Jump to content

New GM and HC candidates?


Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

 

It's going to be Bowles IMO. The coaching hires are starting to heat up. He has head coach experience. This is more my preference but he is defensive minded. The offense hasn't been the issue but the defense needs a major turnaround. 

Not sure how I feel about it if it happens. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

It's going to be Bowles IMO. The coaching hires are starting to heat up. He has head coach experience. This is more my preference but he is defensive minded. The offense hasn't been the issue but the defense needs a major turnaround. 

Not sure how I feel about it if it happens. 

I’m with you if we hire him, wonder the staff he’d have 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

It's going to be Bowles IMO. The coaching hires are starting to heat up. He has head coach experience. This is more my preference but he is defensive minded. The offense hasn't been the issue but the defense needs a major turnaround. 

Not sure how I feel about it if it happens. 

That would be an awful hire.  I don't mind them going for someone with experience but it has to be at least good experience.  He was a dumpster fire for the Jets after his first season.  I think this would be an absolutely awful hire. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he is going to be the hire as well.  I will hate it if it happens.

***Edit***

I think it will be one of these 3. I am thinking it will more than likely be Bowles, but would not be surprised with Bevell either.  I think Lewis is more of an outside shot, but more likely than an up and coming rookie coach.

Bowles 1A

Bevell 1B

Lewis 2

Edited by LionArkie
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That would be an awful hire.  I don't mind them going for someone with experience but it has to be at least good experience.  He was a dumpster fire for the Jets after his first season.  I think this would be an absolutely awful hire. 

He was bad, but the level of dysfunction and lack of talent the Jets have since the Afc championship runs has been probably worse than us. A second chance could be warranted. Look at Bill B.. His run in Cleveland was ho hum, and he went on to become the greatest coach in the history of the game. No one saw that when NE first hired him... It was some of the same things people say about any former HC who didn't have a good first run. Not saying Todd is my preference, just offering some perspective I suppose. 

All that said, I think Bev gets the job. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

He was bad, but the level of dysfunction and lack of talent the Jets have since the Afc championship runs has been probably worse than us. A second chance could be warranted. Look at Bill B.. His run in Cleveland was ho hum, and he went on to become the greatest coach in the history of the game. No one saw that when NE first hired him... It was some of the same things people say about any former HC who didn't have a good first run. Not saying Todd is my preference, just offering some perspective I suppose. 

All that said, I think Bev gets the job. 

BB went 11-5 in his second to last year in Cleveland and was such a good assistant under Parcells that NE was willing to part with a first round pick for him.  His defensive genius was identified, Cleveland just gave up too early.  Also he is the exception, not the rule.  You get a lot more Adam Gase or Chip Kelly situations than BB situations. 

Every coach that got a second chance and succeeded had done something worthwhile between to improve their resume (Pete Carroll) or had a decent enough first run to deserve another (Andy Reid, Jeff Fisher) Jim Schwartz has done far more to earn a second chance than Bowles who led Tampa to a 28th ranked defense in his first year and top 10 this year but with additions of talent that makes it easy.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

TODD BOWLES COACHING CONNECTIONS

Name guys at Bowles' various stops. 

OFFENSE

  • Todd Haley (2x) - Coaching HS
  • Ken Whisenhunt - Not currently in football
  • Freddie Kitchens (2x) - Giants TE coach
  • Andy Reid
  • Doug Pederson - ex-Eagles HC
  • Matt Nagy
  • Chan Gailey - ex-Dolphins OC

DEFENSE

  • Mike Nolan (2x) - Ex-Cowboys DC
  • Bruce Arians
  • Chuck Pagano
  • Mike Zimmer

BRUCE ARIANS CONNECTIONS

Bowles and Arians are pretty well connected. Guys that have connections to BA could wind up with TB. 

  • John Pagano - Broncos OLB Coach
  • Vic Fangio - Broncos HC
  • Ken Whisenhunt - Not currently in football

If we connect some of the dots, a future staff could look like:

GM - Brad Holmes

HC - Todd Bowles (57)

OC - Doug Pederson (52)

RB Coach/Run Game Coordinator - Freddie Kitchens (46)

TE Coach - Ken Whisenhunt (58)

DC - John Pagano (53)

LB Coach - Mike Nolan (61)

 

This is likely quite optimistic, or as optimistic as one can be with a Todd Bowles led team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

BB went 11-5 in his second to last year in Cleveland and was such a good assistant under Parcells that NE was willing to part with a first round pick for him.  His defensive genius was identified, Cleveland just gave up too early.  Also he is the exception, not the rule.  You get a lot more Adam Gase or Chip Kelly situations than BB situations. 

Every coach that got a second chance and succeeded had done something worthwhile between to improve their resume (Pete Carroll) or had a decent enough first run to deserve another (Andy Reid, Jeff Fisher) Jim Schwartz has done far more to earn a second chance than Bowles who led Tampa to a 28th ranked defense in his first year and top 10 this year but with additions of talent that makes it easy.  

Great points.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, HashtagFTW said:

Is anybody else at least a little upset that it doesn’t seem like the Lions tried to go after Urban Meyer? Like, that’s the biggest name available. Who knows if it will work out for him in the NFL or not, but if there’s anything this team needs, it’s to be on the national radar. It’s to be in a headline. Every time someone needs to be hired in this organization, it’s an under the radar, boring name. Make a damn splash! Might not work out but gahhh!!!! At least try! 

Not upset at all.  I think he will succeed in Jax but only because it's set up to be Ohio State of the NFL.  That team in a year will be loaded with talent.  I honestly think he's better recruiter than coach.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am hoping for Dan Campbell to be hired as HC at this point. Bowles or Lewis would be terrible hires IMO. I trust Speilman though, which Dan Campbell seems to be cut from the same cloth as CS. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BZski said:

I am hoping for Dan Campbell to be hired as HC at this point. Bowles or Lewis would be terrible hires IMO. I trust Speilman though, which Dan Campbell seems to be cut from the same cloth as CS. 

Lewis at least had some sustained success, with Andy Dalton at QB.  Obviously not great, but more to work with than Bowles. I dont want either but if they hire experienced, I am fine with Lewis but would prefer Doug Pederson.  

I am hoping for Staley at this point.  Dan Campbell could be ok too.  Pretty much I am not optimistic and assume we will be right back here in two or three years anyways.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...