New GM and HC candidates?

7 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

I'm worried it's Paton.  I hope Spielman would do a favor to a friend after all the buddyball that happened here recently with the NE guys, but I saw that he was the only candidate to have an in person interview and not over Zoom.  

I'm really hoping it's Dodds.  He's been my top guy all along and now that he canceled an interview and set one up with us makes me really  hope it's going to happen.

Brad Holmes just got a second interview for GM and it's in person. 

5 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I don't know much about Holmes other than his scouting experience. But he knew to draft Aaron Donald which already makes him smarter than everyone in the Lions offices. 

You can add yourself and 2/3 of the people on this forum to that list...

• Like 2
Just now, flyguy1609 said:

I'm still trying to find out more about Holmes, but I kind of like that new up and comer feel. We've had retreads before and it got us nowhere. I just wonder about his coaching preferences. 

Holmes would be a massive red flag to me. A director of college scouting? After they went and announced out loud that someone with experience at the position was going to be something they were looking for?

Hiring a scouting director to be your GM is like hiring a position coach to be HC (and not to mention, the same mistake they just threw away the last four years on). It means you're either not interested in, or not attractive to, the best candidates. Holmes would also say to me that the Fords remain uninterested in hiring someone to run the team who has enough experience to challenge ownership or the sea of cronies.

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 4
4 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I don't know much about Holmes other than his scouting experience. But he knew to draft Aaron Donald which already makes him smarter than everyone in the Lions offices. 

Let’s not forget they also gave up a boat load of picks for Goff, and took Jason Smith and Greg Robinson at #2 overall picks.

15 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Holmes would be a massive red flag to me. A director of college scouting? After they went and announced out loud that someone with experience at the position was going to be something they were looking for?

Hiring a scouting director to be your GM is like hiring a position coach to be HC (and not to mention, the same mistake they just threw away the last four years on). It means you're either not interested in, or not attractive to, the best candidates. Holmes would also say to me that the Fords remain uninterested in hiring someone to run the team who has enough experience to challenge ownership or the sea of cronies.

This is just the first on second in person interviews. According to Breer we will also bring in Fontenot, Ireland, Paton, and Dodds in person soon. Looks like one of those 5 will be our GM. I like the finalist list!

55 minutes ago, BZski said:

This is just the first on second in person interviews. According to Breer we will also bring in Fontenot, Ireland, Paton, and Dodds in person soon. Looks like one of those 5 will be our GM. I like the finalist list!

I obviously like Dodds and I somewhat like Fontenot.  Then perhaps Paton though there is a drop off and I don’t know who he is connected to as far as coaches go.  Not a fan of Ireland at all.  If we can’t land Dodds I actually like Dimitroff as perhaps my next favorite but it is quite the drop off.

Also I’ve come around on Saleh quite a bit.  If we fire him I wouldn’t even mind if we brought Jarrad Davis back on the cheap deap deal.  If you look at the LBs that have been under Saleh when he was the LB coach or DC is pretty amazing. I’d give him a chance to make Davis a project.

9 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Same to me. 

I know you don't want to be completely reactionary or eliminate potentially good candidates, but I'd really prefer someone with GM experience or at least experience close to the top of the organization. 

We tried the up-and-coming wonderkid thing with Quinn and it bombed. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lions017 said:

Same to me. 

I know you don't want to be completely reactionary or eliminate potentially good candidates, but I'd really prefer someone with GM experience or at least experience close to the top of the organization. 

We tried the up-and-coming wonderkid thing with Quinn and it bombed. 

I mean, that is like saying we drafted a QB in the top 5 before and it bombed so we will never draft a QB in the top 5 again.  You can't base a persons skill set, experience, and ability to do a job on previous hires.  Its hard to do but if you do you could easily miss out on the next guy.  GMs don't often get second chances.  So finding one with experience who had success of any sort is tough.  Dorsey is about the only one who turned around two teams recently but was pushed out of both for his inability to work with people and the cap.  Hiring an up and comer can be gold, or can be a bust but guys like Lynch were raw up and comers but have an eye for talent and understand how to build a team and work with a coach.  That is what I am looking for more than experience.  

Same with coaching.  We have hired retreads we have hired rookies.  There is no right or wrong way to hire a coach as long as you get the right guy.  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I mean, that is like saying we drafted a QB in the top 5 before and it bombed so we will never draft a QB in the top 5 again.  You can't base a persons skill set, experience, and ability to do a job on previous hires.  Its hard to do but if you do you could easily miss out on the next guy.  GMs don't often get second chances.  So finding one with experience who had success of any sort is tough.  Dorsey is about the only one who turned around two teams recently but was pushed out of both for his inability to work with people and the cap.  Hiring an up and comer can be gold, or can be a bust but guys like Lynch were raw up and comers but have an eye for talent and understand how to build a team and work with a coach.  That is what I am looking for more than experience.  

Same with coaching.  We have hired retreads we have hired rookies.  There is no right or wrong way to hire a coach as long as you get the right guy.  

I think it is a whole lot easier for a rookie GM to succeed in an established NFL team with a history of winning or has at the very least experienced winning during their owners tenure. If we were the 49ers, Ravens, Broncos, Packers, etc. I'd be more inclined to agree with you. However, we are the Lions and I think the task is a little different than a top 5 rookie qb. Maybe I'm just putting more on the position than necessary.

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

I think it is a whole lot easier for a rookie GM to succeed in an established NFL team with a history of winning or has at the very least experienced winning during their owners tenure. If we were the 49ers, Ravens, Broncos, Packers, etc. I'd be more inclined to agree with you. However, we are the Lions and I think the task is a little different than a top 5 rookie qb. Maybe I'm just putting more on the position than necessary.

I think its important but the Lions have failed with all types of GMs and coaches.  Rookie and experienced.  I have said how important a complete organizational change is to our success because something isn't being done right at the top to allow anyone to succeed.  I can't believe we have hired this many coaches and GMs and all have been utter failures and it being on just those individuals.  They had help failing.  So my take is anyone is going to likely fail here until we change the culture and organization at the top and provide a situation that sets the staff up for winning and being able to focus on what they do best.  My hope is that Spielman is sort of the start of that change and can play a role in going between the GM and Wood.  If not, it doesn't matter who we hire, they will likely fail.  It doesn't work the same the other way, but if we make the changes, or allow someone to make the changes, than we have a chance for something different. 

• Like 3