New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

5 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

That’s a good point however I wouldn’t read to much into it. I think it would be foolish to hire a coach before the GM. A coach in place would simply be a negative for an incoming GM.

Perhaps the plan is to hire the GM who has already made his feelings known about a coach.

I'm really thinking Louis Riddick is the guy the Lions covet and that Riddick is open to working with Saleh. I'm wondering if the Lions are waiting for Seahawks to be eliminated before announcing their guy. 

• Like 1

I really think it's Jeff Ireland that they covet and Rick Smith/Louis Riddick are fall backs.

As for coach, who knows, supposedly bringing in Todd Bowels for an interview.

I'm not really understanding interviewing HC's without the GM in place either. As a owner/organization you get to approve HC's not hire them. That is the Gm's/Presidents job to do(hire a HC) and then the HC should be able to hire his own staff. Whoever the future GM is should be in on these HC interviews, imo. 

Only other thing I can think of is the HC will be in control and the GM will be more of an advisory role/front office/paper work guy. Which screams Marvin Lewis and Rick Smith based off both the previous roles each had in other organizations and the similarity's.

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

I really think it's Jeff Ireland that they covet and Rick Smith/Louis Riddick are fall backs.

I'm not really understanding interviewing HC's without the GM in place either. As a owner/organization you get to approve HC's not hire them. That is the Gm's/Presidents job to do(hire a HC) and then the HC should be able to hire his own staff. Whoever the future GM is should be in on these HC interviews, imo. 

Only other thing I can think of is the HC will be in control and the GM will be more of an advisory role/front office/paper work guy. Which screams Marvin Lewis and Rick Smith based off both the previous roles each had in other organizations and the similarity's.

Lions have stated they want a combo of GM/HC who are comfortable working TOGETHER and not one working for the other. Word is, when interviewing both positions, they are asking candidates whom they would like to work with. I have a feeling, a long history of in-fighting might be behind this "culture change" the Lions are trying to build. 

42 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Lions have stated they want a combo of GM/HC who are comfortable working TOGETHER and not one working for the other. Word is, when interviewing both positions, they are asking candidates whom they would like to work with. I have a feeling, a long history of in-fighting might be behind this "culture change" the Lions are trying to build. 

This. They don't want the HC reporting to the GM, but both working together. It makes sense, although it seems like a "different" approach.

12 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Why in the world would we interview Bowles? Unless its the Ireland connection as they have worked together in the past or the NFL wants the Lions to hire a minority HC because they were embarrassed of the lack of hires last offseason and are pushing the racial reform propaganda. 

12 minutes ago, BZski said:

Why in the world would we interview Bowles? Unless its the Ireland connection as they have worked together in the past or the NFL wants the Lions to hire a minority HC because they were embarrassed of the lack of hires last offseason and are pushing the racial reform propaganda. 

Idk man. Really dont want him as HC. It's just a request so far. A lot weird things going on right now. Seems like there's a lot of behind the scenes chatter going on we'll never know about.(Just speculate.)

2 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Idk man. Really dont want him as HC. It's just a request so far. A lot weird things going on right now. Seems like there's a lot of behind the scenes chatter going on we'll never know about.(Just speculate.)

Yeah for sure. I just hope they hire the BEST guy. From what I read it seems like Paton is the leader for GM and Marvin Lewis or Pat Fitzgerald for HC. I am hoping Dan Campbell does well in his interview as he is becoming my favorite for the job after reading more about him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

12 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

This. They don't want the HC reporting to the GM, but both working together. It makes sense, although it seems like a "different" approach.

So... who's in charge? You both have real jobs... Someones always in charge. Who is it here? How does it actually stop the "in house" fighting? By giving the tough choices to President Rod Wood who knows nothing about football or our new owner? I'm excited for these hires cause it's an awesome chance for change here but wow, looking like they're just recreating a power struggle honestly, before they're even hired!

I think it's pretty easy to work with someone who hired you, or who you hired. I'm not seeing the power struggle really in that dynamic.

Edited by SimbaWho

10 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

So... who's in charge? You both have real jobs... Someones always in charge. Who is it here? How does it actually stop the "in house" fighting? By giving the tough choices to President Rod Wood who knows nothing about football or our new owner? I'm excited for these hires cause it's an awesome chance for change here but wow, looking like they're just recreating a power struggle honestly, before they're even hired!

I think it's pretty easy to work with someone who hired you, or who you hired. I'm not seeing the power struggle really in that dynamic.

I mean, if we're basing this off of "real jobs", Sheila Ford Hamp is in charge. She's the boss. It's quite possible to have two individuals in leadership roles working together evenly. (A Crime Unit Supervisor and a Patrol Unit Supervisor, for example.)

I think, by hiring two individuals that agree to work together evenly, they're hoping to avoid a potential power struggle down the road. This is a line of work that is filled by ego and consists of tough decisions. Perhaps they're basing this off of behind-the-scenes interactions in the past (rumors that Quinn wanted Okudah and Patricia wanted Brown), or perhaps they just want to try something new.

I don't think either approach is right or wrong by default.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I mean, if we're basing this off of "real jobs", Sheila Ford Hamp is in charge. She's the boss. It's quite possible to have two individuals in leadership roles working together evenly. (A Crime Unit Supervisor and a Patrol Unit Supervisor, for example.)

I think, by hiring two individuals that agree to work together evenly, they're hoping to avoid a potential power struggle down the road. This is a line of work that is filled by ego and consists of tough decisions. Perhaps they're basing this off of behind-the-scenes interactions in the past (rumors that Quinn wanted Okudah and Patricia wanted Brown), or perhaps they just want to try something new.

I don't think either approach is right or wrong by default.

Fair enough, an all jobs/situations are different. I'm not saying it can't really work either... But even in those two situations right, the buck prolly stops with whoever their Captain, or COP is if they screw up. Right?

I'm not saying it can't or won't work. Hopefully it's perfect! Just seems... Weird. Not my style I guess. I mean even McDonald franchises have district managers/general managers. Hardly ever does ownership actually have to get their hands dirty. An never is there this dynamic between shift managers vs general manager in a fast food chain(at least back in my day). To me HC is essentially fastfoods shift managers.

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Fair enough, an all jobs/situations are different. I'm not saying it can't really work either... But even in those two situations right, the buck prolly stops with whoever their Captain, or COP is if they screw up. Right?

I'm not saying it can't or won't work. Hopefully it's perfect! Just seems... Weird. Not my style I guess. I mean even McDonald franchises have district managers/general managers. Hardly ever does ownership actually have to get their hands dirty. An never is there this dynamic between shift managers vs general manager in a fast food chain(at least back in my day). To me HC is essentially fastfoods shift managers.

Very true, and good points. I guess they're hoping to hire two like-minded individuals that can make decisions together. The downside is that an ego-fueled dispute after a losing year could fracture the relationship completely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Very true, and good points. I guess they're hoping to hire two like-minded individuals that can make decisions together. The downside is that an ego-fueled dispute after a losing year could fracture the relationship completely.

Makes me wonder if Ireland is in the lead for GM as they just interviewed him Friday and he has worked with Todd Bowles in the past at MIA and Lions just requested an interview? Seems funny. Also, with Lions about to interview Dan Campbell who has the MIA connection as well but also the NO connection. Maybe Ireland is in the lead? I also get a very good Mike Vrabel type vibe from Dan Campbell.

15 minutes ago, BZski said:

Makes me wonder if Ireland is in the lead for GM as they just interviewed him Friday and he has worked with Todd Bowles in the past at MIA and Lions just requested an interview? Seems funny. Also, with Lions about to interview Dan Campbell who has the MIA connection as well but also the NO connection. Maybe Ireland is in the lead? I also get a very good Mike Vrabel type vibe from Dan Campbell.

Very interesting.

Now that Seattle is out of the playoffs, I do wonder if they go a little harder at Schneider. 

IF Saleh is the guy, a veteran GM with experience scouting and drafting for the Seattle scheme would make a lot of sense. Guys like Dimitroff and Schneider would fit that bill nicely. There would be connections to guys like Dan Quinn (DC) or Bevell returning as OC. 

I don't know if they could make this work but man, this would be a great setup. A mix of young and old, a blend of Seattle, San Francisco and Atlanta. 

• GM - Thomas Dimitroff or John Schneider
  • HC - Robert Saleh
  • OC/Run Game Coordinator - Mike Lafleur (Currently run game coordinator in SF. Gives Saleh a familiar face and a promotion for Lafleur)
  • Pass Game Coordinator/AHC - Darryl Bevell (Essentially gives DB credit for his work with Stafford and taking over a tough spot. Becomes a lateral move instead of a demotion with Lafleur coming in).
  • DC - Dan Quinn - Has familiarity with both guys at GM from his time in Seattle and as HC in Atlanta. Would provide a lot of experience to Saleh as a former HC himself. If they can turn that defense around quickly, Quinn could get himself back in the conversation as a HC for another team.