New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

9 hours ago, teude said:

Didnt 49ers hire Shanahan first and then GM who Shanahan wanted/suggested?

Correct. Shanny was always the guy first and foremost. When it became clear shanny was going to be the next niner coach, Lynch then called shanny and said he wanted the job of gm lol

• Like 1

According to the last section of this article, the Lions stated their next GM and coach have already been looked at. Take it for what it is worth.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2021/01/05/detroit-lions-rod-wood-coach-general-manager-search-update/4138721001/

I'm really thinking the coach is going to be Marvin Lewis.  The GM I'm more unsure about, but if I was forced to pick from this list I think they are going to go with either Rick Smith or Louis Riddick.  I'm leaning more towards Riddick for their choice.

So if I was a gambling man, it would be this:

1A) Lewis/Riddick

1B) Saleh/Smith

I think its going to pan out in one of those two directions. I don't think you will see a rookie GM/rookie Coach combo. I give an outside chance to Lewis/Smith...which I think is what I'd prefer.

1 hour ago, HashtagFTW said:

I pray we don’t hire Marvin Lewis. Why hire someone with an 0-7 playoff record? 

There was a real interesting article about this very thing.  They were saying the way the Bengals approached it, they were incredibly cheap on certain aspects causing a lot of failure for him. Now, make of this statement what you will, but the dude made it to the playoffs with the Bengals 7 times. I'm not sure how many Superbowl winning coaches we are going to get this year, but from the aspect of making the playoffs, Marvin Lewis was successful...with the Bengals.  I think he could be successful if the organization was set up right. He is more proven the Saleh, Patricia, Schwartz coming into the Lions. I believe him to be a better coach than Caldwell and would be an incredible asset in the locker room. He lasted 15 years as a hc and has won more than he has lost during the regular season. I still hold firm the belief, experience is a hell of a teacher and if anyone deserves a second chance, it would be Lewis.

https://www.detroitlionspodcast.com/ash-thompson/2021/01/04/why-the-detroit-lions-would-interview-marvin-lewis/

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/13/18172105/bengals-marvin-lewis-16-years-fired-cincinnati-football-seasons-nfl-news
https://www.radio.com/929thegame/sports/nfl/takeo-spikes-praises-marvin-lewis-rips-bengals-culture

Edited by LionArkie

16 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

There was a real interesting article about this very thing.  They were saying the way the Bengals approached it, they were incredibly cheap on certain aspects causing a lot of failure for him. Now, make of this statement what you will, but the dude made it to the playoffs with the Bengals 7 times. I'm not sure how many Superbowl winning coaches we are going to get this year, but from the aspect of making the playoffs, Marvin Lewis was successful...with the Bengals.  I think he could be successful if the organization was set up right. He is more proven the Saleh, Patricia, Schwartz. I believe him to be a better coach than Caldwell and would be an incredible asset in the locker room. He lasted 15 years as a hc and has won more than he has lost during the regular season. I still hold firm the belief, experience is a hell of a teacher and if anyone deserves a second chance, it would be Lewis.

https://www.detroitlionspodcast.com/ash-thompson/2021/01/04/why-the-detroit-lions-would-interview-marvin-lewis/

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/13/18172105/bengals-marvin-lewis-16-years-fired-cincinnati-football-seasons-nfl-news
https://www.radio.com/929thegame/sports/nfl/takeo-spikes-praises-marvin-lewis-rips-bengals-culture

I gone over this idea in-depth before. Believe I posted the Idea last year when I was in full troll mode with Quinn/Patricia and got thrashed. But, like you said, no one really understands how good of a job he was doing cause they're blinded by 0-7.

People have to look beyond the surface and that's not worth a lot of peoples time anymore. 

I'm not saying he's a god, but he was HC and basically GM. He hired great coaches around him, drafted well, and spent money properly and effectively, while managing some seriously troubled men. All things Lions haven't done well since basically I've been watching them. '92. An Marvin Lewis did it with Superbowl runs from teams within his Division... *(Steelers/Ravens)

A lot of people dont' want the guy that brought the Bengals to the playoffs every other year when Lions have only been to the playoffs a whoppin 12 times in what... 60 seaons?

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, LionArkie said:

According to the last section of this article, the Lions stated their next GM and coach have already been looked at. Take it for what it is worth.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2021/01/05/detroit-lions-rod-wood-coach-general-manager-search-update/4138721001/

I'm really thinking the coach is going to be Marvin Lewis.  The GM I'm more unsure about, but if I was forced to pick from this list I think they are going to go with either Rick Smith or Louis Riddick.  I'm leaning more towards Riddick for their choice.

So if I was a gambling man, it would be this:

1A) Lewis/Riddick

1B) Saleh/Smith

I think its going to pan out in one of those two directions. I don't think you will see a rookie GM/rookie Coach combo. I give an outside chance to Lewis/Smith...which I think is what I'd prefer.

Rod Wood saying that the Lions could re-tool on offense while rebuilding a poor defense, re-enforces what Louis Riddick said when asked what the Lions should do with Stafford. He claimed the Lions should keep Stafford, retool the offense and rebuild the defense. This leads me to thinking Riddick has more of a chance at GM than I originally thought. Rod Wood also talked or hiring a coach quickly if they are competing with other teams. The coach with the most suitors is Robert Saleh, whom the Lions interview today. As of now, I'm thinking Riddick/Saleh might be the combo the Lions are leaning towards. 

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

I gone over this idea in-depth before. Believe I posted the Idea last year when I was in full troll mode with Quinn/Patricia and got thrashed. But, like you said, no one really understands how good of a job he was doing cause they're blinded by 0-7.

People have to look beyond the surface and that's not worth a lot of peoples time anymore. 

I'm not saying he's a god, but he was HC and basically GM. He hired great coaches around him, drafted well, and spent money properly and effectively, while managing some seriously troubled men. All things Lions haven't done well since basically I've been watching them. '92. An Marvin Lewis did it with Superbowl runs from teams within his Division... *(Steelers/Ravens)

A lot of people dont' want the guy that brought the Bengals to the playoffs every other year when Lions have only been to the playoffs a whoppin 12 times in what... 60 seaons?

Let’s not pretend that he didn’t have star talent all over his team. Those Cincy teams were LOADED. Not only did they have perennial talent on both sides of the ball, but they took top tier talent at the backend of the draft every year that fell due to character concerns. They were deep, and they were loaded. Those teams should have had at bare minimum one playoff win.