New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

10 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

IMO, yes. If he had started Sudfeld, it would have been much different. But he didn't. He pulled the QB his players were rallying behind, in a competitive game, basically telling your team you gave up on them. That loses you a lockerroom. Maybe he wanted out. Maybe he was trying to push boundaries against management. Whatever his reasoning, anyone watching that sideline in the second half saw the writing on the wall. 

I dunno. It's my opinion that he might've viewed that Week 17 game for what it was: irrelevant. Management clearly wasn't behind the decision to tank, so doing so wouldn't have gone over well. Instead, if he viewed it as an opportunity to get a player some playing time during an irrelevant Week 17 game, it makes sense to me. That stuff happens all the time.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I dunno. It's my opinion that he might've viewed that Week 17 game for what it was: irrelevant. Management clearly wasn't behind the decision to tank, so doing so wouldn't have gone over well. Instead, if he viewed it as an opportunity to get a player some playing time during an irrelevant Week 17 game, it makes sense to me. That stuff happens all the time.

An opportunity for playing time is not pulling your rookie QB who is in a competitive game for a 4th yr 3rd string QB. That is waving a white flag, while your team is still competing. 

28 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

An opportunity for playing time is not pulling your rookie QB who is in a competitive game for a 4th yr 3rd string QB. That is waving a white flag, while your team is still competing. 

And I'd ask: why does a successful coach "wave a white flag" in a "competitive game" if that game has meaning? And my answer: he doesn't.

This, to me, is much like a young quarterback begging his coach to let him go for it on a 4th and long late in a game. You don't blame him for being competitive, but you don't base your decision on that either. You do what you think is best for your team.

It should be mentioned: yes, Jalen Hurts had rushed for 34 yards and two TDs, but he was 7 for 20 for 72 yards with zero TDs and one INT throwing the ball. That isn't a great performance by any means. It's not like he was dominating the game.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

That is interesting.  Makes me nervous with his decisions on offensive coaches, makes me nervous he doesn't stand up for what he believes in and just goes along with things, but also he won a Super Bowl three years ago with a backup QB.  I think I would still take my chances and give him the shot.  Let him make his coaching decisions and hold him accountable. 

43 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That is interesting.  Makes me nervous with his decisions on offensive coaches, makes me nervous he doesn't stand up for what he believes in and just goes along with things, but also he won a Super Bowl three years ago with a backup QB.  I think I would still take my chances and give him the shot.  Let him make his coaching decisions and hold him accountable. 

I feel the same way. I know he's a sb winning coach, but was he just a flash in the pan? Those types of coaches worry me.

9 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I feel the same way. I know he's a sb winning coach, but was he just a flash in the pan? Those types of coaches worry me.

Typically coaches who win a SB aren't just flashes.  Especially ones who win with a team and back up QB that wasn't expected to compete at that level.  There are 33 coaches in history to win a Super Bowl, and of that bunch, Barry Switzer and Gary Kubiak are about the only ones who fell into a talented team and lucked into one, even then Kubiak was a decent coach that lifted a team that hadn't won any before. 

Pederson took a team from top 5 pick to SB in a couple years, with a backup QB. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Typically coaches who win a SB aren't just flashes.  Especially ones who win with a team and back up QB that wasn't expected to compete at that level.  There are 33 coaches in history to win a Super Bowl, and of that bunch, Barry Switzer and Gary Kubiak are about the only ones who fell into a talented team and lucked into one, even then Kubiak was a decent coach that lifted a team that hadn't won any before. 

Pederson took a team from top 5 pick to SB in a couple years, with a backup QB. 

My ONLY concern with Pederson is that he seemed to have left Philly because he didn't want outside influences from ownership. With the addition of Chris Spielman into the management mix, would Pederson have a similar response if CS starts making some suggestions? Would he prefer an environment where he's essentially left on his own to do what he feels is best?

Just now, Karnage84 said:

My ONLY concern with Pederson is that he seemed to have left Philly because he didn't want outside influences from ownership. With the addition of Chris Spielman into the management mix, would Pederson have a similar response if CS starts making some suggestions? Would he prefer an environment where he's essentially left on his own to do what he feels is best?

From the sounds of it, he had always been a yes man to upper management.  So I don't think he is going to go full on independent trouble maker.  My guess would be that he wants to work with people to make decisions and not be told my way or the highway by his upper management.  I get that he was frustrated by management forcing his coaches around since he had to fire his trusted OC the year before.  Sounds like a fractured relationship prior to this and this was the straw that broke it. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

From the sounds of it, he had always been a yes man to upper management.  So I don't think he is going to go full on independent trouble maker.  My guess would be that he wants to work with people to make decisions and not be told my way or the highway by his upper management.  I get that he was frustrated by management forcing his coaches around since he had to fire his trusted OC the year before.  Sounds like a fractured relationship prior to this and this was the straw that broke it. 

When you're supposed to be the head guy, you should be able to make your own personnel decisions. I had read that it was a) firing of the OC last year and b) not being able to hire his choice in OC this year. If you aren't being given the authority to make the moves you feel is necessary to be successful, then you're going to be handcuffed. So I do understand his position. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

What does Dan Campbell bring to the table as a future HC? 

The guy is a leader of men type of dude. High character. Parcells umbrella. Payton umbrella. Everyone that's interviewed him(and passed him up) come away highly impressed. Some HC experience with Miami as an interim.  

(IMO)He seems to be a guy around the league that's on everyone's list, and like but never really their guy. Seems like an Anothny Lynn type guy who's a great AHC/position(S) coach everyone respects. (IMO)

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1