There’s nothing left to see from this duo. 

With that being said, who are your candidates to fill the next spots? Timing is everything when it comes to finding a great coach/GM... Who’s available when you need someone.

Who do you want that could be an option? Do you want the next coach to also take GM responsibilities? We taking another flier on a first time HC? You looking at someone from the ncaa?

Give me some names!

Why Bill Cowher???? Here’s why....

In Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned 10 postseason playoff berths (including six straight in his first six seasons), played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles. At the conclusion of the 2005 season, the Steelers had the best record of any team in the NFL since Cowher was hired as head coach.

Tell me you wouldn’t like anything close to that, here in Detroit! 

15 hours ago, GetDownandDirty said:

Why Bill Cowher???? Here’s why....

In Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned 10 postseason playoff berths (including six straight in his first six seasons), played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles. At the conclusion of the 2005 season, the Steelers had the best record of any team in the NFL since Cowher was hired as head coach.

Tell me you wouldn’t like anything close to that, here in Detroit! 

I loved Cowher. I wanted him here in Detroit so bad. But he's been out of the league for 13 years.  To me, I would wonder how in tune he is to all the front office people and the differences in the league from then  to now? It's never a slam dunk, but I wonder if it would be even less so than if we hired him 13 years ago?

3 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I had hoped Rod Wood would be shown the door too. 

I have seen some say this or something similar. What is it about Rod Wood that people do not like? I thought he wasnt involved with the football operations piece.. I am truly curious.

Edited by BarryTheBest

1 hour ago, BarryTheBest said:

I have seen some say this or something similar. What is it about Rod Wood that people do not like? I thought he wasnt involved with the football operations piece.. I am truly curious.

As Detroit Lions Team President and CEO, Rod Wood oversees all football and business operations of the Lions organization and reports directly to Principal Owner and Chairman Sheila Ford Hamp. He was originally appointed team president on Nov. 19, 2015.

https://www.detroitlions.com/team/front-office-roster/rod-wood

I thought it was encouraging they were looking at "org chart changes" - i.e. maybe Rod Wood is a president over business side only and the next GM hire is a president also. Not sure what they'll do but I agree with the sentiment that Rod Wood shouldn't necessarily oversee football on-field related ops as a non-football guy.

15 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

Also, the Lions are the second lowest valued NFL team in the league.  That to me says he is also one of the worst at his job as he should be developing the brand on the business side.  

I also read an article that talked about how dumb the Lions are organized and that the business and team operations do not work together and are not even housed in the same location (business is downtown at Ford Field, the team operations in Allen Park.  Rod Wood has no professional sports background.  He came from the Ford Foundation so he had a history with the family and although he had business experience, a foundation NFP is very different than a for profit pro sports team.  And the fact that he had to use the NFL committee to hire Quinn just shows he really isn't fit for the job IMO.