New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

Yeah, i don't know who is out there right now who fits the parameters I set. But in a vacuum, that's what I want.  Selah is intriguing as a new coach.  Bieniemy as well, but I get nervous when it is the offensive coordinator in Andy Reid's offense. Andy Reid is the guru so I get a little leery.  However, Andy Reid's coaching tree is pretty good.

I agree with this.  I didnt like Patricia because its Belichick's D he ran, not something he thought up and adapts himself.  And Bieniemy makes me nervous because of that but also because he has Patrick Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill.  It seems like it would be easy to build an offense when you have the best QB, the best TE and a top 5 WR.  I dont trust he can do it in Detroit without those weapons. 

Which is why Saleh is intriguing.  Shannahan is an offensive minded coach so the D schemes and adjustments fall on his shoulders primarily.  He built an absolutely dominant D with elite players.  This year with a few of those elite players injured, he has kept them in the top 10 on D.  By scheme and developing the replacements.  And although Sherman isn't always someone I care much for, his comments about wanting to win for this guy fall in line with the Mike Tomlin's and other successful coaches. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

Garrett had a couple good years but always seemed to underperform and drop the ball.  He may deserve another chance, but not 1 year removed from being fired for failing.  Harbaugh has been consistently failing and maybe its because he fits better in the pros than college but usually to get a secodn chance, you need to have done something since failing to get a second chance.  And neither of these guys have done that.  

Harbaugh also feels like he would bring in a lot of the same issues that Patricia has been (credited?accused?) of, especially in terms of relationship with players, media, etc. He's not going to bring in some of the positive changes needed to establish buy in over the long term. Harbaugh always tends to go somewhere, have success but then burn out the relationships and then winds up moving on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree with this.  I didnt like Patricia because its Belichick's D he ran, not something he thought up and adapts himself.  And Bieniemy makes me nervous because of that but also because he has Patrick Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill.  It seems like it would be easy to build an offense when you have the best QB, the best TE and a top 5 WR.  I dont trust he can do it in Detroit without those weapons. 

Which is why Saleh is intriguing.  Shannahan is an offensive minded coach so the D schemes and adjustments fall on his shoulders primarily.  He built an absolutely dominant D with elite players.  This year with a few of those elite players injured, he has kept them in the top 10 on D.  By scheme and developing the replacements.  And although Sherman isn't always someone I care much for, his comments about wanting to win for this guy fall in line with the Mike Tomlin's and other successful coaches. 

I might be wrong, but I’m pretty sure Bieniemy doesn’t even call the plays. I want no part of him. There’s a reason he didn’t get a job right after winning a super bowl. 

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Harbaugh also feels like he would bring in a lot of the same issues that Patricia has been (credited?accused?) of, especially in terms of relationship with players, media, etc. He's not going to bring in some of the positive changes needed to establish buy in over the long term. Harbaugh always tends to go somewhere, have success but then burn out the relationships and then winds up moving on. 

Yes that is my only question about him. He’s not much of a players coach. 

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Jets players said the same thing about Rex Ryan. 

Edited by HashtagFTW

3 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

There’s too many moving parts in a college football program to use that as a meter of worthiness, imo. It is troubling that scUM fans are wanting him hung, but he’s a good football coach. 

and as for Garrett, I see what the Cowboys are doing now as evidence of he wasn’t the problem. 

Moving parts but he has had multiple top QB prospects and cant develop any.  He can't find a defensive coordinator that can allow less than 30 points a game.  He has never finished better than third in the B10 East.  A good football coach does not have that track record.  He may have been a good coach, but I am not taking a failed college coach and giving him an NFL job because he had some success 10 years ago in the NFL.  

And what the Cowboys are doing now is primarily due to Dak being hurt.  With an elite O line, a great QB and RB and a solid D, he led his teams to 8-8 seasons with a couple decent years thrown in.  Although I would like that as a Lions fan, it just doesn't seem to be enough for me to want to give him a chance when he has gone to NYG and done nothing to develop their young QB. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Yes, agreed on this re: Saleh.

I've been watching interviews of SF media guys talking about him and a couple interviews of his own. He's good with the media, develops game plans with player input, has adapted his defense to different personnel situations. They've also referenced how Shanahan is like the mad scientist locking himself up in a room and scheming up things while Saleh is the de facto head coach and dealing with a lot of different things on a day to day basis. 

There's a difference between being the Regional Manager and the Assistant (to the?) Regional Manager but it helps that he does have some experience running the day to day.

1 minute ago, HashtagFTW said:

Jet’s players said the same thing about Rex Ryan. 

Rex Ryan has a career record similar to Jason Garrett, what about him?  He also made it to two AFC championship games. 

But again, I'd rather give someone else a chance that hasn't proven they failed since they had some good years. 

I always somewhat asterisked Harbaughs run in SF.  I always felt he took over Singletary's team and was credited with it. Similar to Gruden/Dungy. I don't mean to use this to knock Harbaugh, as I think he's a decent coach, but in the NFL I'm not sure if he'd be more than average. Just my .02. And speaking of Singletary...what ever happened to him?

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

Rex Ryan has a career record similar to Jason Garrett, what about him?  

I’m using that as my reason as to why I’m taking Sherman’s comments with a grain of salt. He likes his coach. He’s an outspoken leader. Of course he’ll say something like that. 

• Like 1

Any chance Eric bieniemy, joe Brady, or Arthur smith get a shot?

From college one of the “hot names” matt Campbell.. 

I like saleh but he’s a defensive coordinator. Not sure if the lions make there hc another former d coord.. 

how about promoting brayden Coombs from special teams coord to hc... the last special team coach to jump to hc that I can remember is John harbaugh & I think that worked out well for Baltimore 

If I had it my way, my coaching staff would consist of former players that were captains of their teams. They can relate to the players but also know the old ways of grinding the best out of their people. As a grown adult who is the best at what they do, I can’t imagine that it’s easy to respect the man telling you what to do who could never do it themselves. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

Any chance Eric bieniemy, joe Brady, or Arthur smith get a shot?

From college one of the “hot names” matt Campbell.. 

I like saleh but he’s a defensive coordinator. Not sure if the lions make there hc another former d coord.. 

how about promoting brayden Coombs from special teams coord to hc... the last special team coach to jump to hc that I can remember is John harbaugh & I think that worked out well for Baltimore 

I like Coombs allot but he has one year as a coordinator. I hope the organization retains him because he seems like a bright young coach. I just don’t see him as qualified at this point.