New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

40 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If I go on a tangent and include all of those guys plus a few other guys like Justin Coleman, Jahlani Tavai, Geronimo Allison we're looking at about $75M in overall cap space with 28 players under contract. 

We'd need to add about 35 guys between FA, draft and UDFA (53 man roster + 10 man PS). 

I’m interested in total dead cap numbers. 

Im not going to do the research but they need to apply some level of analysis to player value versus contract etc. 

8 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I’m interested in total dead cap numbers. 

Im not going to do the research but they need to apply some level of analysis to player value versus contract etc. 

Would have to work through it. Looking more into it, OTC incorporates the dead cap into the overall salary cap figure. 

• Like 1

Off topic but tied to executive search functions. I really question Rod Woods ability.

I was just looking at the organizational chart which, frankly, is a joke. With the recent staff cuts the Lions have 209 staff of which 44 are directors or VP’s. That includes the Doctors trainers etc but doesn’t include players or coaching staff or GM. There isn’t a logical flow of responsibility etc.

The number of employees director level or above would be more typical in an organization with 5000 plus employees.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

It shouldn't, but it makes me skeptical if Saleh ends up being the hire. I want who they hire to be a football decision, not a feel good story or political one. 

Have the Lions ever listened to anyone? Who cares what politicians say.

I don't believe the Lions will hire Saleh, anyway. It makes too much sense. My overwhelming guess at this point is: 

- they will hire someone for GM who they are told to hire by someone who doesn't know or care about the Lions

- the hire will have little or no experience as GM, will be a scouting or personnel guy

- there's a non-zero chance the Lions will tell the new GM to keep Bevell as coach

- people wanting the HC job will be limited because the GM will be inexperienced in the position and/or have conditions placed on him from ownership

- Saleh will have opportunities with better franchises

I wanted to add, I hear a lot of talk about "this roster is 3 years away," some say even longer.

But there's no reason why the Lions couldn't turn it around fast - if they had competent leadership. If they did things like using their draft capital properly. Like being getting free agents who aren't the coach's BFF to sign.

Other NFL teams do this all the time. They make a change and they start on an upward path. Think about how strange and impossible that seems as a Lions fan. Some other franchises, they do it a couple of times a decade.

Edited by Superduperman

30 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Have the Lions ever listened to anyone? Who cares what politicians say.

I don't believe the Lions will hire Saleh, anyway. It makes too much sense. My overwhelming guess at this point is: 

- they will hire someone for GM who they are told to hire by someone who doesn't know or care about the Lions

- the hire will have little or no experience as GM, will be a scouting or personnel guy

- there's a non-zero chance the Lions will tell the new GM to keep Bevell as coach

- people wanting the HC job will be limited because the GM will be inexperienced in the position and/or have conditions placed on him from ownership

- Saleh will have opportunities with better franchises

I wanted to add, I hear a lot of talk about "this roster is 3 years away," some say even longer.

But there's no reason why the Lions couldn't turn it around fast - if they had competent leadership. If they did things like using their draft capital properly. Like being getting free agents who aren't the coach's BFF to sign.

Other NFL teams do this all the time. They make a change and they start on an upward path. Think about how strange and impossible that seems as a Lions fan. Some other franchises, they do it a couple of times a decade.

I was with you until this. It's the Lions, that's the reason.  But I do agree, a competent team could turn it around faster.

6 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Off topic but tied to executive search functions. I really question Rod Woods ability.

I was just looking at the organizational chart which, frankly, is a joke. With the recent staff cuts the Lions have 209 staff of which 44 are directors or VP’s. That includes the Doctors trainers etc but doesn’t include players or coaching staff or GM. There isn’t a logical flow of responsibility etc.

The number of employees director level or above would be more typical in an organization with 5000 plus employees.

I remember being really opposed to him during the hire.  It was stated by many he was in charge of coke prices.  I'm still opposed to this hire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

I was with you until this. It's the Lions, that's the reason.  But I do agree, a competent team could turn it around faster.

I guess the unspoken part was how big that if is to me. As I've said, I believe the Lions do not exist to succeed at football. They approach all leadership decisions with different priorities in mind.

As I said in the first part, I don't believe they will hire a GM who is capable of turning the Lions around the way normal NFL franchises turn around. But if by some miracle they did, it wouldn't have to take 3-5 years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

heard Jerry Reese is a strong possibility for the gm job

What are your thoughts on him? 

He is the most successful and experienced guy from the names being thrown out (10 years with 2x SB's) but his 1st rd picks feel like they're really hit and miss. 

• 2007(20) Aaron Ross Defensive back Texas
  • 2008(31) Kenny Phillips Defensive back Miami (Florida) < SB Year
  • 2009(29) Hakeem Nicks Wide receiver North Carolina
  • 2010(15) Jason Pierre-Paul Defensive end South Florida
  • 2011(19) Prince Amukamara Defensive back Nebraska
  • 2012(32) David Wilson Running back Virginia Tech < SB Year
  • 2013(19) Justin Pugh Tackle Syracuse
  • 2014(12) Odell Beckham Jr. Wide receiver Louisiana State
  • 2015(9) Ereck Flowers Tackle Miami (Florida)
  • 2016(10) Eli Apple Cornerback Ohio State
  • 2017(23) Evan Engram Tight end Mississippi

6 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

What are your thoughts on him? 

He is the most successful and experienced guy from the names being thrown out (10 years with 2x SB's) but his 1st rd picks feel like they're really hit and miss. 

• 2007(20) Aaron Ross Defensive back Texas
  • 2008(31) Kenny Phillips Defensive back Miami (Florida) < SB Year
  • 2009(29) Hakeem Nicks Wide receiver North Carolina
  • 2010(15) Jason Pierre-Paul Defensive end South Florida
  • 2011(19) Prince Amukamara Defensive back Nebraska
  • 2012(32) David Wilson Running back Virginia Tech < SB Year
  • 2013(19) Justin Pugh Tackle Syracuse
  • 2014(12) Odell Beckham Jr. Wide receiver Louisiana State
  • 2015(9) Ereck Flowers Tackle Miami (Florida)
  • 2016(10) Eli Apple Cornerback Ohio State
  • 2017(23) Evan Engram Tight end Mississippi

He ticks the boxes on my list. I hope for a GM that has had success.