New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

So they’ve further entrenched Wood with everyone reporting to him and he stated roster decisions will be collaborative. Great words but collaboration only works to a point. Someone has to have final say and that looks like Wood.

A GM with a very good record in the the draft but absent other experience.

A HC given a six year contract with interim HC experience but no experience calling plays.

A rumoured DC hire has no experience as a coordinator.

As it sits the Lions have one coach with experience calling plays and X’s and O’s. That’s Bevell who likely won’t be here.

I hope they got it right but it looks like a commitment to a TOTAL rebuild allowing these coaches to learn on the job.

One other point. When this search began the Lions ownership said they were going after experience. Once again they have gone a complete different direction than what was stated.

For the record I think Campbell is the best hire to date but once again the Lions have gone after the cool names and totally disregarded experience.

12 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

So they’ve further entrenched Wood with everyone reporting to him and he stated roster decisions will be collaborative. Great words but collaboration only works to a point. Someone has to have final say and that looks like Wood.

A GM with a very good record in the the draft but absent other experience.

A HC given a six year contract with interim HC experience but no experience calling plays.

A rumoured DC hire has no experience as a coordinator.

As it sits the Lions have one coach with experience calling plays and X’s and O’s. That’s Bevell who likely won’t be here.

I hope they got it right but it looks like a commitment to a TOTAL rebuild allowing these coaches to learn on the job.

One other point. When this search began the Lions ownership said they were going after experience. Once again they have gone a complete different direction than what was stated.

For the record I think Campbell is the best hire to date but once again the Lions have gone after the cool names and totally disregarded experience.

Do you think this could be because the experienced options (ex. Lewis or Bowles) either did not fit what they wanted in a coach or they did not want to come here? 

11 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The Charges hired Staley, wish we would have gone that route.  I will hope for Campbell but makes me nervous with his total lack of developing or calling plays on either side of the ball.  Could be a major failure or a major success.  I don't see much in between in potential outcomes.  

It feels like they don't want a guy who is a coordinator that is also responsible for the rest of the organization. Being the 'CEO' of the team does allow Campbell to have more of a macro view of the team, be the 'rah rah'/team builder and let his coordinators focus on the task at hand. It might pay off and be the best thing as being a HC is obviously a ton of responsibility. I would feel more confident in this approach with veteran coordinators almost acting like the HC of their respective side. With an inexperienced DC (assuming it is Glenn), it does give me some pause. Brandon Staley just had the #1 defense in the league and is now the HC of the Chargers with one year of experience. (Note: does Holmes get to bring Aaron Donald with him, maybe as a parting gift from the Rams?). 

I'd be far more comfortable with Anthony Lynn or Darrell Bevell running the offense. Some of these other guys could turn out to be really good coaches but everyone would be just so green that I would not imagine a lot of success for a couple years. 

• Like 2

I'm no the record for not wanting Campbell; having said that now that he's our guy it is fun to root for him.  What's done is done and now I'm able to get excited to like him.  I still have my doubts that he will be successful but I think even if he's not you will still root for him because he's not a dummy like Marinelli and he's not a jerk like Patricia.  

Edited by Millenhater
  • Like 2

We've brought in James Urban (Ravens QB coach) to interview for OC. 

I would personally not be thrilled with this move. I don't really know a lot about Urban and he could be a really good coach but that would mean we have zero experience in our GM, HC, OC and DC. None of our top level coaching staff would have any experience calling plays. 

Instead of a "retooling", we would be pulling out the cartridge, giving it a hard shake, blowing into the console and then hitting "start". 

FWIW - Jeff Albrich is joining Robert Saleh in New York as DC. 

HC - Robert Saleh

OC - Mike Lafleur (San Francisco)

DC - Jeff Ulbrich (Atlanta)

Saleh and Campbell are always going to be tied together, just as Vrabel and Patricia (we didn't win that one) are and the same as Whisenhunt and Caldwell (we sort of won this one). 

Edited by Karnage84