New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

Lots of interesting views. They’ve conducted many GM interviews and I can’t imagine a scenario where a GM is hired after a HC unless the GM approves. The Lions are trying to change the organization but at some point, someone has final say. Perhaps that will be Wood given Spielman is an advisor. With the Lions history and the number of opportunities some will be scared off. Some will choose a better opportunity. The only way I see a variation on the traditional roles of GM HC is if they hire a GM that’s a financial guy and leave all football decisions to the HC. Working together is an expectation regardless of how authority is distributed. Quintricia worked together but it seems Quinn had final authority. 

I think we have to keep in mind the Lions aren’t the most attractive opportunity out there. They have to make the position more attractive and they need to make a decision in short order. Lynch in Seattle isn’t moving without full control which would eliminate the shared concepts described and I doubt they could lure Colvert without an equity offer so he looks like a very long shot to me.

As for speculation I think the GM will be George Paton and the HC Darrell Bevell. 

21 minutes ago, MortexLion said:

https://nfltraderumors.co/lions-interviewing-colts-asst-gm-ed-dodds-for-gm-job-tuesday/ Nice to See the got Ed Dodds coming in for an interview.

Not sure of what to think of this aspect - he declined an interview with the Panthers but is coming for an interview here. 

And out of things that I probably only think/care about... I wonder what is the most common PowerPoint theme being used by the coaches in their presentations. I'm teaching a course this semester and building out the material for virtual presentations on PowerPoint. It all starts with the right design. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flyguy1609 said:

Doug Peterson got fired from the eagles, not sure what you guys think of him

I saw that... I mean... he won a SB recently. He has been known generally as a really good coach. I wonder if he just got tired of things in Philly and basically pulled the pin and threw out the proverbial grenade when he pulled Jalen Hurts against Washington. It's a really bizarre situation to say the least. 

I am rooting for Dan Campbell to get the HC job. He is interviewing today. I think he is going to interview very well today. 

He is the Assistant HC/TE coach for NO for the last 5 years. He was an interim HC for MIA and went 5-7 with a bad roster. He is a leader, former player, reminds me a lot of Vrabel as that young player coach type. I also like the fact that he will not have to call plays as the OC/DC and can concentrate on his HC duties. I think he could be a Home Run hire. 

1 hour ago, BZski said:

I am rooting for Dan Campbell to get the HC job. He is interviewing today. I think he is going to interview very well today. 

He is the Assistant HC/TE coach for NO for the last 5 years. He was an interim HC for MIA and went 5-7 with a bad roster. He is a leader, former player, reminds me a lot of Vrabel as that young player coach type. I also like the fact that he will not have to call plays as the OC/DC and can concentrate on his HC duties. I think he could be a Home Run hire. 

What makes you say he "will not have to call plays as the OC/DC"? Why would he not want to? Who would he bring in as OC?

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I saw that... I mean... he won a SB recently. He has been known generally as a really good coach. I wonder if he just got tired of things in Philly and basically pulled the pin and threw out the proverbial grenade when he pulled Jalen Hurts against Washington. It's a really bizarre situation to say the least. 

This is my thought.  Its not often you get a SB winning coach to become available.  I'd gladly take it and just chalk it up to a bad roster and injuries that derailed that team.  I guess I don't know much about the dynamic there but its hard to win when you put your eggs in on a QB and that QB turns out to be bad.  A big contract on a bad QB cripples a team. 

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

The Eagles firing Peterson is absolutely insane to me.

He lost the locker room. Whether he liked Hurts or Wentz or whomever, he sabotaged the game his players wanted to win. Once you do that, there is no going back. While I don't think he's a bad coach, and don't blame him for Philly's abysmal state, there are some things you just can't do, and that's alienate the players (see Patricia). I see him getting a job somewhere by next week. Maybe not a HC job though. 

35 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

He lost the locker room. Whether he liked Hurts or Wentz or whomever, he sabotaged the game his players wanted to win. Once you do that, there is no going back. While I don't think he's a bad coach, and don't blame him for Philly's abysmal state, there are some things you just can't do, and that's alienate the players (see Patricia). I see him getting a job somewhere by next week. Maybe not a HC job though. 

Although I get that, he - in my opinion - made a fair coaching decision, regardless of how the players feel. Starting lesser players to "get a look at them" isn't anything new. (Had that been an irrelevant game against two irrelevant teams, and playoff seeds weren't hanging in the balance, I'm not sure anyone cares.)

The guy won you a Super Bowl.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Although I get that, he - in my opinion - made a fair coaching decision, regardless of how the players feel. Starting lesser players to "get a look at them" isn't anything new.

The guy won you a Super Bowl.

But he didn't start a lesser player to take a look. They were in the middle of a competitive game, that players were invested in, to "take a look" at a player who was on your active roster for 3 years? Pederson went rogue. 

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

But he didn't start a lesser player to take a look. They were in the middle of a competitive game, that players were invested in, to "take a look" at a player who was on your active roster for 3 years? Pederson went rogue. 

So, I'm curious: if that game were against two irrelevant teams, and playoff seeding wasn't on the line, would anyone care? Had Peterson started Sudfeld from the start of the game, would that have made it any better?

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

So, I'm curious: if that game were against two irrelevant teams, and playoff seeding wasn't on the line, would anyone care? Had Peterson started Sudfeld from the start of the game, would that have made it any better?

IMO, yes. If he had started Sudfeld, it would have been much different. But he didn't. He pulled the QB his players were rallying behind, in a competitive game, basically telling your team you gave up on them. That loses you a lockerroom. Maybe he wanted out. Maybe he was trying to push boundaries against management. Whatever his reasoning, anyone watching that sideline in the second half saw the writing on the wall.