New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

3 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

If I had it my way, my coaching staff would consist of former players that were captains of their teams. They can relate to the players but also know the old ways of grinding the best out of their people. As a grown adult who is the best at what they do, I can’t imagine that it’s easy to respect the man telling you what to do who could never do it themselves. 

I agree with what you said. I want someone that commands, not demands, respect.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

If I had it my way, my coaching staff would consist of former players that were captains of their teams. They can relate to the players but also know the old ways of grinding the best out of their people. As a grown adult who is the best at what they do, I can’t imagine that it’s easy to respect the man telling you what to do who could never do it themselves. 

Yeah, I think that is a good fit as well.  A general is better if he was once a soldier. I think that is part of Vrabel's success.

• Like 1

Just now, HashtagFTW said:

You still following the Sooners? You like Riley?

Yes to the Sooners.

I’m no more a fan of Riley for the NFL than I was Stoops.

Riley inherited a good program and hasn’t taken them up.

Defence has been an issue and while improved over his tenure it’s not where it needs to be.

9 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

Any chance Eric bieniemy, joe Brady, or Arthur smith get a shot?

From college one of the “hot names” matt Campbell.. 

I like saleh but he’s a defensive coordinator. Not sure if the lions make there hc another former d coord.. 

how about promoting brayden Coombs from special teams coord to hc... the last special team coach to jump to hc that I can remember is John harbaugh & I think that worked out well for Baltimore 

Defense really is/has been our biggest issue. It's why we went with Patricia in the first place and it's not like those issues are now fixed. 

25 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

Any chance Eric bieniemy, joe Brady, or Arthur smith get a shot?

From college one of the “hot names” matt Campbell.. 

I like saleh but he’s a defensive coordinator. Not sure if the lions make there hc another former d coord.. 

how about promoting brayden Coombs from special teams coord to hc... the last special team coach to jump to hc that I can remember is John harbaugh & I think that worked out well for Baltimore 

I'd rather get out of the mindset of hiring a OC vs DC and hire the guy who is the best leader, game planner, teacher and manager.  In the end for me, it still comes down to the GM in terms of being successful or not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

I'd rather get out of the mindset of hiring a OC vs DC and hire the guy who is the best leader, game planner, teacher and manager.  In the end for me, it still comes down to the GM in terms of being successful or not.

This. And it's not as if a "______-minded head coach" is a lock to have a strong _____. Four of the six 1st and 2nd round draft picks during Patricia's tenure were on offense: Ragnow, Kerryon Johnson, Hockenson and Swift. Those are the rounds where you have to find key contributors, and those picks were spent on C, TE, RB, RB, ILB and CB.

And, for the record, I'm glad that the Lions didn't just draft all defense because Patricia was a "defensive-minded coach". I want the team to draft the best players, especially in rounds 1-2. I just think - as you said - we need to have a guy that excels at as many of those things as possible. (Coaches that have them all are rarely available, and usually aren't looking to take over a rebuild.) If I had to pick two, give me leadership and game planning.

• Like 1

Just now, Lions017 said:

We need a guy that can motivate players, make adjustments, and develop players. 

Who really improved over Patricia's tenure? Most players on the defensive side either stayed the same or regressed. Maybe Okwara? 

Oruwariye would also fall into that category. Tracy Walker was up and down... not really sure what happened this off-season to him. 

8 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

We need a guy that can motivate players, make adjustments, and develop players. 

Who really improved over Patricia's tenure? Most players on the defensive side either stayed the same or regressed. Maybe Okwara? 

In fairness, we often praised Stafford's play (when healthy) and remarked how well the offense performed. It seems that the entire offensive line surged, as did guys like Golladay and even Hockenson (although that's to be expected from a TE picked so early in the draft).

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

In fairness, we often praised Stafford's play (when healthy) and remarked how well the offense performed. It seems that the entire offensive line surged, as did guys like Golladay and even Hockenson (although that's to be expected from a TE picked so early in the draft).

Agreed. Just because it didn't work out doesn't mean that EVERYTHING Quintricia did was bad. There are some positives to build upon. There is some talent on the roster. There's just not enough talent where it needs to be to put it all together while the coaching/scheme was suppressing some of those players from achieving their capabilities. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

This is what it is for me too.  Sean McVay and Kyle Shannahan are successful because they are creative and seem to find ways to fit the talents they have into a successful system.  Thats the reason that Belichick was successful as well.  And great defensive minded coaches the same.  They have to be able to adapt to the players on their team, adapt to schemes in game, get the most out of their players, and be able to lead the locker room.  I think the GM has to be successful as well but part of that is working closely with the head coach and trusting his needs and desires.  

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

This is what it is for me too.  Sean McVay and Kyle Shannahan are successful because they are creative and seem to find ways to fit the talents they have into a successful system.  Thats the reason that Belichick was successful as well.  And great defensive minded coaches the same.  They have to be able to adapt to the players on their team, adapt to schemes in game, get the most out of their players, and be able to lead the locker room.  I think the GM has to be successful as well but part of that is working closely with the head coach and trusting his needs and desires.  

I've been thinking about the Belichick-Patricia connection quite a bit lately.

One thing I loved about hiring from the Belichick tree (Patricia) was the notion that they can adapt using the personnel they have. Patricia was obviously nothing like this. But, really, Quinn wasn't either: his comments about feeling uncomfortable scouting defensive players that didn't fit the same scheme in NE speak to that.

It means one thing: Belichick has defensive preferences, too: big linebackers, bigger defensive linemen. On offense, Belichick has been able to adapt to his personnel (at an elite level), and he has had plenty of time to build the defense using his guys. Patricia clearly didn't have that time. (And he shouldn't have been given more time. Just pointing out that, on defense, Belichick has a 'type' he looks for.)

14 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

If I were a coach, I'd love this job: you've got a franchise QB, a really good OLine, plenty of weapons on offense, and some young pieces on defense. I said the same thing earlier this year: if you went defense heavy in the upcoming draft, you'd have a pretty good squad to work with.

You'll probably need to franchise Golladay, but I agree. Lots of talking heads think we absolutely are going to be looking new QB but if you think you can win within 5 years, Stafford can still be the guy, and a seasoned one at that. Should definitely take a dev QB with some of his traits.

A couple of pieces you need to add under this approach are receivers that can get open more easily. Golladay you can throw open to an extent, but one of the reasons Stafford continues to get pummeled is that his guys are tightly covered.  More coverage sacks this year than I can remember recently. One receiver early like Devonta Smith and one mid round speedster like Tutu Atwell.

I also agree with LionArkie's take about not necessarily looking at the OC vs. DC; for this dead-eyed franchise, you need a leader - charismatic, preferably - first who has enough game management and X's and O's, analytics ability to be able to direct his coordinators and gameplanning. Without the leadership aspect you're not going to get the development you need to be a continued winner. Saleh and Matt Campbell are my top two choices here.

• Like 2