New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

If you are auditing a failed corporation do you suggest they bring in an inexperienced individual or would you recommend an individual that has a history of successfully turning around failed companies? 

The Lions need lots of changes and a director of college scouting isn’t, in my opinion experienced enough to make those changes properly. He may be brilliant and he may in fact work out but the odds are against it.

As near as I can tell the only person involved in the process that knows football was Spielman. The others they brought in were Detroit area business folks and charity administrators. The entire approach of this organization is ridiculous.

Leading the incompetence is Wood, the Fords yes man. He sits in a position that would be better filled by someone with football knowledge.

So from my experience the Lions have once again hired one of the flavour of the day candidates that lacks the breadth of experience required to rebuild an organization. The Lions dysfunction is much greater than the roster.

If I am auditing a failed company, I will see why they fail and try to help them out.  There isn't a right answer for everything in every world.  If they are struggling in one area, I would tell them to focus on finding someone really good in that area.  We struggle in the draft, so we went and found someone that really struggles in the draft.  I know Spielman has no experience either but he is a good football mind that understands how football teams are built and can hopefully provide assistance with trades/contract structure and other non personnel related things that Holmes may struggle with early on. 

Regarding his position and experience, it depends on the structure of an organization.  In most org charts, there is a GM and then various AGMs that do specific tasks.  AGM doesn't mean you do everything a GM does but in smaller doses.  It means you assist the GM in areas they are weak or need assistance.  How much hands on work has Dodds had with making trades, putting together draft boards etc.  Its tough because different organizations have different titles and structures but the Rams do not have a title called AGM.  So the next level below the GM are in fact AGMs with different titles.  Its the same as a coach who has assistant head coach duties.  They aren't doing everything the HC does, they are taking the lead in certain areas.  

The last part we can agree on.  Having a guy who runs charities run a large organization like the Lions is crazy.  It is a very different beast even if they are both considered not for profit entities.  I don't mind having a non-football guy there but it should be someone who is good enough in business to restructure and make things work.  There are missing links in the structure and Wood has no ability to find them and change them.  Like I said he tried with Spielman, but not sure that is enough.  Yes, the Lions dysfunction is greater than the roster, it always has been, but a GM isnt expected to make changes above him or in a different business segment.  Thats on the Fords, and until they realize their organization is a mess, they will never have an environment conducive to winning consistently. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

If I am auditing a failed company, I will see why they fail and try to help them out.  There isn't a right answer for everything in every world.  If they are struggling in one area, I would tell them to focus on finding someone really good in that area.  We struggle in the draft, so we went and found someone that really struggles in the draft.  I know Spielman has no experience either but he is a good football mind that understands how football teams are built and can hopefully provide assistance with trades/contract structure and other non personnel related things that Holmes may struggle with early on. 

Regarding his position and experience, it depends on the structure of an organization.  In most org charts, there is a GM and then various AGMs that do specific tasks.  AGM doesn't mean you do everything a GM does but in smaller doses.  It means you assist the GM in areas they are weak or need assistance.  How much hands on work has Dodds had with making trades, putting together draft boards etc.  Its tough because different organizations have different titles and structures but the Rams do not have a title called AGM.  So the next level below the GM are in fact AGMs with different titles.  Its the same as a coach who has assistant head coach duties.  They aren't doing everything the HC does, they are taking the lead in certain areas.  

The last part we can agree on.  Having a guy who runs charities run a large organization like the Lions is crazy.  It is a very different beast even if they are both considered not for profit entities.  I don't mind having a non-football guy there but it should be someone who is good enough in business to restructure and make things work.  There are missing links in the structure and Wood has no ability to find them and change them.  Like I said he tried with Spielman, but not sure that is enough.  Yes, the Lions dysfunction is greater than the roster, it always has been, but a GM isnt expected to make changes above him or in a different business segment.  Thats on the Fords, and until they realize their organization is a mess, they will never have an environment conducive to winning consistently. 

We already have someone on staff in Mike Disner for this area. 

Is anybody else at least a little upset that it doesn’t seem like the Lions tried to go after Urban Meyer? Like, that’s the biggest name available. Who knows if it will work out for him in the NFL or not, but if there’s anything this team needs, it’s to be on the national radar. It’s to be in a headline. Every time someone needs to be hired in this organization, it’s an under the radar, boring name. Make a damn splash! Might not work out but gahhh!!!! At least try! 

33 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

Is anybody else at least a little upset that it doesn’t seem like the Lions tried to go after Urban Meyer? Like, that’s the biggest name available. Who knows if it will work out for him in the NFL or not, but if there’s anything this team needs, it’s to be on the national radar. It’s to be in a headline. Every time someone needs to be hired in this organization, it’s an under the radar, boring name. Make a damn splash! Might not work out but gahhh!!!! At least try! 

Like Matt Millen?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HashtagFTW said:

If they landed someone like Dabo Swinney then that is a big splashy name I could support. When we talk Urban he has retired a handful of times due to health issues along with no NFL HC experience. It feels like a bigger risk and stronger likelihood he'll retire again within 5 years. Swinney doesn't carry that risk. This is one situation where I'm ok with being a touch more low key.

8 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I assume this is the Lions not wanting Saleh because the Jets are the one job I can't imagine someone taking over the Lions. Either that or the Jets are paying him wayyyy way over his value.

I am kind of thinking this is the case too. Maybe the rumours of the interview not going well are closer to the truth or at least he wasn't as good as some of the others. 

• Like 1